Some comments on this QB class from folks around the NFL

6 hours ago, blknoble357 said:

Zach Wilson is a mental case

No, that rumor was proved to be not true

Criticism of BYU quarterback Zach Wilson misfires, gets blowback

When an unnamed source leveled spurious claims about Zach Wilson, the reaction was nuclear

By **** Harmon, Columnist@Harmonwrites  Dec 27, 2020, 3:14pm MST

It’s the unnamed sources hiding behind anonymity, monikers on social media that have become the bane of our modern day. BYU junior quarterback Zach Wilson was the target of such this past week, and it may have backfired sensationally.

Earlier last week, the website Walter Football quoted a director of college scouting for an NFC team who said he had learned from an unnamed source that Wilson had “character issues.”

“(Wilson) has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he’s a know-it-all,” said a teaser quote for Walter’s Football on Twitter.

To his teammates and coaches, this was the biggest stretch of pasture biscuits they’d ever heard.

That, more than anything else in this story, was the most impressive aspect of the attack.

His mates had his back.

The motivations behind the attack are unclear. Maybe someone wanted to knock him down a bit so he’d be available for them to draft him. Some analysts put Wilson as the No. 2 or 3 quarterback in the draft, a first-round pick.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/27/22200637/zach-wilson-walters-football-byu-college-nfl-draft-cougars-teamates-criticism

Adam Schefter responds to Zach Wilson’s reported character concerns, predicts when he’ll be drafted

Jacob Hutchinson
Posted on December 24, 2020

ZachWilsonBoca.png

© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a whole lot of buzz about that bright-eyed kid from BYU. Zach Wilson’s draft stock has exploded this year, with his outstanding arm strength and physical dynamism. He has shown the ability to run when needed or when designed, while also pushing the ball downfield.

On Wednesday, there was a report from Walter Football, quoting NFL scouts that Wilson had some character concerns. Per the report, a director of college scouting from a NFC team said Wilson was… “Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was stunned by this. He joined the Murph and Mac Show on Thursday with Adam Copeland and Marcus Thompson, and was taken aback by Copeland telling him about the report.

Schefter said he had gotten off the phone with a source telling him about Wilson moments before joining the show, and said he’s only heard rave reviews. His belief? Wilson, not Justin Fields, is the second quarterback picked in the NFL Draft, meaning he may well be outside of the 49ers’ range, and likely to the New York Jets, at No. 2.

“Wow. I mean, first of all, everything you said there just floored me and it floored me because number one, I think he’s gonna be the second quarterback picked, not the third,” Schefter said. “I think he’ll go second. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the guy, and that he got quote unquote “special intangibles.” I hung up the phone, literally before I came on the show, with somebody who was telling me all about him, and it couldn’t have been any further from what you said. I can’t even believe we’re talking about the same guy.”

He said he would have to continue calling around the league because the “portrait” that was painted for him was nothing like the one from the Walter Football report.

“I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty spot on.     but this Mac Jones thing is killing me.  Nobody said that about Joe Burrow last season.  And the season before when Tua got hurt and Jones was thrown into the fire he still

Don't worry, when the only comment that can be made about a QB is "he had a lot of talent around him."  As the draft nears, it gets harder and harder to discredit his accomplishments. I don't thi

Drafting Trask at any point in the draft would be like drafting Ryan to learn behind himself. The TATF mobile QB droolers would go nuts. 

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

No, that rumor was proved to be not true

Adam Schefter responds to Zach Wilson’s reported character concerns, predicts when he’ll be drafted

Jacob Hutchinson
Posted on December 24, 2020

ZachWilsonBoca.png

© Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a whole lot of buzz about that bright-eyed kid from BYU. Zach Wilson’s draft stock has exploded this year, with his outstanding arm strength and physical dynamism. He has shown the ability to run when needed or when designed, while also pushing the ball downfield.

On Wednesday, there was a report from Walter Football, quoting NFL scouts that Wilson had some character concerns. Per the report, a director of college scouting from a NFC team said Wilson was… “Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was stunned by this. He joined the Murph and Mac Show on Thursday with Adam Copeland and Marcus Thompson, and was taken aback by Copeland telling him about the report.

Schefter said he had gotten off the phone with a source telling him about Wilson moments before joining the show, and said he’s only heard rave reviews. His belief? Wilson, not Justin Fields, is the second quarterback picked in the NFL Draft, meaning he may well be outside of the 49ers’ range, and likely to the New York Jets, at No. 2.

“Wow. I mean, first of all, everything you said there just floored me and it floored me because number one, I think he’s gonna be the second quarterback picked, not the third,” Schefter said. “I think he’ll go second. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the guy, and that he got quote unquote “special intangibles.” I hung up the phone, literally before I came on the show, with somebody who was telling me all about him, and it couldn’t have been any further from what you said. I can’t even believe we’re talking about the same guy.”

He said he would have to continue calling around the league because the “portrait” that was painted for him was nothing like the one from the Walter Football report.

“I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

Not true? May be it is nothing but even Adam Schefter admits he talked to only few who knows him. This is from source you posted. Got to vet it out before claiming not true. 

I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

1 hour ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

With having noodle arm matt for years, saying Fields arm strength is "ok"...... nah... I want a qb that can throw a ball on a rope 75 yards down the field!!!     Sorry not sorry 👋 😐 

Can’t help but think all this Fields hate by the media and this propping up of Zach Wilson has to do with race ... Fields been QB2 in this draft for 2 years he has 2 bad games all of a sudden he’s 3 or 4 LOL even better when we don’t have to trade up to get him Fields at 4 Etienne at 35 

11 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Can’t help but think all this Fields hate by the media and this propping up of Zach Wilson has to do with race ... Fields been QB2 in this draft for 2 years he has 2 bad games all of a sudden he’s 3 or 4 LOL even better when we don’t have to trade up to get him Fields at 4 Etienne at 35 

Its 2021....nobody likes white people, but nice try.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Its 2021....nobody likes white people, but nice try.

true, but he's right as well - there is Justin Fields hate out there from a lot of places - mainly a large segment of the Dawgs fanbase.    Justin did what he had to do when he left UGA - he did the right thing - and I say that really frustrated as I felt UGA would have won a Natty one of these last two years had he stayed.

25 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Not true? May be it is nothing but even Adam Schefter admits he talked to only few who knows him. This is from source you posted. Got to vet it out before claiming not true. 

I’ve heard Zach Wilson is an incredible kid, but again, a little bit new on the scene,” Schefter said. “Have to vet it out, check him out, make more calls, but I know people that know him pretty well, and they speak pretty highly about him.”

I posted the wrong article.  I meant to post the one from his teammates who say the claims are complete bullshyte 

Criticism of BYU quarterback Zach Wilson misfires, gets blowback

When an unnamed source leveled spurious claims about Zach Wilson, the reaction was nuclear

It’s the unnamed sources hiding behind anonymity, monikers on social media that have become the bane of our modern day. BYU junior quarterback Zach Wilson was the target of such this past week, and it may have backfired sensationally.

Earlier last week, the website Walter Football quoted a director of college scouting for an NFC team who said he had learned from an unnamed source that Wilson had “character issues.”

“(Wilson) has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he’s a know-it-all,” said a teaser quote for Walter’s Football on Twitter.

To his teammates and coaches, this was the biggest stretch of pasture biscuits they’d ever heard.

That, more than anything else in this story, was the most impressive aspect of the attack.

His mates had his back.

The motivations behind the attack are unclear. Maybe someone wanted to knock him down a bit so he’d be available for them to draft him. Some analysts put Wilson as the No. 2 or 3 quarterback in the draft, a first-round pick.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/27/22200637/zach-wilson-walters-football-byu-college-nfl-draft-cougars-teamates-criticism

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I posted the wrong article.  I meant to post the one from his teammates who say the claims are complete bullshyte 

It’s the unnamed sources hiding behind anonymity, monikers on social media that have become the bane of our modern day. BYU junior quarterback Zach Wilson was the target of such this past week, and it may have backfired sensationally.

To his teammates and coaches, this was the biggest stretch of pasture biscuits they’d ever heard.

His mates had his back.

Is it Zach Wilson or is his name really Bo Callahan?

Image result for bo callahan

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

bogus talking about Justin Fields arm being just OK - Justin's arm is powerful and he has a better arm than anyone in this draft.  He's behind in reads/progressions to Lawrence/Wilson but his arm is equivalent of Lawrence and better than Wilson.

Yeah, Fields has a cannon.  He and Lawrence have elite NFL arms

8 hours ago, TTU Falcon said:

Don't worry, when the only comment that can be made about a QB is "he had a lot of talent around him."  As the draft nears, it gets harder and harder to discredit his accomplishments.

I don't think it will take as long as many expect to hear his name called on draft day.  He'll be a late riser in my opinion, I think there are less questions to his pro transition than Fields or Lance.  That's my opinion and I know it's not a popular one.

I like Mac as an option if we’re going QB. I think he’s more pro ready. And his ego isnt going to be an issue waiting his time to shine. 

30 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Did fields just turn black a few weeks ago or something?

31 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

His mates had his back.

Like I said it may not be true. The kid will be vetted by the teams and Media. I don’t trust unnamed sources but if you are gonna be top pick. Everything will be looked at closely before saying not true.

44 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yep...I’m pretty sure Fields has an arm capable of throwing 70+ yards.  Throws such a pretty deep ball

The questions aren't about distance, but velocity. I don't see the same zip on his bullets that I do from Wilson. 

11 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yep...I’m pretty sure Fields has an arm capable of throwing 70+ yards.  Throws such a pretty deep ball

I have seen it many times - watched Justin probably 8 times in high school warming up before games - 70+ yards is easy for him.   He was a 1st round caliber MLB prospect at shortstop as well at Harrison High.

10 hours ago, Lornoth said:

The questions aren't about distance, but velocity. I don't see the same zip on his bullets that I do from Wilson. 

Fields' arm is stronger than Wilson - length, velocity whatever measurement you want to compare.

1 minute ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Lol I love Wilson but I’m sure Fields arm is easily stronger than Wilsons. Wilson however does have the quicker release and an incredibly short load time. 

Exactly, it's more than just having a strong arm or not, despite what TaTF thinks. A lot goes into a pass, and faster release, ball trajectory, wrist snap, it all goes into how a ball moves in the air. Wilson has a wider range of how he can pass the ball than Fields does right now. One of the ways that helps him is his bullet passes are much faster than Fields'. That's what I see anyway.