I have read on here numerous times about the need for a new qb (who will sit 2 years), maybe Sewell to play him or Matthews out of position at guard.

Let's think back to the 2011 draft. The Falcons traded their 1st round pick (27), 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, the following years 1st rounder and a 4th for Julio Jones. I loved the trade and love Julio Jones. 

Many say WR is not a need on this team, not outlandish to think that as we have Julio and Ridley. However, when we traded up for Julio, we also had Roddy (5 years) and Tony Gonzalez (2 years) thereafter. 

Guys and gals, Ja'Marr Chase will be the best player on the board when we pick. We will not be giving up any additional draft picks either. He is a great route runner (which Matt needs) and will make an immediate impact. Would teams still be able to double and triple team Julio? Will the receiving threat help the run game? Watch the film, you decide

Edited by Mister pudding
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean I won't rip my TV off the wall and chuck it in the backyard if we draft him. He's no where near my first choice but he's certainly worth a 1st round pick. Years ago when my son was small T

I think Devonta Smith is better at this point. Would rather have 3 bama WR's if we're going WR.

Chase is a beast. The year off made some forget how special he was in 2019.

I mean I won't rip my TV off the wall and chuck it in the backyard if we draft him. He's no where near my first choice but he's certainly worth a 1st round pick.

Years ago when my son was small Thomas the Tank Engine was in some train museum over in Alabama on draft day, and that boy loved him some Thomas so off we went. This was way before smart phones ( or at least before I had one ) so I missed the pick live. We got back in the car to come home and I hunted around until I found some sports radio station who was recapping the picks. They announced some WR for a school I barely recognized and I got bent out of shape. We'd just taken a WR the year before and I'd frankly never heard of the kid we picked this day. I was grumpy the entire ride home.

It was Roddy White.

I learned to give draft picks a chance, and to give them more than one season.

Matt was still on his rookie contract and Roddy and Tony weren't the top paid at their positions. Matt and Julio are getting paid and Ridley is well on his way to a big deal now. Poor allocation of financial resources.

Speaking purely about the on-field product, though, I think it would be amazing.

1 minute ago, The Real Tony G. said:

Matt was still on his rookie contract and Roddy and Tony weren't the top paid at their positions. Matt and Julio are getting paid and Ridley is well on his way to a big deal now. Poor allocation of financial resources.

Speaking purely about the on-field product, though, I think it would be amazing.

I belive Ridley's 5 years will be the same as when Julio's contract expires

3 minutes ago, The Real Tony G. said:

I guess you forgot Matt’s Rookie contract was before the rookie scale. It was pretty **** big for the time 50+ mil if I recall correctly 

not only do the Falcons have Ridley and Calvin - but they have young ascending talent in Russell Gage, Oladide Zacheus and Christian Blake.   I wouldn't necessarily predict stardom for any of those guys but all are getting better and it's not ridiculous that one of them could develop into a star player - Gage is already a low-end #2 now - and he is still getting better.   Zacheus is the ultimate slot guy.

I do think now is a good time to trade Julio if he has a market and we can do it from cap standpoint (and we probably cannot) - but even if we did trade Julio - I'm not burning the top pick on a WR - we have a good and deep receiving corps.

7 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I mean I won't rip my TV off the wall and chuck it in the backyard if we draft him. He's no where near my first choice but he's certainly worth a 1st round pick.

Years ago when my son was small Thomas the Tank Engine was in some train museum over in Alabama on draft day, and that boy loved him some Thomas so off we went. This was way before smart phones ( or at least before I had one ) so I missed the pick live. We got back in the car to come home and I hunted around until I found some sports radio station who was recapping the picks. They announced some WR for a school I barely recognized and I got bent out of shape. We'd just taken a WR the year before and I'd frankly never heard of the kid we picked this day. I was grumpy the entire ride home.

It was Roddy White.

I learned to give draft picks a chance, and to give them more than one season.

Thank God for Joe Horn.. I think he helped Roddy to mature

4 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I do like Smith.. I just prefer the bigger WR. Chase is great at grabbing the ball at its highest point

Yeah, the recency thing applies to Smith, while there's a fear that Chase may have rust. When I watched LSU, I was in awe of him, though. I mean, Justin Jefferson just wrecked the NFL as a rookie, but everyone in the program would say Chase is the better player.

Augmenting a strength is a viable draft strategy just as much as addressing a weakness. I would never mind seeing Chase in a Falcons jersey. I'd still rather us move around the board so that it's not a possibility, though.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

not only do the Falcons have Ridley and Calvin - but they have young ascending talent in Russell Gage, Oladide Zacheus and Christian Blake.   I wouldn't necessarily predict stardom for any of those guys but all are getting better and it's not ridiculous that one of them could develop into a star player - Gage is already a low-end #2 now - and he is still getting better.   Zacheus is the ultimate slot guy.

I do think now is a good time to trade Julio if he has a market and we can do it from cap standpoint (and we probably cannot) - but even if we did trade Julio - I'm not burning the top pick on a WR - we have a good and deep receiving corps.

Could have said the same thing about Harry Douglas, who was a 1,000 yd receiver for us one year

5 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Could have said the same thing about Harry Douglas, who was a 1,000 yd receiver for us one year

Harry Douglas had very limited upside - still a good draft pick.   Gage has really performed well.    Matt has enough weapons even w/o Julio - if we cannot win with Ridley, Gage, Hurst, Zacheus and Blake - then we have other problems as those weapons are better than league average.

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No argument here, but bpa would probably need to include chase with sewell. And the thought of julio, ridley, chase, gage, zaccheus, with a hurst/williams or sermon kicker just makes my heart flutter.

Just now, Williamb said:

No argument here, but bpa would probably need to include chase with sewell. And the thought of julio, ridley, chase, gage, zaccheus, with a hurst/williams or sermon kicker just makes my heart flutter.

there is only one ball that can be thrown at a time.  A winning and balanced team shouldn't throw more than 30 times per game.

just a terrible use of resources.

Just now, g-dawg said:

there is only one ball that can be thrown at a time.  A winning and balanced team shouldn't throw more than 30 times per game.

just a terrible use of resources.

Again, I'm in the trade back to increase picks crowd. But if you remember, 13 different recievers caught tds in '16. Just thinking of the havoc that could be created trying to guard all those guys (gage and zaccheus included).

16 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

Chase is a beast. The year off made some forget how special he was in 2019.

I love DeVonta Smith don’t get me wrong, but you are absolutely right. His body control is elite and he plays the game physical. I really don’t know who to compare his game to physically. I almost want to say a Reggie Wayne with ELITE athleticism or even a Jimmy Smith... Someone who plays bigger than his height and has a all-round skill set.

Just now, Williamb said:

Again, I'm in the trade back to increase picks crowd. But if you remember, 13 different recievers caught tds in '16. Just thinking of the havoc that could be created trying to guard all those guys (gage and zaccheus included).

also most time only 3 WRs are on the field at a time.    Just a stupid use of resources to take the strongest and deepest position on the team - we have literally GARBAGE at our 2nd/3rd Cornerback spots, garbage passrushers, garbage at safety, garbage at Left Guard and still need to see more from our right tackle.

The ONLY way I would take Chase or DeVonta Smith was if I traded Julio and got a nice return for him - and I still wouldn't do it.