Jump to content

Some comments on this QB class from folks around the NFL


Recommended Posts

Just now, Lornoth said:

Exactly, it's more than just having a strong arm or not, despite what TaTF thinks. A lot goes into a pass, and faster release, ball trajectory, wrist snap, it all goes into how a ball moves in the air. Wilson has a wider range of how he can pass the ball than Fields does right now. One of the ways that helps him is his bullet passes are much faster than Fields'. That's what I see anyway.

Agreed. Wilsons whole throwing motion is smooth and lightning fast with very little wasted motion(great for tight windows, redzone, and overall confidence). He improved his throwing mechanics extensively after his surgery and it jumps off to those with an eye. 

Fields most likely can improve his throwing motion like Josh Allen did after he was drafted. But coming out right now I’d say Wilson has the more versatile arm.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty spot on.     but this Mac Jones thing is killing me.  Nobody said that about Joe Burrow last season.  And the season before when Tua got hurt and Jones was thrown into the fire he still

Don't worry, when the only comment that can be made about a QB is "he had a lot of talent around him."  As the draft nears, it gets harder and harder to discredit his accomplishments. I don't thi

Drafting Trask at any point in the draft would be like drafting Ryan to learn behind himself. The TATF mobile QB droolers would go nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Agreed. Wilsons whole throwing motion is smooth and lightning fast with very little wasted motion(great for tight windows, redzone, and overall confidence). He improved his throwing mechanics extensively after his surgery and it jumps off to those with an eye. 

Fields most likely can improve his throwing motion like Josh Allen did after he was drafted. But coming out right now I’d say Wilson has the more versatile arm.

 

His throwing motion is a huge red flag to some scouts too since it’s unconventional and he has had surgery on his throwing shoulder 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

You aren’t throwing a football long distance without velocity. 

My point is Fields has a great touch pass but his bullets need work. That's all. Wilson already has both them and more down.

3 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Agreed. Wilsons whole throwing motion is smooth and lightning fast with very little wasted motion(great for tight windows, redzone, and overall confidence). He improved his throwing mechanics extensively after his surgery and it jumps off to those with an eye. 

Fields most likely can improve his throwing motion like Josh Allen did after he was drafted. But coming out right now I’d say Wilson has the more versatile arm.

 

Certainly not saying Fields can't improve. They all can and have to in order to make it at the next level. But there's a reason Fields is more of a project than the two guys above him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

His throwing motion is a huge red flag to some scouts too since it’s unconventional and he has had surgery on his throwing shoulder 

He had surgery on his shoulder from getting landed on in high school. Just like Ryan injured his non throwing shoulder at the end of the 2012 nfccg. Not the same injury yes I know but still a shoulder injury none the less. Wilson’s release is quick, efficient, and multi-faceted. You guys got this all wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

He had surgery on his shoulder from getting landed on in high school. Just like Ryan injured his non throwing shoulder at the end of the 2012 nfccg. Not the same injury yes I know but still a shoulder injury none the less. Wilson’s release is quick, efficient, and multi-faceted. You guys got this all wrong. 

I have no idea what I have wrong lol. Are you saying you disagree with scouts that said Zach Wilson has an unconventional throwing motion? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

My point is Fields has a great touch pass but his bullets need work. That's all. Wilson already has both them and more down.

Certainly not saying Fields can't improve. They all can and have to in order to make it at the next level. But there's a reason Fields is more of a project than the two guys above him.

Trevor Lawrence is the only QB in the draft that isn’t a project. He is the only one that can come in and start day 1 imo. I don’t care about who is more of a project because Wilson and Fields needs to sit for a year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, youngbloodz said:

I have no idea what I have wrong lol. Are you saying you disagree with scouts that said Zach Wilson has an unconventional throwing motion? 

I’ve seen way more scouts rave about his throwing motion than literally any scout say its unconventional. His throwing motion is actually very similar to Bradys when you look closely.
 

I mean shoot they were born on the same day, the alignment of the sun probably had similar influence on their biology😂😂😂.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

I’ve seen way more scouts rave about his throwing motion than literally any scout say its unconventional. His throwing motion is actually very similar to Bradys when you look closely.
 

I mean shoot they were born on the same day, the alignment of the sun probably had similar influence on their biology😂😂😂.

Just because they like it doesn’t mean it isn’t unconventional. That doesn’t mean it’s bad or good. Like Phillip Rivers had one. But it worked great for him. Borderline Hall of Fame career with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, youngbloodz said:

Just because they like it doesn’t make it unconventional. That doesn’t mean it’s bad or good. Like Phillip Rivers had one. But it worked great for him. Borderline Hall of Fame career with it. 

I just don’t see in the slightest how Wilson’s throwing motion is going to negatively impact his arm/shoulder over time. It just feels like a reach to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

I just don’t see in the slightest how Wilson’s throwing motion is going to negatively impact his arm/shoulder over time. It just feels like a reach to me.

Wouldn’t be the first time scouts reached on things. But his medicals will be huge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading threads always reminds me how diverse we are with opinions.  The one I want to know is Arthur Smith's.  I'd like to know what his coordinators have on their wish lists.  "We have these players under contract, I can work with X% of them.  This is what I need to do X"  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, youngbloodz said:

I’m not either. But if I was a GM or owner that will invest millions of dollars and a high draft pick I would. Especially the GM because your job could depend on it

True that always better to be safe. It turns out TLaw is getting the same surgery to his left shoulder this offseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Jacksonville better get all that info too which I’m sure they will. Like you said better safe than sorry. 

It was labrum surgery. He's well past it now so shouldn't be an issue at all. Having had the same surgery, my shoulder is stronger now than it was prior.

I think Wilson will be the 2nd QB off the board, probably to the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

It was labrum surgery. He's well past it now so shouldn't be an issue at all. Having had the same surgery, my shoulder is stronger now than it was prior.

I think Wilson will be the 2nd QB off the board, probably to the Jets.

It’s on his throwing shoulder and he is a QB that likes to run. You weren’t an NFL QB and wasn’t about to get a multi million dollar contract to be one. These teams asked Dei Bryant was his mom a prostitute. Also Wilson had surgery on his throwing hand. They will go over every inch of their lives. From medicals to who in their family has done time in prison

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

It’s on his throwing shoulder and he is a QB that likes to run. You weren’t an NFL QB and wasn’t about to get a multi million dollar contract to be one. These teams asked Dei Bryant was his mom a prostitute. Also Wilson had surgery on his throwing hand. They will go over every inch of their lives. From medicals to who in their family has done time in prison

No I wasn't.  I was in the military doing multiple deployments. I'm sure his surgeon was much better than mine. Of course he'll get the full medical screening, but it's a labrum. They can anchor that thing in with 5 anchors and it'll never be a problem again. And he was uber young when it happened. He's also a great interviewer. He'll clear his medical and still probably be the 2nd QB taken. His only weaknesses are slow reading progressions (which can be coached out) and possibly a bit of a spoiled rich kid, but he's known to command the respect of his teammates and he's far more advanced in all areas than is Fields. Scouts expect he'll best fit in a zone scheme (LaFleur anyone). He'll be a Jet if they don't trade for Watson (and why would they give up even 2 first round picks - the asking price is 3 - when a younger potentially Watson-esque Wilson is available at no draft cost).

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but it is the Jets. They could grab Pitts with the 2nd pick. 🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

No I wasn't.  I was in the military doing multiple deployments. I'm sure his surgeon was much better than mine. Of course he'll get the full medical screening, but it's a labrum. They can anchor that thing in with 5 anchors and it'll never be a problem again. And he was uber young when it happened. He's also a great interviewer. He'll clear his medical and still probably be the 2nd QB taken. His only weaknesses are slow reading progressions (which can be coached out) and possibly a bit of a spoiled rich kid, but he's known to command the respect of his teammates and he's far more advanced in all areas than is Fields. Scouts expect he'll best fit in a zone scheme (LaFleur anyone). He'll be a Jet if they don't trade for Watson (and why would they give up even 2 first round picks - the asking price is 3 - when a younger potentially Watson-esque Wilson is available at no draft cost).

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but it is the Jets. They could grab Pitts with the 2nd pick. 🤣🤣🤣

Youre looking at it from a fan’s POV. Wilson has had surgery on his throwing hand and shoulder. His medicals will gone over very closely. The Jets very well could have Fields as a higher graded player on their board. But if they could trade for Watson that would be smart. Who knows if Wilson will be good. ****, I bet the Chargers thought Ryan Leaf would be great. Watson is great right now. Wilson could be but nobody knows. I think the Jets could stay with Darnold though if they don’t trade for Watson. It will be interesting to see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

It was labrum surgery. He's well past it now so shouldn't be an issue at all. Having had the same surgery, my shoulder is stronger now than it was prior.

I think Wilson will be the 2nd QB off the board, probably to the Jets.

I hope so....that leaves the QB w/ the higher ceiling there for the Falcons at #4 - assuming no one else moves to #3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Youre looking at it from a fan’s POV. Wilson has had surgery on his throwing hand and shoulder. His medicals will gone over very closely. The Jets very well could have Fields as a higher graded player on their board. But if they could trade for Watson that would be smart. Who knows if Wilson will be good. ****, I bet the Chargers thought Ryan Leaf would be great. Watson is great right now. Wilson could be but nobody knows. I think the Jets could stay with Darnold though if they don’t trade for Watson. It will be interesting to see. 

True it will be interesting. And honestly, I've been the guy who thinks Zach has the biggest bust potential in this whole draft. He is assuredly the anti-Arthur Smith. I've said repeatedly I would take Mac Jones over him, so no, I'm not looking at it from a fan's POV. 

I've read every scouting report there is on him that I could find, because a lot if what's been said in this thread, and if I'm being objective, he is easily the 2nd best QB in this draft (it really isn't even debatable). The statistics he's generated are all after his surgeries. If there's any proof about medical there it is.

I expect the Jets will see all the positives which actually align almost perfectly with the type of offense LaFleur will be running, and they'll like his potential as much as they do Watson, who has a propensity for injury even moreso than Wilson (ACL vs labrum, the ACL is much more critical to Watson's game and the labrum is much less intrusive).

There's really not anything to not like about Wilson, other than he might be just the opposite of AS. His biggest concern among scouts is whether he will go on mission or not as a LDS member.

But the Jets or anyone else could look at him like I have been (and kind of still do) and put him on their do not draft list. Being the crap shoot that it is, I still think he'll be off the board with the second pick, whether it's the Jets, Houston or Carolina (or anyone else). After his interviews, medical screenings and skills analysis it will probably be like "There's Lawrence and Wilson, and then everyone else."

I still don't want him, but QBs are so highly overdrafted, I think there's a good chance he'll be long gone before we select. And I won't be mad about it.

Actually, I'm trying to decide if I would like to see him in Carolina so we can beat him down with Pees' defense. 😅😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, celtiksage said:

True it will be interesting. And honestly, I've been the guy who thinks Zach has the biggest bust potential in this whole draft. He is assuredly the anti-Arthur Smith. I've said repeatedly I would take Mac Jones over him, so no, I'm not looking at it from a fan's POV. 

I've read every scouting report there is on him that I could find, because a lot if what's been said in this thread, and if I'm being objective, he is easily the 2nd best QB in this draft (it really isn't even debatable). The statistics he's generated are all after his surgeries. If there's any proof about medical there it is.

I expect the Jets will see all the positives which actually align almost perfectly with the type of offense LaFleur will be running, and they'll like his potential as much as they do Watson, who has a propensity for injury even moreso than Wilson (ACL vs labrum, the ACL is much more critical to Watson's game and the labrum is much less intrusive).

There's really not anything to not like about Wilson, other than he might be just the opposite of AS. His biggest concern among scouts is whether he will go on mission or not as a LDS member.

But the Jets or anyone else could look at him like I have been (and kind of still do) and put him on their do not draft list. Being the crap shoot that it is, I still think he'll be off the board with the second pick, whether it's the Jets, Houston or Carolina (or anyone else). After his interviews, medical screenings and skills analysis it will probably be like "There's Lawrence and Wilson, and then everyone else."

I still don't want him, but QBs are so highly overdrafted, I think there's a good chance he'll be long gone before select. And I won't be mad about it.

Actually, I'm trying to decide if I would like to see him in Carolina so we can beat him down with Pees' defense. 😅😅

Now Mac Jones will be interesting too. I heard that both the Saints and Pats like him. Obviously the Saints would have to trade up. But he is growing on me now

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Now Mac Jones will be interesting too. I heard that both the Saints and Pats like him. Obviously the Saints would have to trade up. But he is growing on me now

I love me some Mac Jones, and I hate Bama. Hahaha That guy has poise eyeball deep. Best accuracy in football and the highest long ball rate of all.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if something happens and someone goes all Mayfield on him and jumps up to 3 to get him ahead of us. Everyone says Tua isn't the answer for Miami and if that's the case, QBs could go 1, 2 and 3 in the draft. Miami is a win now mode though so I could see them making a mad push for Watson on draft day. I think the asking price from Houston will drop once draft day arrives and that fiasco escalates even more between now and then (Watson has said he will sit out and not play - worst thing that could happen to Houston who has no top draft picks). Although it will be tough to pull off a draft day trade of this caliber.

The whole top 3-4 picks will be crazy I think. I'm hoping we trade down, but it's hard to say what we'll do. I think history says TF and AS like to pull QBs from somewhere other than the draft, and we definitely have some holes to fill. 

Can Sewell play RT? I could see us beefing up the trenches, and it's way too early for DT or DE at #4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...