Jump to content

Something has to give with the salary cap.


Recommended Posts

According to the current numbers on OTC (176 mil cap) there is 484 million dollars worth of cap space remaining right now, for the entire NFL...that is an average of 15 mil per team.

 

There are currently 14 teams OVER the cap for 2021 before a single signing or draft pick. The total amount of overages is 334 million....

 

This leaves a net cap space of 150 million dollars.....for the entire NFL. At a BARE MINIMUM, NFL teams need to sign 50 players to get every roster at the top 51 player thresh hold where the salary cap cuts off.

That means there's enough available cap space to give each player in free agency 1 million dollars. The vet minimum next year is 850k.

 

These numbers are not going to add up. Either something has to give or ain't nobody getting paid this year and the NFLPA loses it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just throw the cap away for next year. Free for all😂

I think it's within a week after the super bowl....   I also found this. It's a great way of explaining how the cap works in a very simple image.    

Panthers owner has almost double the net worth of jerry. They could give Dak 1 billion this year lmao

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The question I have is when will they know?  Because free agency is coming up and the draft is right behind it.

I think it's within a week after the super bowl....

 

I also found this. It's a great way of explaining how the cap works in a very simple image.

How_cap_works.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The question I have is when will they know?  Because free agency is coming up and the draft is right behind it.

I heard a couple of days ago that the owners are currently negotiating with each other and after that the NFL will negotiate with the NFLPA. They said negotiations could last up until the day before the start of the new league year - 17 March. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see the picture, but I appreciate the response on the timing.  I can't wait to find out what it will be, because it opens up so much for us if we can get a little room under the cap before FA and the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The NFL Players’ Association is projecting the league’s 2021 salary cap to drop to $180 million, according to league sources, though that number is not official yet. There will be more NFL discussions on the cap early this week. The league’s cap was $198.2 million in 2020.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-deshaun-watson-dolphins-jets-20210130-77mhd2ro55h7ngpcxwztw35w2y-story.html

Quote

The 2020 cap climbed to $198.2 million, and all teams have negotiated long-term deals under the impression that the cap will continue to increase. The pandemic, which saw 2020 regular-season attendance drop from more than 17 million to roughly one million, will likely push the final number closer to $175 million than to $198.2 million.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I heard a couple of days ago that the owners are currently negotiating with each other and after that the NFL will negotiate with the NFLPA. They said negotiations could last up until the day before the start of the new league year - 17 March. 

 

Yeah, I hear the NFL owners and NFLPA will discuss how to alleviate potential cap problems due to the pandemic.

 

I think NFL owners may have to bite the bullet and take less revenue for themselves next season to help even things out.

 

Not sure if NFL players are willing to do it. They really don't have to unless there's something in NFL contracts that protect the league from situations like this past year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, I hear the NFL owners and NFLPA will discuss how to alleviate potential cap problems due to the pandemic.

 

I think NFL owners may have to bite the bullet and take less revenue for themselves next season to help even things out.

 

Not sure if NFL players are willing to do it. They really don't have to unless there's something in NFL contracts that protect the league from situations like this past year.

Feel free to help me comb the CBA for answers...lmao

 

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Cap always had lower limit, in 2020 that number was 165M. We know the actual cap was much higher. In 2021, the lower limit increased to 175 M. That doesn't mean it will be 175, just like it wasn't 165 M in 2020. Probably around 185-200. 

Even still, it's going to be a numerical nightmare for the league. Since 2013 the cap has steadily gone up roughly 11 mil a year. Teams were planning on the 2021 cap being right around 210 mil at the least.

That is still a 25 million dollar swing @ a 185 mil cap that teams will have to navigate around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Even still, it's going to be a numerical nightmare for the league. Since 2013 the cap has steadily gone up roughly 11 mil a year. Teams were planning on the 2021 cap being right around 210 mil at the least.

That is still a 25 million dollar swing @ a 185 mil cap that teams will have to navigate around.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cap. NFL owners can negotiate and vote to spread out these losses over 5-6 years. I will leave that to creative accountants. NFL will try to keep the league competitive, NFLPA wants players paid. There are many ways this can be worked out and Cap is not a number etched in stone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the cap. NFL owners can negotiate and vote to spread out these losses over 5-6 years. I will leave that to creative accountants. NFL will try to keep the league competitive, NFLPA wants players paid. There are many ways this can be worked out and Cap is not a number etched in stone. 

This thread is just talking about the league in general. I'm not worried about it. That chart I posted shows exactly why I'm not worried about it. The cap isn't one number for one year. It's a bunch of numbers for a bunch of years that can be shuffled around endlessly. It's more so just pointing out that front offices are going to be very, very busy this off season. We will see more restructures this offseason than we've ever seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This thread is just talking about the league in general. I'm not worried about it. That chart I posted shows exactly why I'm not worried about it. The cap isn't one number for one year. It's a bunch of numbers for a bunch of years that can be shuffled around endlessly.

I don't see chart in your OP. just stuff about how teams are struggling with less cap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Didn't he learn the lesson from 2011 fiasco. They lost ton of cap space trying to pay in non cap year. 

 

Yeah, but you know Jerry is going to try his best to find some grey areas this time.

 

He honestly thought he could cheat future earning of salary within that one season lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...