37 minutes ago, Power I said:

Slater to me looks like a natural guard. Putting Sewell at guard would take away a lot of what has him ranked so highly. His ability to block on an island, quick feet for edge rushers, height advantage, the list goes on. Slater has some of the same traits, but to my eyes looks like a Pro Bowl guard rather than a tackle. 

According to most sources, he ranks as a pro bowl guard also.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sewell, Surtain, or Rousseau 

I'll be 100% honest, I'd much rather go Kyle Pitts @ TE than to take another WR. At least with Pitts you can use him to make mismatches all over the formation. It's probably Slater though. The LG

if wilson is there im taking him, his talent is undenaible.

1 hour ago, dapanch420 said:

if wilson is there im taking him, his talent is undenaible.

Also a film junky and cares little about social life outside of football. Sign me up. Being around Arthur Smith and Ryan would do wonders for his development. I definitely prefer the grooming approach instead of tossing rookie QBs in the fire. Thats why so many 1st round QBs bust. Terrible situations + bad coaching.

31 minutes ago, Fleurieu falcon said:

All them and Surtain , I can't choose one.

Some hang ups on Surtain is that he is a little slow but didn't most people including myself have the same thought about Mychal Walker.

I would love to trade down for Surtain. I won’t be mad if Surtain is the pick at 4. Lock down the backfield with Surtain, AJ and grab a FS in FA. If Pees can get King who might be a FA, put him in slot. That would be sick secondary. 

52 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

In my scenario, I envision Sewell play LG and Jake staying at LT (unless we were to trade him, which I don't suggest that). Why don't you think Sewell can play LG? Or why do you believe Slater could play LG better than Sewell? 

I cringe at the thought of drafting someone at #4 and playing them out of position. Just my opinion

18 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

They probably didn't like your response. Most people around here still think we a 1 player away from winning it all.

Not exactly correct. Most of us realize that we are not 1 pick away( as in qb), and want to obtain as many picks as possible to increase our chances of building a competitive team. A qb does not block, tackle, or cover wr's. We need people who can start doing that day one.

46 minutes ago, Power I said:

Slater has some of the same traits, but to my eyes looks like a Pro Bowl guard rather than a tackle. 

I like that about him. We haven't had a great OG since Blalock retired. Chester and Levitre were good, but it's been grim for a while. Obviously, nobody's taking a guard at #4, but if we can trade down some and grab him at #16-#18, that's be perfect.

18 minutes ago, jidady said:

I like that about him. We haven't had a great OG since Blalock retired. Chester and Levitre were good, but it's been grim for a while. Obviously, nobody's taking a guard at #4, but if we can trade down some and grab him at #16-#18, that's be perfect.

I'm really high on slater and barmore. I think either one would pay immediate dividends 

44 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I cringe at the thought of drafting someone at #4 and playing them out of position. Just my opinion

I got no issue with that. I feel even worse drafting a QB who sits the bench all year or more (depending on how Ryan plays) as well. What about Sewell makes you think he can't play OG and be a back up OT from day 1? With that said, I still understand where you are coming from with that he's "out of position" and a back up OT. 

25 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I got no issue with that. I feel even worse drafting a QB who sits the bench all year or more (depending on how Ryan plays) as well. What about Sewell makes you think he can't play OG and be a back up OT from day 1? With that said, I still understand where you are coming from with that he's "out of position" and a back up OT. 

Granted, I've never been a lineman, but here are my thoughts. Aa far as footwork, it's a whole different game. Blocking the fast and furious DE's compared to playing inside with the bigger, stronger DT's. Picking up blitzers and stunts would be totally different. Adjusting tp the NFL is hard enough for any player. Adjusting in the NFL at a new position is a grand task. A big ask for a #4 draft pick

7 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Granted, I've never been a lineman, but here are my thoughts. Aa far as footwork, it's a whole different game. Blocking the fast and furious DE's compared to playing inside with the bigger, stronger DT's. Picking up blitzers and stunts would be totally different. Adjusting tp the NFL is hard enough for any player. Adjusting in the NFL at a new position is a grand task. A big ask for a #4 draft pick

I think it would be a different game if you lacked good footwork or if you were a stiff athlete. Thats why I think Sewell could do well as an OG or OT. Because his footwork and lateral agility is so good. But like you, I've never been a lineman. I'm just going off what I see. At least partially because everyone knows he has amazing footwork and mobility. Which is one of the biggest factors on why OT's can't play OG. Because they are too stiff. For example, McGary, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving him inside, but then again I could be wrong. 

Its just whether its worth taking an OG/Backup OT at #4 and if he can play OG. 

18 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I think it would be a different game if you lacked good footwork or if you were a stiff athlete. Thats why I think Sewell could do well as an OG or OT. Because his footwork and lateral agility is so good. But like you, I've never been a lineman. I'm just going off what I see. At least partially because everyone knows he has amazing footwork and mobility. Which is one of the biggest factors on why OT's can't play OG. Because they are too stiff. For example, McGary, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving him inside, but then again I could be wrong. 

Its just whether its worth taking an OG/Backup OT at #4 and if he can play OG. 

If that's the case (us taking him), I'd rather play him at OT and see if we could trade Matthews... not that I've looked at cap implications. 

Also, I think our line is talented. I'm hopeful that scheme and coaching can alleviate our issues between the run game and pass protection. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather take Sewell than a qb, but I'm still rooting for Chase at the moment

2 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

The receiver that I believe could potentially match Julio is Smith straight up... Chase is a faster Ridley.  We need that every route guy. If Julio is gone

With the new scheme do the Falcons want 175lbs blockers?  Maybe Smith could replace Ridley after a trade.

Assuming: it goes as predicted no big swerves Jax takes: Lawrence NYJ takes: Fields Mia takes: Chase

I would be fine with any of Wilson, Fairley, Surtain, Sewell, or Parsons any could have the case made for BPA and all present immediate value for our franchise except maybe Wilson but if the New regime wants a QB then he is definitely talented enough to warrant the pick

Edited by #84
2 hours ago, Williamb said:

You're not really unloading a lot of cap for ryan or julio. So you're saying sewell basically and shed matthews

Think farther ahead like 2022 and 2023 and the clearing of some cap in those years.  Long time fan here and will continue to be.

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'll be 100% honest, I'd much rather go Kyle Pitts @ TE than to take another WR. At least with Pitts you can use him to make mismatches all over the formation.

It's probably Slater though. The LG and C positions are completely up in the air. I don't like having that many questions on the interior of the line.

Not bad at ot either

https://youtu.be/Knb3z6N6ur4

Rashawn Slater highlights. 5.45 into it going after a linebacker and road grading him - nice play

Edited by Fleurieu falcon