Arthur Blank on CBS radio at 4

VTCrunkler

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Because I believe Its a couple years too early to be obsessed about QB like you guys are.

QB (as well as WR) should be near bottom of list of positions that need addressing for Falcons.

You don’t sit #4 draft pick qb for two years. These guys want new deals by third year any ways. The whole point of drafting QB cheap is to use that cap space somewhere else. The Falcons don’t have to draft a QB if they don’t like in next two years. AS had shown he can work with guys like Ryan Tannahill as a stopgap.

27 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You don’t sit #4 draft pick qb for two years. These guys want new deals by third year any ways. The whole point of drafting QB cheap is to use that cap space somewhere else. The Falcons don’t have to draft a QB if they don’t like in next two years. AS had shown he can work with guys like Ryan Tannahill as a stopgap.

Truth.

I am in the camp GB was dumb drafting a QB at bottom of 1st to sit, and that decision played a role in them not returning to SB. To do the same thing with the 4th pick in draft is even dumber.

Im pretty sure Aaron Rodgers agrees with me on this. 🙃

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Truth.

I am in the camp GB was dumb drafting a QB at bottom of 1st to sit, and that decision played a role in them not returning to SB. To do the same thing with the 4th pick in draft is even dumber.

On a team with no depth, no starters at multiple positions and no cap space some of these smooth brains want to take 8 million dollars and plop him on the bench for multiple years? It makes zero sense.

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Truth.

I am in the camp GB was dumb drafting a QB at bottom of 1st to sit, and that decision played a role in them not returning to SB. To do the same thing with the 4th pick in draft is even dumber.

Yep, GB drafting QB and RB in first two rounds was super dumb. 
No one knows how the draft will play out. I would be ok if the Falcons are trading down to 8-14 to grab extra picks. It opens up possibility to trade back in to late first round if one of the top 3-4 QB are still on the board. Or they could just draft a QB in mid to low rounds. 

13 hours ago, Thelonious Mingus said:

What happened to Arthur Smith and the Falcons posturing for trade value after his statements on the Rich Eisen show? Now when Blank  says "Matt is our guy" it is the gospel truth? Seems like many people will believe what they want to fit their agendas.

Mods please deliver to Arthur Blank. :lol:

Honestly I wish Blank would hire who he wants to hire to run the organization and then SHUT UP !!!! He talks about wanting a consistent franchise like the Steelers or Patriots. The only time you ever hear jack from those owners is when they are accepting the Lombardi. I want that franchise model as well. 

His interviews don't help any one, his being out front saying the stupid things he says that he thinks are well thought out and or well intentioned. They AREN'T helpful. All this really does is undermine those that were hired to fix the mess he created with the last regime.

Mr. Blank I say this sincerely and with all humbleness. You don't know what you think you know about football. Sit down shut up and let Fontenot and Smith fix what you've spent so much time breaking.

I think people are dealing in absolutes too much. "A first round pick should be a season 1 starter." "A top 5 pick should not be a back up."  I think this limits your options on what's best for the team. Realistically, the Falcons are in a "win now/rebuild" situation. They literally have to rebuild while winning. This is a concept that cannot be accomplished using absolute thinking, you need to be flexible. You may have to draft a first rounder and sit them.  You may draft a late rounder or sign and UDFA and start them.  Just look at the Beasley situation. If he had not been a 1st round pick, there is no way he would have been a Falcon for 5 years. We all know that 5th year should never have been picked up.  Too many times teams hold on to players because of their draft position or coaches ego. TF says BPA. We know who our BPA is, but we don't know for sure who TF's BPA is. If that BPA is a quarterback, that QB is not better than MR right now, so he is not starting. Seriously, QB is the only Falcon position that is not threatened by the BPA draft strategy. The Falcons need help in the secondary, DL, OL.  Realistically, we're not gonna draft starters for all of them. Wish we could have another 2016 draft? Remember AB said he absolutely needed starters out of that draft. Neal, Debo, Hooper, Campbell were the picks People were screaming "reach! picked a round too soon!" That draft gave us 4 starters.  While you would like to think we are looking for starters in every draft, TD/DQ could feel their jobs on the line and stepped outside the box in that draft.  This being TF's first draft, we don't know what kind of box he's in, or if he's in a box at all. Let's just hope he doesn't deal in absolutes.

33 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Mods please deliver to Arthur Blank. :lol:

Honestly I wish Blank would hire who he wants to hire to run the organization and then SHUT UP !!!! He talks about wanting a consistent franchise like the Steelers or Patriots. The only time you ever hear jack from those owners is when they are accepting the Lombardi. I want that franchise model as well. 

His interviews don't help any one, his being out front saying the stupid things he says that he thinks are well thought out and or well intentioned. They AREN'T helpful. All this really does is undermine those that were hired to fix the mess he created with the last regime.

Mr. Blank I say this sincerely and with all humbleness. You don't know what you think you know about football. Sit down shut up and let Fontenot and Smith fix what you've spent so much time breaking.

Oh kinda like when kraft bought a dang billboard for brady when he was leaving and then went on to say this.

Think about loving your wife & for whatever reason, there’s something - her father or mother - that makes life impossible for you & you have to move on but you don’t want to.

quite clearly a shot at bb who wanted to move on. 

you wouldn't know what owners of other teams say because you don't follow those teams and they don't make espn headlines. Y'all find the absolute dumbest **** to ***** about.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Oh kinda like when kraft bought a dang billboard for brady when he was leaving and then went on to say this.

Think about loving your wife & for whatever reason, there’s something - her father or mother - that makes life impossible for you & you have to move on but you don’t want to.

quite clearly a shot at bb who wanted to move on. 

you wouldn't know what owners of other teams say because you don't follow those teams and they don't make espn headlines. Y'all find the absolute dumbest **** to ***** about.

If Kraft did that it was also moronic. You can say what ever you want. I've always been a Blank supporter and was really happy when he got the Smith's out of the way. He's been a MUCH better owner in many ways. 

However, his comments add absolutely nothing of value and in some cases cause issues that would not be there if he could control what he says. He can say anything he wants behind closed doors at Flowery Branch, but in the last few years his word vomiting to the press has been detrimental to the team, and those trying to manage it.

13 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I think you’re right in the gyms thoughts: 50/50 on taking QB. Kinda like the ratio of opinions here. 

even in liars season I don’t see AB coming out supporting MR to be false. Your thoughts?

Arthur Blank is class - he's never going to trash Matt Ryan.   The salary cap dictates that Matt is part of the 2021 team regardless.    I believe Arthur's position hasn't changed much - maybe just the perception of what he has said because media and fans are always looking for the latest nugget.

Arthur said that the new GM and HC aren't tied to Matt & Julio and can do what they see best for the team going forward - I still believe that is true.   However, the salary cap dictates both those players having at least one more season in the ATL.

I don't see anything that Arthur, Arthur or Terry have said this offseason as tipping their hand at what they will do at #4.     They may or may not draft a QB at #4 and - if they do - he will serve an apprenticeship first season - after that, if QB taken, then Matt likely traded in the 2022 off-season - if no QB taken at #4, then Matt is probably safe for two more seasons.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Arthur Blank is class - he's never going to trash Matt Ryan.   The salary cap dictates that Matt is part of the 2021 team regardless.    I believe Arthur's position hasn't changed much - maybe just the perception of what he has said because media and fans are always looking for the latest nugget.

Arthur said that the new GM and HC aren't tied to Matt & Julio and can do what they see best for the team going forward - I still believe that is true.   However, the salary cap dictates both those players having at least one more season in the ATL.

I don't see anything that Arthur, Arthur or Terry have said this offseason as tipping their hand at what they will do at #4.     They may or may not draft a QB at #4 and - if they do - he will serve an apprenticeship first season - after that, if QB taken, then Matt likely traded in the 2022 off-season - if no QB taken at #4, then Matt is probably safe for two more seasons.

We indeed are searching for every nugget. I was listening in live and he had a way of talking without tipping his hand either way. It’s safe to say MR will be here another year simply due to his contract. And it’s also safe for him to say that it’s TF and AS decision on how to proceed. I think both can be true. A lot more will be known once the draft is over. When is the draft anyway?  Hah. We have months more of speculation heading twd the draft. 

44 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

We indeed are searching for every nugget. I was listening in live and he had a way of talking without tipping his hand either way. It’s safe to say MR will be here another year simply due to his contract. And it’s also safe for him to say that it’s TF and AS decision on how to proceed. I think both can be true. A lot more will be known once the draft is over. When is the draft anyway?  Hah. We have months more of speculation heading twd the draft. 

yeah, I wish draft season was compressed a little more.   To me the end of April is about 2 weeks too long.   Should be mid-April  - I realize the start of April is too soon because competing w/ start of MLB season, the Masters and too close to the Final Four - but it thins out around mid-April.  Wish they would move it up a few weeks

just looked it up:   Thursday, April 29th -  uggh.

53 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, I wish draft season was compressed a little more.   To me the end of April is about 2 weeks too long.   Should be mid-April  - I realize the start of April is too soon because competing w/ start of MLB season, the Masters and too close to the Final Four - but it thins out around mid-April.  Wish they would move it up a few weeks

just looked it up:   Thursday, April 29th -  uggh.

Are the masters still on for April. Love watching the lead up to and final holes. It’s a tradition like nothing else. 

this dead period after the SB and before the draft would be a perfect fit for the xfl..

19 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Ok so just finished listening. 

they introduced him as one of the true gentlemen in the game. 

-people needing to be connected  and the role social media has done to connect people  for a minute I thought he was going to give a shout out to the AFMB

-he’s impressed by all the notes he’s been getting about AS from former coaches he’s worked with

- there has been a succession plan with WR from roddy to JJ to Calvin  And that there will be some kind of succession plan or the hope is to have a succession plan for all positions

- he said right off the bat that if he got calls from other teams regarding a trade etc that he would refer them to our general manager because he feels that a owner doesn’t have any business talking about stuff like that

- He said that Matt Ryan will be our quarterback for next season and beyond

-He referenced the Green Bay situation and the Kansas City situation in which young quarterback sat behind the the current quarterbacks and learned from them  

He didn't say beyond....stop with the mis information 

Edited by blknoble357
Spelling

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Are the masters still on for April. Love watching the lead up to and final holes. It’s a tradition like nothing else. 

this dead period after the SB and before the draft would be a perfect fit for the xfl..

I went to the Masters twice before - sooooo nice!   food is great and they don't gouge you either - Beer is like $4,  Soft Drinks $2,  Sandwiches $4, etc, etc. - Pimento Cheese Sandwiches wrapped in wax paper :D 

beautiful place