Panthers interest was high in Stafford

Someday soon

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Panthers offered the Lions the No. 8 overall pick plus a "later" selection for Matthew Stafford. 

Per Breer, the Washington Football Team also offered the No. 19 pick plus a third-rounder. NBC's Peter King reports at least one other team offered a first-rounder. Teams were coming hard in the paint for a player a week shy of his 33rd birthday, one who has had some injury issues creep up over the past two years. Despite his question marks, it cannot be debated that Stafford's talent is a plane higher than Jared Goff's. 

Feb 1, 2021, 12:34 AM ET

I saw that earlier. I’m wondering if the Panthers offering #8 (and more) communicates either of the following from them:

1. We’re already in a good position to have a realistic shot at Trey Lance, but we’re not high on him.

2. We feel that one of the teams behind us (Denver, San Fran, Chicago) very well may try to leapfrog us for a QB, and the completion/price for that is going to be too high - so let’s get our QB now. 

“WE’RE” refers to CAROLINA. I’m pondering from their point of view because they’re the ones who offered #8.

Edited by CTann

We're in such a good position for this draft if we want to trade down. I can legitimately see us getting an extra 2nd this year and a 1st next year as an overpay from a team like the Lions (if they didn't want Stafford you can bet they aren't banking on Goff), Panthers, Broncos, 49ers...plenty of teams with interest that'll want to leapfrog each other.

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

We're in such a good position for this draft if we want to trade down. I can legitimately see us getting an extra 2nd this year and a 1st next year as an overpay from a team like the Lions (if they didn't want Stafford you can bet they aren't banking on Goff), Panthers, Broncos, 49ers...plenty of teams with interest that'll want to leapfrog each other.

Unless they are blowing smoke which they very well could be they said he is their guy.

8 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

NBC's Peter King reports both new Lions coach Dan Campbell and new GM Brad Holmes view Jared Goff as more than a "bridge" quarterback. 

Of course the Lions' new brain trust isn't going to come out and say they view Goff as a stopgap, but Holmes was serving as the Rams' director of college scouting the year they made Goff the No. 1 overall selection. Per King, Holmes "favored Goff inside the Rams draft room — and still does." Anyone reading this knows the score with Goff. He's too good to be a backup, not good enough to be a true franchise player. It's a major red flag when Sean McVay decides he has taken your talent to the absolute maximum, but Goff could still emerge with an Alex Smith-type career arc. The Lions' lack of talent will be conspiring against him in 2021, however. 

5 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

NBC's Peter King reports both new Lions coach Dan Campbell and new GM Brad Holmes view Jared Goff as more than a "bridge" quarterback. 

Of course the Lions' new brain trust isn't going to come out and say they view Goff as a stopgap, but Holmes was serving as the Rams' director of college scouting the year they made Goff the No. 1 overall selection. Per King, Holmes "favored Goff inside the Rams draft room — and still does." Anyone reading this knows the score with Goff. He's too good to be a backup, not good enough to be a true franchise player. It's a major red flag when Sean McVay decides he has taken your talent to the absolute maximum, but Goff could still emerge with an Alex Smith-type career arc. The Lions' lack of talent will be conspiring against him in 2021, however. 

Lol, yeah, I get that Holmes could really stick with him as "his guy" but I think this is smoke to the nth degree. You never know till draft season hits but I would be shocked if they think Stafford->Goff is anything other than a serious downgrade with the expectation of Goff being able to start at a hopefully-decent level until the next guy is ready.

They may very well wait until next year though, so there's that. I just view them having multiple 1st round picks in different years as good leverage to trade up now and still be set in the future.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

Lol, yeah, I get that Holmes could really stick with him as "his guy" but I think this is smoke to the nth degree. You never know till draft season hits but I would be shocked if they think Stafford->Goff is anything other than a serious downgrade with the expectation of Goff being able to start at a hopefully-decent level until the next guy is ready.

They may very well wait until next year though, so there's that.

Yeah it may very well be smoke it is the time to lie lol.

37 minutes ago, CTann said:

I saw that earlier. I’m wondering if the Panthers offering #8 (and more) communicates either of the following from them:

1. We’re already in a good position to have a realistic shot at Trey Lance, but we’re not high on him.

2. We feel that one of the teams behind us (Denver, San Fran, Chicago) very well may try to leapfrog us for a QB, and the completion/price for that is going to be too high - so let’s get our QB now. 

Probably means they were just high on Stafford 

38 minutes ago, CTann said:

You’re not high on him, don’t speak for the Falcons. 

16 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Could be.

16 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Sorry for the double quote.

15 minutes ago, jetpac said:

You’re not high on him, don’t speak for the Falcons. 

What in the actual h*** are you even talking about? Do you literally conjure stuff out of your a** and then post it? Find somewhere I’ve ever posted an opinion on these boards about Trey Lance, the quarterback prospect from NDSU. 

Want to know my opinion? He intrigues me. I have a few questions about him, but he intrigues me.

Edited by CTann

3 minutes ago, CTann said:

Could be.

Sorry for the double quote.

What in the actual h*** are you even talking about? Do you literally conjure stuff out of your a** and then post it? Find somewhere I’ve ever posted an opinion on these boards about Trey Lance, the quarterback prospect from NDSU. 

Want to know my opinion? He intrigues me. I have a few questions about him, but he intrigued me.

Triggered much? Truth is you have no idea who the Falcons are interested in. You can cry and write paragraphs all you want. Pull your pants up and be a big boy. 

Just now, jetpac said:

Triggered much? Truth is you have no idea who the Falcons are interested in. You can cry and write paragraphs all you want. Pull your pants up and be a big boy. 

Lol triggered? You want to my intention of my original post?

To simply ponder how other teams could view quarterbacks/the trading movements of the draft because that relates to the Falcons. My post had absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion of Trey Lance, and you spun it into that.

Where, in my original post, did I say I have an idea that I know who the Falcons are interested in? Where. Show me. Don’t keep spawning stuff out of nowhere. Show me.

1 hour ago, CTann said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Personally, I think 2 is the case. I can easily see the top 4 QBs gone in the top 4-5 picks. The first two because of need, the second two through a trade. 

Another thing to consider is this: Assuming the Jets go QB (I wouldn't if I'm them, for what it's worth), Darnold becomes another QB who'll be on the trade market. A shunned team, like Carolina, Washington or even New England might make a play for him. 

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Personally, I think 2 is the case. I can easily see the top 4 QBs gone in the top 4-5 picks. The first two because of need, the second two through a trade. 

Another thing to consider is this: Assuming the Jets go QB (I wouldn't if I'm them, for what it's worth), Darnold becomes another QB who'll be on the trade market. A shunned team, like Carolina, Washington or even New England might make a play for him. 

Darnold and Minshew are two I think will garner interest.  Both are on rookie contracts.