Some comments on this QB class from folks around the NFL

Excluded Lawrence from this because he clearly won't be an option if the Falcons elect to draft a QB. 

Justin Fields:

"I'm not sold on the scheme making him NFL-ready, but everything you hear [from coaches at Ohio State] is that he's really smart and well-prepared. I love his athleticism, but his arm is just OK. Scheme is going to matter a lot for him. I hope wherever he goes they build around him with run-after-catch receivers and a good run game." — NFL quarterbacks coach

"You are betting on his continued development for sure,"

"Fields' running ability gives you comfort as he learns the offense."

Zach Wilson:

"He fits where the league is headed—playmaker with a big arm who makes a lot of wow throws and can win with his legs. I have no idea how ready to play he is because the scheme is backyard football and he hasn't played anyone." — NFL college scouting director

“Johnny Manziel comp without the drugs. He is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch." - NFC East Scout 

Trey Lance:

"Playing in that one game [against Central Arkansas] was a mistake, but he has such nice traits that someone will fall in love with his game. Even if he doesn't become a great passer, he's so dangerous with his legs that he can start in this league." — AFC area scout

Mac Jones:

"You have to worry about the talent around him, especially last year, but he throws a beautiful deep ball and I love his toughness and moxie." — NFL quarterbacks coach

Kyle Trask:

"Very scheme-specific player. Can win from the pocket and has a good arm. Best asset is his vision and putting the ball in a spot his guys can make a play on it. Lack of mobility is going to be the biggest knock." — Former NFL general manager

Edited by dirtybirds233

44 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Don't disagree with any of it except I don't think Wilson is very Johnny Football like at all.

I'm still high on Wilson if we do go QB (I'm a trade-back guy who sees the logic in going after a QB high).  I have read some things that suggests he has maybe a bit more confidence than some people think is appropriate.  That would make the Manziel comp make more sense if true.

19 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Pretty spot on.  

but this Mac Jones thing is killing me.  Nobody said that about Joe Burrow last season.  And the season before when Tua got hurt and Jones was thrown into the fire he still held up.

the guy is getting no love because he’s not considered a dual threat QB.

Don't worry, when the only comment that can be made about a QB is "he had a lot of talent around him."  As the draft nears, it gets harder and harder to discredit his accomplishments.

I don't think it will take as long as many expect to hear his name called on draft day.  He'll be a late riser in my opinion, I think there are less questions to his pro transition than Fields or Lance.  That's my opinion and I know it's not a popular one.

21 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Pretty spot on.  

but this Mac Jones thing is killing me.  Nobody said that about Joe Burrow last season.  And the season before when Tua got hurt and Jones was thrown into the fire he still held up.

Kool-Aid sippers always gonna chase the flavor of the moment

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

When I watch Jones (admittedly not much in total) he reminds me of Drew Brees at Purdue.  Not saying Jones will remotely have that career if any in the NFL, but there are similarities.  

Trask reminds me of Rothlisberger or Jim Kelly.  Big guy, big arm, pocket howitzer.  

I’ve been saying for months now that Jones reminds me of a more athletic Eli Manning.  Less goofy so to speak.  I personally think that’s a good thing.  Eli could make all the throws, understood the game of football, and played big on big stages.  If he had an ounce of athleticism Eli’s career would be talked about differently. 

Jones, while not michael Vick, is mobile enough.  But what’s most impressive about Jones is his pocket awareness and anticipation.  He is an elite prospect in that realm, and that’s what gets him out of sticky situations the most. 

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’ve been saying for months now that Jones reminds me of a more athletic Eli Manning.  Less goofy so to speak.  I personally think that’s a good thing.  Eli could make all the throws, understood the game of football, and played big on big stages.  If he had an ounce of athleticism Eli’s career would be talked about differently. 

Jones, while not michael Vick, is mobile enough.  But what’s most impressive about Jones is his pocket awareness and anticipation.  He is an elite prospect in that realm, and that’s what gets him out of sticky situations the most. 

I like what I see in him.  It would not hurt my feelings to trade down, snag Jones and get that extra pick/s.  

4 minutes ago, BadMoonRising said:

My guess is Kyle Trask will have the most impactful NFL career imho. That said, I do look forward to seeing how well he handles the pressure of not playing behind a an above average talent offensive line.

Trask is a guy that ten years ago would have been getting more notoriety.  He has the tools. 

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Don't disagree with any of it except I don't think Wilson is very Johnny Football like at all.

That was a weird comp for me too.  He is neither as good as Manziel nor as risky a pick.

That's an odd place to be, but Manziel was a straight up head case coming out.  He made Jeff George look like a consummate team player.

18 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

If Eli's brother wasn't Peyton Manning he'd be talked about differently too.  He won 2 Super Bowls when Peyton only had 1 until the waning days of his career, and unlike Peyton, he was a huge part of winning both of them (Peyton was a huge part of the one with Indy, not so much the one with Denver).

I can't stand Eli Manning.  He is whiny, entitled, and he looks like he's had a lobotomy.  But that dude has a killer instinct that is rare among NFL QBs.  He was a great QB to be sure.

35 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'm still high on Wilson if we do go QB (I'm a trade-back guy who sees the logic in going after a QB high).  I have read some things that suggests he has maybe a bit more confidence than some people think is appropriate.  That would make the Manziel comp make more sense if true.

That's a fair point, but I don't think it's the same sort of confidence.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That was a weird comp for me too.  He is neither as good as Manziel nor as risky a pick.

That's an odd place to be, but Manziel was a straight up head case coming out.  He made Jeff George look like a consummate team player.

I dunno personally I never thought Manziel was very good. Or, rather, I never thought his skillset would translate to the pros. Wilson may not end up being good but his skillset's an NFL one for sure.

Just now, Lornoth said:

That's a fair point, but I don't think it's the same sort of confidence.

I dunno personally I never thought Manziel was very good. Or, rather, I never thought his skillset would translate to the pros. 

I meant that Manziel was a much better college QB.  He was magic on that stage.

But I agree.  I always saw him as a smaller faster Tim Tebow.  All the tools to do it at one level, very few to be able to do it at the next level.

22 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Trask is a guy that ten years ago would have been getting more notoriety.  He has the tools. 

Fans and media are after the next Mahomes, but lots of people athletically play at his level in college. I have only seen two play at that level versus NFL talent. I imagine the people getting paid for a living to win are looking at him a lot more closely.

2 minutes ago, BadMoonRising said:

Fans and media are after the next Mahomes, but lots of people athletically play at his level in college. I have only seen two play at that level versus NFL talent. I imagine the people getting paid for a living to win are looking at him a lot more closely.

Totally agree.  I honestly think at worst Trask  is a solid QB2.  

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

Pretty spot on.  

I suppose the reason no one said that about Joe Burrow was because LSU's offense had been Stone Age for over a decade. Mac Jones is coming from an offense where the previous two starters put up great numbers, too. 

2 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Excluded Lawrence from this because he clearly won't be an option if the Falcons elect to draft a QB. 

Justin Fields:

"I'm not sold on the scheme making him NFL-ready, but everything you hear [from coaches at Ohio State] is that he's really smart and well-prepared. I love his athleticism, but his arm is just OK. Scheme is going to matter a lot for him. I hope wherever he goes they build around him with run-after-catch receivers and a good run game." — NFL quarterbacks coach

"You are betting on his continued development for sure,"

"Fields' running ability gives you comfort as he learns the offense."

Zach Wilson:

"He fits where the league is headed—playmaker with a big arm who makes a lot of wow throws and can win with his legs. I have no idea how ready to play he is because the scheme is backyard football and he hasn't played anyone." — NFL college scouting director

“Johnny Manziel comp without the drugs. He is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch." - NFC East Scout 

Trey Lance:

"Playing in that one game [against Central Arkansas] was a mistake, but he has such nice traits that someone will fall in love with his game. Even if he doesn't become a great passer, he's so dangerous with his legs that he can start in this league." — AFC area scout

Mac Jones:

"You have to worry about the talent around him, especially last year, but he throws a beautiful deep ball and I love his toughness and moxie." — NFL quarterbacks coach

Kyle Trask:

"Very scheme-specific player. Can win from the pocket and has a good arm. Best asset is his vision and putting the ball in a spot his guys can make a play on it. Lack of mobility is going to be the biggest knock." — Former NFL general manager

Zach Wilson is a mental case