Falcons hire Chandler Henley

Herr Doktor

Atlanta hires assistant OL coach Chandler Henley

The former Titans quality control coach re-joins Arthur Smith in Atlanta.

By Dave Choate  Feb 1, 2021, 6:00pm EST 

NFL: OCT 20 Rams at Falcons

When the Falcons first hired Arthur Smith, it seemed like a safe bet he’d take some assistants from the Tennessee Titans with him, given that he spent more than a decade with that team. To this point, he’s added a lot of former Titans coaches like offensive coordinator Dave Ragone, defensive coordinator Dean Pees, and quarterbacks coach Charles London, but not any who coached alongside him in 2020.

That changes today with the addition of Chandler Henley, a quality control coach who worked for Tennessee from 2018-2020. The Falcons just announced he’ll join Smith’s staff as an assistant offensive line coach, working with offensive line coach Dwayne Ledford.

Henley’s focus was on the offensive line, per the team’s story, though before that he coached tight ends with Yale (which means he coached exclusive rights free agent Jaeden Graham) and was once an assistant quarterbacks coach at Yale. He’ll be tasked with helping Smith and Ledford get the most out of a line with unsettled spots at center and left guard, which in turn should help to enable better things for the entire offense. Given that Smith got his start as a quality control coach for the Titans, it’s cool that he can give a coach in a similar position a promotion and a shot at working his way up the ranks.

Welcome to Atlanta, Chandler Henley!

37 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

We will not be game planning in X's and O's anymore with this Yale guy. It will now be binary code

:lol:

not sure about you but I have felt for a long time that other teams always had an advantage over the falcons when it comes to “smart football”.

From scheming, game planning, play calling & in game adjustments, we’ve fallen short against smarter staffs. New Orleans comes to mind.

My long suffering wish has been for our team to become much more cerebral & I’m encouraged that we’ve taken the steps in that direction now.

6 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

not sure about you but I have felt for a long time that other teams always had an advantage over the falcons when it comes to “smart football”.

From scheming, game planning, play calling & in game adjustments, we’ve fallen short against smarter staffs. New Orleans comes to mind.

My long suffering wish has been for our team to become much more cerebral & I’m encouraged that we’ve taken the steps in that direction now.

How is it possible to be outsmarted by New Orleans? The entire population has more fingers than teeth 😬

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I really like all the focus on the OL coaching. One-on-one attention at OL is the most efficient way to fix mistakes with technique.

Absolutely!! I love that for the first time in my lifetime the Falcons are making the OL an essential focal point to building a football team!! It's such a welcomed sight.

24 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Absolutely!! I love that for the first time in my lifetime the Falcons are making the OL an essential focal point to building a football team!! It's such a welcomed sight.

Agreed brother.  I don't care who you have at QB, they all need a line to get the job done.  I'm hoping we are right and what was needed was coaching.

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I’m with you on this. I get tired of seeing the Falcons offense going three and out to start a game, or needing 1 yard to convert a 3rd down only to fail. I’m also tired of seeing the D get lit up by mediocre, backup and rookie QBs, all while watching big leads evaporate by the middle of the 3rd quarter. 

30 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

There's a ton of Oline value in this draft to go around so obviously you can pick up some good value early or later in the draft I suppose.

4 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I’m with you on this. I get tired of seeing the Falcons offense going three and out to start a game, or needing 1 yard to convert a 3rd down only to fail. I’m also tired of seeing the D get lit up by mediocre, backup and rookie QBs, all while watching big leads evaporate by the middle of the 3rd quarter. 

Preach.  

2 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

It's affected so many areas of our football team.  Been a frustrating run of incompetence unfortunately.

Henley_Chandler

Chandler Henley

QUALITY CONTROL

Biography

Chandler Henley is in his third season coaching in the NFL. He joined the Titans in 2018 as quality control coach.

In 2019, the Titans offense finished third in the NFL in rushing (138.9 yards per game), first in red zone efficiency (75.6 percent) and fourth in yards per play (6.12). They had the NFL's leading rusher in Derrick Henry (1,540 yards) and the league's leading passer in Ryan Tannehill (117.5 passer rating)