Matt Ryan on 680 The Fan...

Great example of how bad Atlanta sports media is.

Rather than wasting time asking Ryan a question that

a) is about something out of his control, and

b) you know he's not going to give you heat with his answer...

The real question that they should have asked him was

"How open are you to restructuring your contract via extension as a way of helping the new regime reduce the salary cap problems the team is facing?" It IS something Ryan has control over and is MUCH more relevant to the franchise's ability to win with Ryan as the QB. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's one of the best. We will all miss him when he is gone. Meanwhile Capt. Whiny down in Houston is planning on sitting out the season unless he is traded. https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/ne

I am. You can call him Daddy if you want.

To be fair, Eli Manning retired, so someone had to take the crown.

53 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

More than friction, it was learning and comfort. It was about doing things which Ryan never did nor was comfortable. Ryan was not comfortable under center to turn his back to the defense. The other aspect is in WCO if a guy looks open, it’s too late. QB should anticipate the WR cutting and throw to a spot. Now, it also means WR need to be in sync and QB should be comfortable throwing to that spot. Lot of his mental and mastery, changing habits. 
Good news is AS runs slight variation of what we had in 2016. OC, play caller and players need to gel but probably won’t be a steep learning curve.  

Interesting. This definitely gave me a better idea of what was going on during that season and I learned a little bit on how the WCO works. Thanks for the education. I always appreciate it when I get an education on the game

His response shows why we should at least consider a potential top 4 pick franchise QB in this draft. After the wildness of 2020, letting this kid sit a year behind Matt Ryan would be invaluable for the new QB’s development. 

I’d trust Matt to do everything anyone could do in his situation to get the new guy ready for the league. That being said, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the team goes in another direction and we don’t go QB at 4. 

22 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Great example of how bad Atlanta sports media is.

Rather than wasting time asking Ryan a question that

a) is about something out of his control, and

b) you know he's not going to give you heat with his answer...

The real question that they should have asked him was

"How open are you to restructuring your contract via extension as a way of helping the new regime reduce the salary cap problems the team is facing?" It IS something Ryan has control over and is MUCH more relevant to the franchise's ability to win with Ryan as the QB. 

You really think the media has a clue how the salary cap works? Dled can barely speak or write.

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I could live with Fields or Lawrence (although Lawrence will never happen). I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could live with it. I just don't like Wilson at all and Lance is super risky to me because there's just not enough there.

The adjustment for Lance will be steep. He’s the last one I’d even consider throwing out there day 1. His ceiling is just so crazy high and thats the only reason he’s being considered in the first.

Mac definitely has a knack for tossing dimes. He’s so accurate to the point that you can’t use his team as a detractor as much as you should. The most similar prospect to Manning imo though not valued nearly as much.

Matt has brought consistent high level QB play to Atlanta. I just want him to pass the fattest torch to the most talented QB the falcons can acquire. Being able to witness Matt Ryan adjust to a new playbook and new regime is just so valuable. His process is 13 years strong. Build off that. 

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I agree, but I'm confused at why Andre Johnson is supporting Watson so much in this situation.

Johnson is known to be a really stand up guy. Which causes me to think there may be more to it that's not being reported on this.

I’m kinda surprised you’re surprised by that, Don. 

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah

I think Winston has elite talent, he just doesn't have it between the ears. He is an awful decision maker.

Payton will help quite a bit, but I think it'll rear it's ugly head and bite the Saints whenever it really matters the most.

Winston probably wins the Divisional game for the Saints. He was a big part of why they even had a lead for so long to begin with. If Winston can limit his INTs to just one per game (lol) the saints will be more dangerous than most people realize, assuming they actually resign him. 

3 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I agree that Lance is super risky. He's only 20, so he has plenty of time to sit behind a QB for a good 2 or 3 years. I also heard that he played in a more pro style offense at North Dakota State. If True, then he has at least some time under center.

He's extremely risky, but he could be an absolute killer if his development is a success with all the physical talent he has.

Not saying Falcons should draft him, or not even at 4. I don't really want the Falcons to draft a QB early, but if they do, I can live with it.

I honestly prefer Lance over a Wilson in a trade-down scenario. Weirdly enough, I much prefer the boom-or-bust aspect of Lance as a prospect. The 3 biggest boom-or-bust prospects in recent history (Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert) have all looked phenomenal to varying degrees. I’d rather take a chance on that than a potentially middling QB. 

3 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I honestly prefer Lance over a Wilson in a trade-down scenario. Weirdly enough, I much prefer the boom-or-bust aspect of Lance as a prospect. The 3 biggest boom-or-bust prospects in recent history (Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert) have all looked phenomenal to varying degrees. I’d rather take a chance on that than a potentially middling QB. 

I agree with this.  Dude is sitting for a year or two.  Lance is more raw, but his upside appears very high.  Why not?  I'd still like for us to get a Vet FA QB however.  

14 hours ago, TheHeartless said:

The main thing leading to this is the fractured relationship between McNair and Watson which hadn't occurred at the time of signing the extension. Not exactly like a team being devoid of talent is what's making him leave when it's been reported the Jets are a destination on his list. Now it's likely he'll get his the cake and eat it too at this point even if it does take some time for a trade to happen. 

Jet's and Dolphin's are only destinations because he knows they have the ammo to make it happen.  We saw what Stafford got, imagine what Watson would get.  They reported they are asking two firsts, two seconds and two defensive starters.  Funny thing is, he has no talent around him and that is one of the reasons he is upset, but wherever he goes will have to give up a ton of assets that they won't be able to build around him much for the next two years either.

The Texans put themselves in this situation. They offered/promised Watson a say in the hiring process, and then reneged on said promise. It backfired and now they have a disgruntled player. Why did they even bother, if they weren't going to uphold their word?

I'm sure if the situation were reversed and Watson broke his word, people would still flame him. 

11 hours ago, Rings said:

Jet's and Dolphin's are only destinations because he knows they have the ammo to make it happen.  We saw what Stafford got, imagine what Watson would get.  They reported they are asking two firsts, two seconds and two defensive starters.  Funny thing is, he has no talent around him and that is one of the reasons he is upset, but wherever he goes will have to give up a ton of assets that they won't be able to build around him much for the next two years either.

The talent not so much being the reason but the ineptitude behind the lack of talent is more so the reason. If the talent was a major reason he'd want no parts of a Jets team that just gave away capital to get him, unless just the goal of being out of Houston is good enough for him to live with. How well run the Jets will be with Saleh is up in the air for now, but the Phins have been building things right and they're a team that can survive without those picks for the next two seasons, obviously would be a pretty perfect destination. 

1 hour ago, TheHeartless said:

The talent not so much being the reason but the ineptitude behind the lack of talent is more so the reason. If the talent was a major reason he'd want no parts of a Jets team that just gave away capital to get him, unless just the goal of being out of Houston is good enough for him to live with. How well run the Jets will be with Saleh is up in the air for now, but the Phins have been building things right and they're a team that can survive without those picks for the next two seasons, obviously would be a pretty perfect destination. 

Jets have been a very poorly run organization as well, one could argue almost as bad as the Texans.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, Jesus said:

He's one of the best. We will all miss him when he is gone.

Meanwhile Capt. Whiny down in Houston is planning on sitting out the season unless he is traded.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/deshaun-watson-willing-to-sit-out-2021-season

His name is Deshaun Watson and I would too. Let me guess, "shut up and play" right. How did I know that, typical response or statement.

People are people no matter their status.  Put someone in a ****show on somewhat shaded pretenses, destroy his team after his contract, and expect him to be happy is asking a bit much.  I'd be pissed after getting the semi Texan for life salary, sign that contract, then found out without a doubt I was in a clown show.  I'd feel betrayed and more than a little stupid for doing so.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

People are people no matter their status.  Put someone in a ****show on somewhat shaded pretenses, destroy his team after his contract, and expect him to be happy is asking a bit much.  I'd be pissed after getting the semi Texan for life salary, sign that contract, then found out without a doubt I was in a clown show.  I'd feel betrayed and more than a little stupid for doing so.

Except that didn’t happen. The team was destroyed and coach was counting weeks when he signed the contract. Watson made a business decision to guarantee his money for injury. Now that he got his money, he is trying to bail out. Texans and Watson both have 50-50 blame.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Should have been able to see he was in a clown show before he signed that contract.

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Should have been able to see he was in a clown show before he signed that contract.

Watsons agent is not stupid, he probably told him. Sign it. Get the money and demand a trade after the season.  To be safe, Watson insisted on No trade clause so he can reject the trade to a team he doesn’t like. This was well planned than it appears on surface.

18 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Watsons agent is not stupid, he probably told him. Sign it. Get the money and demand a trade after the season.  To be safe, Watson insisted on No trade clause so he can reject the trade to a team he doesn’t like. This was well planned than it appears on surface.

You might be right about the planning. I do expect Watson to be traded or he will hold out. He's not worried about the loss of income in the near future, and Houston's FO will recognize his value will plummet if he holds out a year.

And in order for Houston to get a franchise QB, they need a top 2 or 3 pick.

Watson is so adament about being traded, he probably would waive his no trade clause, and Saleh is one if the coaching candidates Watson asked to be interviewed. I could easily see him accepting the Jets, and they are one of the only teams who has the trade capital to pull off the asking price and be out from under that loss of capital by 2023. I can see a definitive Houston-Jets trade in the near future. 

Miami is a possibility too, but if Houston is targeting Wilson, they probably want the 2nd pick to secure him. I don't think Fields translates as well to Houston.

55 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

You might be right about the planning. I do expect Watson to be traded or he will hold out. He's not worried about the loss of income in the near future, and Houston's FO will recognize his value will plummet if he holds out a year.

Watson is so adament about being traded, he probably would waive his no trade clause, and Saleh is one if the coaching candidates Watson asked to be interviewed. I could easily see him accepting the Jets, and they are one of the only teams who has the trade capital to pull off the asking price and be out from under that loss of capital by 2023. I can see a definitive Houston-Jets trade in the near future. 

Miami is a possibility too, but if Houston is targeting Wilson, they probably want the 2nd pick to secure him. I don't think Fields translates as well to Houston.

Houston is in no rush to trade and said they aren’t taking offers. In 2020. with Watson they went  4-12.  With out Watson they will be in tank mode, they will just get #1 in 2022. They aren’t gonna eat 27 M dead cap unless the offer is like 3 first rounds and multiple players. Problem is Watsons contract will be frozen and he can hold out for any number of years but Houston will still have his rights for 4 years after. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

It's like Deion said, there aren't too many options for him that will be much better than he's in. Let's be honest. He's not going to turn a terrible team around. He may get lucky and a team is willing to give up 2 defensive stars but then you put said team right back into a hole and it's claimed he doesn't want that to happen. If this was planned, it may very well backfire on him.

59 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Houston is in no rush to trade and said they aren’t taking offers. In 2020. with Watson they went  4-12.  With out Watson they will be in tank mode, they will just get #1 in 2022. They aren’t gonna eat 27 M dead cap unless the offer is like 3 first rounds and multiple players. Problem is Watsons contract will be frozen and he can hold out for any number of years but Houston will still have his rights for 4 years after. 

So you think Houston is going to let Watson just sit out the whole year and bite the bullet? I think that is highly unlikely. 

Right now they have the opportunity to recoup 2 or 3 first round picks and/or a number of 2nd round picks (any combination thereof). They have no 1st or 2nd round picks at the moment, and could at least save face with the fanbase as well as get their next franchise QB. If they trade with the Dolphins, they could recoup 2 first round picks this year and receive Tua in the process.

I don't see the FO sitting still at their own detriment, and they are already having internal discussions about trading him when only a week ago they said they wouldn't trade him. I think they will cave pretty quickly if either the Jets or Miami are willing.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

It's like Deion said, there aren't too many options for him that will be much better than he's in. Let's be honest. He's not going to turn a terrible team around. He may get lucky and a team is willing to give up 2 defensive stars but then you put said team right back into a hole and it's claimed he doesn't want that to happen. If this was planned, it may very well backfire on him.

I think the price is going to be less than they are asking (2 firsts and 2 seconds). I bet they would take Miami's 2 firsts, Tua, a defensive player on a rookie deal and a future 2nd or 3rd if Miami was willing.

They already have a history of making blockbuster deals with Miami.