Joe Theismann Says He Would Draft Zach Wilson Over Trevor Lawrence!

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Truth. David Carr never recovered after 2 years of shell shock in Houston. 

Tim Couch/Heath Shuler/Andre Ware  were a few other ‘Cant miss’ QBs who never recovered from the accelerated speed of nfl pass rush > college.

Weren't they all part of this (in)famous new age ‘dual threat’ QBs too? 

David Carr and Tim Couch were two guys that had they landed in better situations they could have been good NFL QBs. That's the one thing that many folks here don't seem to understand. Potentially good QBs are ruined all the time by landing in bad situations and getting their brains beat in and then they never recover from the shock. In Couch's case he suffered a shoulder injury that basically ended his career. The guys that end up making it usually end up in good situations.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think folks are just saying he doesn't have a leg to stand on.       I'll be here all week.

Past injury history would be a concern for me. It's a no for me.

Eh......Theismann.   He also really liked Dwayne Haskins and gave him permission to wear his #7 for the unnamed team.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

David Carr and Tim Couch were two guys that had they landed in better situations they could have been good NFL QBs. That's the one thing that many folks here don't seem to understand. Potentially good QBs are ruined all the time by landing in bad situations and getting their brains beat in and then they never recover from the shock. In Couch's case he suffered a shoulder injury that basically ended his career. The guys that end up making it usually end up in good situations.

Exactly, see also last year’s #1 Joe Burrow of bengals getting his knee blown up. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Exactly, see also last year’s #1 Joe Burrow of bengals getting his knee blown up. 

So the logical move for a team with a great vet who’s still playing well is to bolster the OL, build the defense, accumulate talent and picks and then when time is right go up and get a QB.

‘Matt Ryan came into a favorable situation.

I wouldn't take Zach Wilson over Trevor Wilson but the two games I watched Zach Wilson were awesome. He was amazing, very live arm, very athletic. I wouldn't take Justin Fields until the mid rounds somewhere, you really need to read defenses in the NFL. 

44 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Exactly. And who's to say he's ever gonna fully recover from that? We don't know. He could, or he could not. That one could easily go either way. This place thinks "ohhhhhhh......shiny new QB fixes everything."

11 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

I wouldn't take Zach Wilson over Trevor Wilson but the two games I watched Zach Wilson were awesome. He was amazing, very live arm, very athletic. I wouldn't take Justin Fields until the mid rounds somewhere, you really need to read defenses in the NFL. 

Here's a game you should watch.

8 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Absolutely true!! I look at these guys and most of them rarely face pressure in college and in the NFL its a different animal. It's why evaluating college QBs is such a crap shoot. The vast majority rarely deal with pressure of bad situations in general. It's why guys like Matt Ryan and Tom Brady that don't play with the best talent in college usually have better NFL careers. They had to learn how to play in situations that weren't perfect so they're more prepared for it when they get to the NFL. When has Trevor Lawrence ever had to face a bad situation at Clemson? The answer is that he hasn't. He's got elite talent surrounding him and things just go perfectly so he's not forced to adapt. He's not gonna have that in Jacksonville. We'll see how he handles it.

Well said !

I think it’s easy for anybody to say they’d take x over y. But when the whole world is clamoring that y>x, you have to be 1000% sure x>y or your job resume takes a hit, even if x is successful.

I don’t think anybody can stand up and say Wilson is by far and away the better prospect

16 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Well said.  The culture and makeup of a team can really determine if a QB will thrive or fail.  I honestly thought David Carr was a great QB that was placed in the wrong situation.  Couch would have been far better elsewhere.

Having your confidence shattered is almost as hard to come back from as having your body mangled.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:13 AM, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

I think I personally like the QBs in this order-

1. Trevor

2. Justin

3. Zach

4. Trey

5. Mac

I would have Trey at 2. He is the youngest QB of the group meaning he can actually get a year or so experience and be as young as these others QB are coming into the draft. Age is an underrated feature in the draft.

People love Matt Ryan here so much but imagine this:

Getting Ryan at around age 20 and giving him 3 years of NFL experience vs drafting Ryan at age 23.

Anyway Trevor and Justin are just 21 being true juniors, so they are really young. But I love Justn's physical traits that cannot be taught, even more so than the rest of them. if Trey is a hard worker with good intelligence, than he is extremely valuable. That more than makes up for experience.