Some comments on this QB class from folks around the NFL

18 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I love me some Mac Jones, and I hate Bama. Hahaha That guy has poise eyeball deep. Best accuracy in football and the highest long ball rate of all.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if something happens and someone goes all Mayfield on him and jumps up to 3 to get him ahead of us. Everyone says Tua isn't the answer for Miami and if that's the case, QBs could go 1, 2 and 3 in the draft. Miami is a win now mode though so I could see them making a mad push for Watson on draft day. I think the asking price from Houston will drop once draft day arrives and that fiasco escalates even more between now and then (Watson has said he will sit out and not play - worst thing that could happen to Houston who has no top draft picks). Although it will be tough to pull off a draft day trade of this caliber.

The whole top 3-4 picks will be crazy I think. I'm hoping we trade down, but it's hard to say what we'll do. I think history says TF and AS like to pull QBs from somewhere other than the draft, and we definitely have some holes to fill. 

Can Sewell play RT? I could see us beefing up the trenches, and it's way too early for DT or DE at #4.

Sewell could but his money is at LT. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty spot on.     but this Mac Jones thing is killing me.  Nobody said that about Joe Burrow last season.  And the season before when Tua got hurt and Jones was thrown into the fire he still

Don't worry, when the only comment that can be made about a QB is "he had a lot of talent around him."  As the draft nears, it gets harder and harder to discredit his accomplishments. I don't thi

Drafting Trask at any point in the draft would be like drafting Ryan to learn behind himself. The TATF mobile QB droolers would go nuts. 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:41 AM, dirtybirds233 said:

Excluded Lawrence from this because he clearly won't be an option if the Falcons elect to draft a QB. 

Justin Fields:

"I'm not sold on the scheme making him NFL-ready, but everything you hear [from coaches at Ohio State] is that he's really smart and well-prepared. I love his athleticism, but his arm is just OK. Scheme is going to matter a lot for him. I hope wherever he goes they build around him with run-after-catch receivers and a good run game." — NFL quarterbacks coach

"You are betting on his continued development for sure,"

"Fields' running ability gives you comfort as he learns the offense."

Zach Wilson:

"He fits where the league is headed—playmaker with a big arm who makes a lot of wow throws and can win with his legs. I have no idea how ready to play he is because the scheme is backyard football and he hasn't played anyone." — NFL college scouting director

“Johnny Manziel comp without the drugs. He is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch." - NFC East Scout 

Trey Lance:

"Playing in that one game [against Central Arkansas] was a mistake, but he has such nice traits that someone will fall in love with his game. Even if he doesn't become a great passer, he's so dangerous with his legs that he can start in this league." — AFC area scout

Mac Jones:

"You have to worry about the talent around him, especially last year, but he throws a beautiful deep ball and I love his toughness and moxie." — NFL quarterbacks coach

Kyle Trask:

"Very scheme-specific player. Can win from the pocket and has a good arm. Best asset is his vision and putting the ball in a spot his guys can make a play on it. Lack of mobility is going to be the biggest knock." — Former NFL general manager

I think Trevor Lawrence is never going to be a cerebral guy who can pick apart a defense. I see him being more of a Cam Newton type QB without the funny hats. 

Justin Fields would take 3 years minimum to learn the NFL game before he could go through his progressions before tucking and running. His upside potential if all finally clicks in is Russell Wilson-ish but I don't know if he has the discipline to get to that level.

IMO Zach Wilson reminds me of a young Brett Favre. He's a gunslinger and like Favre he'll have to learn to dial it back and throw the ball away on occasion. If he continues playing the same game in the NFL that he plays in college I hope he can play hurt like Favre did.

Trey Lance: same offense and same skill set as Carson Wentz. That would be my comp for him.

Last but not least is my pick for the best QB of the bunch, Mac Jones. Comp: you guessed it Matt Ryan. Jones has a stronger arm and his accuracy and ability to process the field and make the right decisions is on par with a Matt Ryan. The only thing he lacks is NFL experience. Learning from Matt about how to lead and be a pro will have Jones ready in year 2 to compete. 

How many of us lamented the fact that this franchise seemingly wasted the carreer of the best QB to wear red and black. Maybe we can have 10+more years to get it right only his name is Mac Jones. 

I'd love to see Matt finally get his ring over the next couple of years in ATL then have a seamless transition to Mac. I know, a lot of you guys want to see a circus act out there but there are no Patrick Mahomes in this draft.

Of the 5 QB's considered to be the to 5 my list would be:

1 Mac Jones

2 Zach Wilson

3 Justin Fields

4 Trever Lawrence

5 Trey Lance

On 2/5/2021 at 8:29 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

No, that rumor was proved to be not true

Criticism of BYU quarterback Zach Wilson misfires, gets blowback

When an unnamed source leveled spurious claims about Zach Wilson, the reaction was nuclear

By **** Harmon, Columnist@Harmonwrites  Dec 27, 2020, 3:14pm MST

It’s the unnamed sources hiding behind anonymity, monikers on social media that have become the bane of our modern day. BYU junior quarterback Zach Wilson was the target of such this past week, and it may have backfired sensationally.

Earlier last week, the website Walter Football quoted a director of college scouting for an NFC team who said he had learned from an unnamed source that Wilson had “character issues.”

“(Wilson) has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he’s a know-it-all,” said a teaser quote for Walter’s Football on Twitter.

To his teammates and coaches, this was the biggest stretch of pasture biscuits they’d ever heard.

That, more than anything else in this story, was the most impressive aspect of the attack.

His mates had his back.

The motivations behind the attack are unclear. Maybe someone wanted to knock him down a bit so he’d be available for them to draft him. Some analysts put Wilson as the No. 2 or 3 quarterback in the draft, a first-round pick.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/27/22200637/zach-wilson-walters-football-byu-college-nfl-draft-cougars-teamates-criticism

Adam Schefter responds to Zach Wilson’s reported character concerns, predicts when he’ll be drafted

Jacob Hutchinson
Posted on December 24, 2020

ZachWilsonBoca.png

© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a whole lot of buzz about that bright-eyed kid from BYU. Zach Wilson’s draft stock has exploded this year, with his outstanding arm strength and physical dynamism. He has shown the ability to run when needed or when designed, while also pushing the ball downfield.

On Wednesday, there was a report from Walter Football, quoting NFL scouts that Wilson had some character concerns. Per the report, a director of college scouting from a NFC team said Wilson was… “Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was stunned by this. He joined the Murph and Mac Show on Thursday with Adam Copeland and Marcus Thompson, and was taken aback by Copeland telling him about the report.

Schefter said he had gotten off the phone with a source telling him about Wilson moments before joining the show, and said he’s only heard rave reviews. His belief? Wilson, not Justin Fields, is the second quarterback picked in the NFL Draft, meaning he may well be outside of the 49ers’ range, and likely to the New York Jets, at No. 2.

“Wow. I mean, first of all, everything you said there just floored me and it floored me because number one, I think he’s gonna be the second quarterback picked, not the third,” Schefter said. “I think he’ll go second. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the guy, and that he got quote unquote “special intangibles.” I hung up the phone, literally before I came on the show, with somebody who was telling me all about him, and it couldn’t have been any further from what you said. I can’t even believe we’re talking about the same guy.”

He said he would have to continue calling around the league because the “portrait” that was painted for him was nothing like the one from the Walter Football report.

“I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

Again, who cares but I see it as privilege

10 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Trevor Lawrence is the only QB in the draft that isn’t a project. He is the only one that can come in and start day 1 imo. I don’t care about who is more of a project because Wilson and Fields needs to sit for a year 

To be clear I don't like any of these QB's. And the truth is all rookie QB's would do well to sit a year.

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

yes it is

:shrug:

3 hours ago, slider said:

I think Trevor Lawrence is never going to be a cerebral guy who can pick apart a defense. I see him being more of a Cam Newton type QB without the funny hats. 

Justin Fields would take 3 years minimum to learn the NFL game before he could go through his progressions before tucking and running. His upside potential if all finally clicks in is Russell Wilson-ish but I don't know if he has the discipline to get to that level.

IMO Zach Wilson reminds me of a young Brett Favre. He's a gunslinger and like Favre he'll have to learn to dial it back and throw the ball away on occasion. If he continues playing the same game in the NFL that he plays in college I hope he can play hurt like Favre did.

Trey Lance: same offense and same skill set as Carson Wentz. That would be my comp for him.

Last but not least is my pick for the best QB of the bunch, Mac Jones. Comp: you guessed it Matt Ryan. Jones has a stronger arm and his accuracy and ability to process the field and make the right decisions is on par with a Matt Ryan. The only thing he lacks is NFL experience. Learning from Matt about how to lead and be a pro will have Jones ready in year 2 to compete. 

How many of us lamented the fact that this franchise seemingly wasted the carreer of the best QB to wear red and black. Maybe we can have 10+more years to get it right only his name is Mac Jones. 

I'd love to see Matt finally get his ring over the next couple of years in ATL then have a seamless transition to Mac. I know, a lot of you guys want to see a circus act out there but there are no Patrick Mahomes in this draft.

Of the 5 QB's considered to be the to 5 my list would be:

1 Mac Jones

2 Zach Wilson

3 Justin Fields

4 Trever Lawrence

5 Trey Lance

You have Trevor Lawrence all wrong. He was breaking down defenses on film his freshman year at Cartersville High School. What exactly makes you think Trevor isn’t cerebral and like Cam Newton?

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

What is privilege?  There is nothing he has done that screams privilege.  Not a single thing...unless we are knocking him for having a successful family, which would be utterly foolish

He’s the worst Fields stan on here. He only comments on here to sow dissension. He doesn’t care to learn, understand or discuss with his limited football perspective.

10 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

You have Trevor Lawrence all wrong. He was breaking down defenses on film his freshman year at Cartersville High School. What exactly makes you think Trevor isn’t cerebral and like Cam Newton?

Trevor is way over hyped IMO. Great athlete, big strong guy with a big arm which always gets you the job but when it comes to keeping it, give me Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees or even Alex Smith type guys anyday. Everybody breaks down defenses on film. Birds eye views give you all the info but can he read the defense by the movement of the one or two guys he can see from under center and know where the ball needs to go and throw it to a spot where only his man can get it and complete 70%? I don't think he's that guy. He's a big strong athlete with a canon arm that can see an already open receiver and throw it accurately to him, when he learns that in the NFL that's too late. He'll try to run a lot to make up for being late on the timing......... Hello Cam, jr. Just my opinion after watching him. Doesn't matter where he went to high school.

17 minutes ago, slider said:

Trevor is way over hyped IMO. Great athlete, big strong guy with a big arm which always gets you the job but when it comes to keeping it, give me Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees or even Alex Smith type guys anyday. Everybody breaks down defenses on film. Birds eye views give you all the info but can he read the defense by the movement of the one or two guys he can see from under center and know where the ball needs to go and throw it to a spot where only his man can get it and complete 70%? I don't think he's that guy. He's a big strong athlete with a canon arm that can see an already open receiver and throw it accurately to him, when he learns that in the NFL that's too late. He'll try to run a lot to make up for being late on the timing......... Hello Cam, jr. Just my opinion after watching him. Doesn't matter where he went to high school.

That’s all fine but you said he isn’t cerebral. Where did you get that from? That’s the only thing I was talking about. And you’re completely wrong not everyone can break down defenses on film. That ish is hard. Have you ever tried it?

22 minutes ago, slider said:

And Cam’s problem is his mechanics. Not his ability to read defenses. He wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did as a starter if he couldn’t because NFL DCs would have picked up on that. But what do I know 😂

11 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Allot of folks talking out of their a$$ about Lawrence. If he stays healthy, he’ll be a great one. 

I know Mac jones had good players around him, but I rewatched the Ohio st game and he was practically flawless. Quick release, throws it where only the receiver can catch it and he seems to have legit leadership skills. Playing under Saban is a plus as well. By the time the draft rolls around he might not be there at 4..

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

That’s all fine but you said he isn’t cerebral. Where did you get that from? That’s the only thing I was talking about. And you’re completely wrong not everyone can break down defenses on film. That ish is hard. Have you ever tried it?

Film helps the coaches, and yes I was one, translate to the players what they should look for on the field. If that player, ie.. the QB demonstrated a unique skill that he can do that deciphering himself and take it to the field, most coaches will develop the offense that allows that QB to run a more flexible system and get his team into the right play for the coverage and reset the protection...etc. I don't see Lawrence doing that. If you watch the college tapes of guys like Manning (both), Ryan and Brees and oh Mac Jones, you'll see a guy that's controlling the offense on the field. Those guys dictate to the defense they don't react to it. I see Lawrence as a guy that stares at the sidelines waiting for the play call from a coach whose reading the coverage for him then when he sees a guy hold up a sign with Abe Lincoln on it he runs the play and reacts to what he sees after the snap. He does this better than anyone in college football. He can be tought a lot by a good coach to become more like a coach on the field but I don't see that in him now. That's OK, the Cam Newton, Micheal Vick, Lamar Jackson type QB can take a team a long way, maybe all the way but I don't personally think that style works consistently enough for long term success. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, slider said:

Film helps the coaches, and yes I was one, translate to the players what they should look for on the field. If that player, ie.. the QB demonstrated a unique skill that he can do that deciphering himself and take it to the field, most coaches will develop the offense that allows that QB to run a more flexible system and get his team into the right play for the coverage and reset the protection...etc. I don't see Lawrence doing that. If you watch the college tapes of guys like Manning (both), Ryan and Brees and oh Mac Jones, you'll see a guy that's controlling the offense on the field. Those guys dictate to the defense they don't react to it. I see Lawrence as a guy that stares at the sidelines waiting for the play call from a coach whose reading the coverage for him then when he sees a guy hold up a sign with Abe Lincoln on it he runs the play and reacts to what he sees after the snap. He does this better than anyone in college football. He can be tought a lot by a good coach to become more like a coach on the field but I don't see that in him now. That's OK, the Cam Newton, Micheal Vick, Lamar Jackson type QB can take a team a long way, maybe all the way but I don't personally think that style works consistently enough for long term success. Just my opinion.

Gotcha man. Everyone has opinions and you’re definitely entitled to yours👍🏾