• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean I won't rip my TV off the wall and chuck it in the backyard if we draft him. He's no where near my first choice but he's certainly worth a 1st round pick. Years ago when my son was small T

I think Devonta Smith is better at this point. Would rather have 3 bama WR's if we're going WR.

Chase is a beast. The year off made some forget how special he was in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I won't be unhappy regardless. I have faith they will make the right decision for the right moment, whether qb, trade down, or bpa. Come our pick, I will rally around them no matter what

I always do as well - but if we have a Mahomes/Watson type of player and we pass on him - it will be regretful for a long, long time.

I already saw my Dawgs make the wrong move w/ Fromm/Fields - would be reliving the nightmare to see Falcons do the same thing.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

And if we have a Trubisky kind of player we overdraft, it will be regretful for a long, long time.

FOMO shouldn't drive decision-making.

Trubisky was a one-year wonder.      He also wasn't highly regarded.

Justin Fields was the highest ranked commit in the UGA era and Justin and Trevor had almost identical grades coming out of HS.    UGA shelved Justin due to coming off a Natty and Fromm being there so Justin's Freshman year was a wash - then, in his first starting experience in college - finished 2nd runner-up in the Heisman and had two appearances in the CFP.

To compare Trubisky to Fields is to compare June Jones to Matt Ryan.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

if you don't re-up Ridley - then you are running on a hamster wheel - you aren't getting better.

But you just admitted WR core is a strength. You draft at strength so that portion of the team continues to be a strength when you move on from Ridley or Julio, or both. 

It’s the same logic for why you’d draft a QB to sit behind Ryan. Realistically, his best will probably not eclipse, but match, Ryan’s best.

Just now, jidady said:

He went #2 in the draft. He was highly regarded.

The rest is about high school recruiting, one of the silliest things in sports. The only exercise I find more ridiculous is the MLB Draft.

he was highly regarded by one team.

he also was a one year wonder  just like I said he was.

Passing
Year School Conf Class piece of poop G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career North Carolina         386 572 67.5 4762 8.3 9.0 41 10 1
*2014 North Carolina ACC SO QB 9 42 78 53.8 459 5.9 4.9 5 4 114.2
*2015 North Carolina ACC SO QB 9 40 47 85.1 555 11.8 14.4 6 0 226.4
*2016 North Carolina ACC JR QB 13 304 447 68.0 3748 8.4 9.1 30 6 157.9
2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

But you just admitted WR core is a strength. You draft at strength so that portion of the team continues to be a strength when you move on from Ridley or Julio, or both. 

It’s the same logic for why you’d draft a QB to sit behind Ryan. Realistically, his best will probably not eclipse, but match, Ryan’s best.

I am fine w/ drafting Chase if you want to trade Julio - but Gage is good enough to be a starter and was a #2 starter as Julio broke down at end of season.

However, Arthur Smith wasn't brought to the Falcons to run the same offense w/ the same strengths and weaknesses as the regime that just left.   Falcons are still not a physical offense.   Falcons certainly could go offense at #4 but, if they did, it would be a QB or Sewell.

It won't be Jamar Chase and it won't be DeVonta Smith.

I don't really understand why this is so difficult for some of you to get your head around.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am fine w/ drafting Chase if you want to trade Julio - but Gage is good enough to be a starter and was a #2 starter as Julio broke down at end of season.

However, Arthur Smith wasn't brought to the Falcons to run the same offense w/ the same strengths and weaknesses as the regime that just left.   Falcons are still not a physical offense.   Falcons certainly could go offense at #4 but, if they did, it would be a QB or Sewell.

I don't really understand why this is so difficult for some of you to get your head around.

Shanahan hasn’t had anywhere close to 2016 dominance without a true #1 WR that teams have to over scheme to take out. Just because we’ll be running play action balanced attack, doesn’t mean we still can’t benefit from having a consensus top 5 option we can move all over the field.

Im not sure how anybody can truly guarantee what the Falcons will do in the draft without seeing how they will tackle the cap situation and FA 🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by Wjcorner
5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

not only do the Falcons have Ridley and Calvin - but they have young ascending talent in Russell Gage, Oladide Zacheus and Christian Blake.   I wouldn't necessarily predict stardom for any of those guys but all are getting better and it's not ridiculous that one of them could develop into a star player - Gage is already a low-end #2 now - and he is still getting better.   Zacheus is the ultimate slot guy.

I do think now is a good time to trade Julio if he has a market and we can do it from cap standpoint (and we probably cannot) - but even if we did trade Julio - I'm not burning the top pick on a WR - we have a good and deep receiving corps.

We have Ridley and Calvin?

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

will bet any amount of money this won't happen - it's not happening - you are wasting your typing skills. #carpeltunnelfornothing

This sort of posting is totally obnoxious. You've probably "wasted" the most words on this board of any poster of all time, with 52K posts, countless mocks and only the rare bit of accuracy to show for it (not that anyone's draft predictions on here are particularly accurate). You're here pounding the table for another UGA guy like that's god's gift to posting, great. I don't see Fields being that great in the NFL, but he has the arm and the athleticism, and I wanted him to start over Fromm before he transferred; I wouldn't be upset if we took him.

That said, to say we're essentially set at WR (in your other posts) because Gage is "good enough to be a starter" is pretty hilarious. Some of you really aren't prepared to draft BPA. Drafting Chase would create a logjam at WR for one year; thereafter we would trade Julio and have control of both Ridley (extend him) and Chase (rookie contract) for ~5 years, and the preferred one of the two for ~10 years (or both if we love both and want to pay both, I guess). Best case scenario, that's Julio and Roddy in their prime-tier, and perhaps more realistically it could be Boldin and Fitzgerald ca. 2005, which is great, but not world-beating or "set" or whatever tier of overpowered that would preclude you from drafting Chase because our WR position is too stacked with talent. We had Julio/Roddy/Douglas (who is similar to Gage)/Gonzalez at one point and I still wish we had more talent; the Bucs have Evans/Godwin/Brown/Howard/Gronkowski/Fournette. ****, with the logjam, it'd probably make it easier to re-sign Gage after next season since he'll be fighting Chase for targets.

Drafting Chase would ensure (assuming he pans out) that we have at least one elite WR for two contract cycles (rookie contract, first extension), possibly two elite WRs if we re-sign both Ridley and Chase in ~2024-25, a decision which is mostly under our control. If we don't want to pay Calvin after his 2nd contract (presumably because Chase is too expensive), we can trade him with a year left on his contract to a team that wants an All-Pro WR, netting us a 1st or a 2nd from a team that wants to go all-in and/or re-sign Ridley with cap space we don't have. That's how you pick BPA, get value for guys before they walk for nothing, and plan for the long term future at a position. Even though WR isn't a weakness on our team, that's how you prevent WR from ever becoming a weakness on our team; it gives us the flexibility to trade Julio and/or not re-sign Ridley to a third contract (what if he holds out eventually?) without our WR room going from pretty good to catastrophic, which means we'll maintain the ability to work on other areas of the team in future drafts/free agency. 

As our new GM says, "It's never a bad thing to add to a strength." Ensuring we have great to elite WRs into the future is not ensuring we have the same strengths and weaknesses as the last regime; if one pick at #4 defines the strengths, weaknesses, culture, whatever, of the new regime, I can't wait for the FFS1970 "FONT'D" and "state line" posts, because it won't be pretty. 

I'll clarify, though; there are about four other scenarios I find generally acceptable, I'm not pounding on the table for Chase, I just don't like the aversion to it.

1. Any QB the FO believes in completely is fine. If Arthur Smith thinks Fields or Wilson is the guy, he's the guy. Don't trade up, though. 
2. Sewell + 3rd/4th rd RB + rest of the picks are defense
3. Parsons because I think the LB blitzes with Parsons, Deion, and Foye would be insane with our speed at LB. 
4. Surtain. If he's all he's cracked up to be, AJ and him will give our defense flexibility up front with their ability to cover.

I really wish there was a stud DE at the top of the draft this year, because Dimitroff couldn't hit on one to save his life and I'd like to pick the best one in the draft, but any of them at #4 would be a reach.

(Small aside because I didn't know where to put this in my post; perhaps I'm spoiled with Julio/Roddy and Julio/Calvin, but I never want to see Calvin/Gage as our #1 and #2 WR unless our TE is Kyle Pitts or something. Gage isn't good enough to be the #2 targeted guy in an offense unless your offense is subpar.)

EDIT - Changed "Thomas" to "Howard" in my list of Bucs players.

Edited by Sven
6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

not only do the Falcons have Ridley and Calvin - but they have young ascending talent in Russell Gage, Oladide Zacheus and Christian Blake.   I wouldn't necessarily predict stardom for any of those guys but all are getting better and it's not ridiculous that one of them could develop into a star player - Gage is already a low-end #2 now - and he is still getting better.   Zacheus is the ultimate slot guy.

I do think now is a good time to trade Julio if he has a market and we can do it from cap standpoint (and we probably cannot) - but even if we did trade Julio - I'm not burning the top pick on a WR - we have a good and deep receiving corps.

Far too often we tend to overvalue our players and not be realistic... If what you're saying is that we don't need a Chase-caliber WR because we already got OZ, Gage and Blake and you're comfortable with that, then I need some of what you smoke cuz my stash ain't strong enough to think that corps can take us to the promised land.