Arthur Blank on CBS radio at 4

VTCrunkler

10 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I still struggle to see a scenario where if we take a QB at 4 they aren’t starting by 2022 season. You just don’t take a QB at 4 to sit for multiple years. Not when a team has so many needs

The struggle is real. 

I keep wondering what it’s going to take for us to have a top 15 defense...

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Anything’s ‘possible’, I guess. I’m in the camp of seeing falcons take a developmental guy such as Jamie Newman in 3rd - 4th round or later.  But a QB near top of Rd 1 of this draft for us with so many other areas of need is not only highly improbable, but foolish.

Vandy I normally agree with you but I disagree with it being foolish. Our new GM TF just left an organization where they was chasing a SB and constructed their roster (draft picks and FAs) around a potential HOF QB window w/o much success outside four division titles.

If they like a QB at 4 I strong heartily believe they will draft him and I wouldn’t be mad. 

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

The struggle is real. 

I keep wondering what it’s going to take for us to have a top 15 defense...

Man, all I been wanting for 30+ years is a bad *** defense. We are usually crap, and when the Falcons do finally put a good defensive season together, it’s usually a year of false hope, followed by many more years of abysmal defense. 

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

Man, all I been wanting for 30+ years is a bad *** defense. We are usually crap, and when the Falcons do finally put a good defensive season together, it’s usually a year of false hope, followed by many more years of abysmal defense. 

In a way our defensive ranking was erratic like our team record pre-Ryan era. A lot of people seem to forget how up and down we were and don’t remeber the non back to back playoff streak. 

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I am as well...I just admittedly didn’t think a QB was a possibility with the 4th overall pick. But based on what Matt has said, and what blank has said, it sounds like it’s actually on the table for discussion

Agreed thats what I'm hearing from both as well

42 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Vandy I normally agree with you but I disagree with it being foolish. Our new GM TF just left an organization where they was chasing a SB and constructed their roster (draft picks and FAs) around a potential HOF QB window w/o much success outside four division titles.

If they like a QB at 4 I strong heartily believe they will draft him and I wouldn’t be mad. 

Agree or disagree, I always respect your opinions Cole.

56 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Yeah I bet all those will be upset... But those who said we should still draft the quarterback at number four and have him sit behind Ryan, I think they may like this interview... What you think ??

As you already know, I think it would be a waste of a draft pick. Any player you draft in top 5 of nfl draft should start day 1.

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

I think that is one of the reason TF got the job. AB wants to win now, TF will have to time the transition in to future with out sacrificing winning. Aints did a great job of doing just that. AB will take next 2-3 years of shot at playoffs and possible SB. They do need to do due diligence on QB. Falcons have to prepare for scenario where they may trade up from second to first to pick a QB they like or falls. They could pick a QB in second. Just don’t see how AS will go in to contract negotiations in couple of years with out success. 

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I think that is one of the reason TF got the job. AB wants to win now, TF will have to time the transition in to future with out sacrificing winning. Aints did a great job of doing just that. AB will take next 2-3 years of shot at playoffs and possible SB. They do need to do due diligence on QB. Falcons have to prepare for scenario where they may trade up from second to first to pick a QB they like or falls. They could pick a QB in second. Just don’t see how AS will go in to contract negotiations in couple of years with out success. 

No doubt that they would be looking to win right away but they could still do by picking a QB (if he’s the guy they like) at 4. If they happen to have success in the season like the Saints and make the playoffs over the next 2 years or so but fail to win a SB they have someone in wings to take over at QB without having to mortgage picks to have to move up.

Draft is a crap shoot they could take a non-Qb and that player could turn out to be a Jamaal Anderson or a Vic Beasley and not give us nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Cole World said:

No doubt that they would be looking to win right away but they could still do by picking a QB (if he’s the guy they like) at 4. If they happen to have success in the season like the Saints and make the playoffs over the next 2 years or so but fail to win a SB they have someone in wings to take over at QB without having to mortgage picks to have to move up.

Draft is a crap shoot they could take a non-Qb and that player could turn out to be a Jamaal Anderson or a Vic Beasley and not give us nothing. 

I will take a chance to win the SB and tank a season to reload than wasting #4 on back up for two years. All the focus should be to win., you can’t do half assed stuff. Falcons aren’t in 911 situation, they could always get a veteran QB if the draft isn’t good for a year.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I will take a chance to win the SB and tank a season to reload than wasting #4 on back up for two years. All the focus should be to win., you can’t do half assed stuff. Falcons aren’t in 911 situation, they could always get a veteran QB if the draft isn’t good for a year.

We will see what happens. I’m good either way but how will you feel if they did draft a qb?

6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I am as well...I just admittedly didn’t think a QB was a possibility with the 4th overall pick. But based on what Matt has said, and what blank has said, it sounds like it’s actually on the table for discussion

And it should be on the table.  At 4th it’s the right pick IMO.  In terms of what is best in the short term for the Falcons: trade down from 4th and hope like crazy the new guys have a Saints 2017 type draft.  By moving off of 4th we could conceivably end up with 7-8 top 100 picks in the draft.  It’s a perfect draft for that.

But if they pick 4th, QB is the wisest course of action.  And with Blank reportedly studying up on how other NFL franchises have transitioned to a new QB, it seems very possible we are going that route 

9 hours ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Why ? What's wrong with drafting the future starting quarterback? Are you in the camp of believing you can get a future starting quarterback in late rounds

Because I believe Its a couple years too early to be obsessed about QB like you guys are.

QB (as well as WR) should be near bottom of list of positions that need addressing for Falcons.

8 hours ago, Cole World said:

We will see what happens. I’m good either way but how will you feel if they did draft a qb?

I will trust TF and AS to do the right thing. It’s their jobs on the line. I just hope the new guy drafted is the most successful player. At the end of the day, I would hate to see AS repeating same top heavy roster with fancy backups and no defense/run game.  

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I will trust TF and AS to do the right thing. It’s their jobs on the line. I just hope the new guy drafted is the most successful player. At the end of the day, I would hate to see AS repeating same top heavy roster with fancy backups and no defense/run game.  

Oh ok