Falcons need to trade Matt Ryan if they plan on drafting a QB

5 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

I may be wrong, but I think Ryan's cap hit will be $40 million if we trade him. Stafford's is $19 million. If accurate, that tells me all I need to know about a potential trade this offseason. 

His cap hit is $40M if he's on the roster.  $49M dead cap if traded so it costs $9M to trade him, not $40M. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Matt to.a contender and Julio to KC. That way they can go to teams that actually like playmakers. 

You all really trying to speak this into existence this off season huh?

I'm a militant Ryan Homer, unapologetically so.  But, this is an opinion I have harbored.  If plausible, trading Matt Ryan is the only thing that makes sense if you are drafting your new number one. 

Posted Images

Just now, nomak said:

I know for a fact they are not. 

What makes you so sure ? Half the league is trying to improve at QB and get a young guy ... MR is not the answer long term new GM new coach they’ll want their own guy ... when they asked TF what scared the Saints when facing the Falcons he said our receivers ... if we asked about the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Cardinals, Chargers etc the answer would have been the QB

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I'm a militant Ryan Homer, unapologetically so.  But, this is an opinion I have harbored.  If plausible, trading Matt Ryan is the only thing that makes sense if you are drafting your new number one.  Let Matt go to a franchise that can win now.

From a human point of view, MR knows he is a contributor.  And sticking the heir apparent behind him and expecting him to tutor that kid is a slap in the face for a competitor.  Since MR is not the problem with the Falcons, we should trade him to a team and a fanbase that appreciates his several more highly productive years to come.

Im not sure what you mean in Ryan going to a franchise that can win now?? Ryan hasnt shown he can win with some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL.. So what is it you mean by win now? I honestly don't know of any team once you plug Ryan into the mix can win anything now.? Please explain in more detail 

31 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Im not sure what you mean in Ryan going to a franchise that can win now?? Ryan hasnt shown he can win with some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL.. So what is it you mean by win now? I honestly don't know of any team once you plug Ryan into the mix can win anything now.? Please explain in more detail 

Aside from Mahomes last year, what QB has won a SB with the best offensive weapons in the NFL?

13 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I'm a militant Ryan Homer, unapologetically so.  But, this is an opinion I have harbored.  If plausible, trading Matt Ryan is the only thing that makes sense if you are drafting your new number one.  Let Matt go to a franchise that can win now.

From a human point of view, MR knows he is a contributor.  And sticking the heir apparent behind him and expecting him to tutor that kid is a slap in the face for a competitor.  Since MR is not the problem with the Falcons, we should trade him to a team and a fanbase that appreciates his several more highly productive years to come.

Aaron Rodgers is a competitor as well. Maybe Matt Ryan will win another MVP next year with a young, highly drafted rookie behind him.

6 hours ago, Slumerican said:

A complete team with a winning tradition.  A team with a far better culture and where winning in expected, and with a fan base that supports their players.  Still a few of them out there.

6 hours ago, Slumerican said:

A team with a running game and defense

7 hours ago, nomak said:

I know for a fact they are not. 

Excellent, so it has been settled. Just let us know the cuts and free agents and save us all with your omnipotent knowledge. Looks like the vast majority of this you have posted the past 3 years have been completely wrong, but I am just assuming that was a warm up to this next prophecy. 

Sorry had to look at some prior historical posts to make sure your legit. Really strong on your assessment of Quinn, nailed that one and the Beas...well can't get them all right.

Apparently, except your knowledge of the #4 pick.

Edited by PointSwayzee
31 minutes ago, EastATL said:

Aaron Rodgers is a competitor as well. Maybe Matt Ryan will win another MVP next year with a young, highly drafted rookie behind him.

I think what many including the media fail to realize was that this season was Rodgers 2nd season in LeFleur's scheme.

Rodgers had a down year by his standards in 2019 because it was his 1st year learning that new offense. He exploded this season after getting down the offense. Similar to how Ryan won the NFL MVP in his 2nd year in Kyle Shanahan's offense after having a down 1st year under Shanahan trying to learn the new offense.

The drafting of Love probably motivated Rodgers to stick it to the Packers now by wanting a new contract after having an MVP season. But Rodgers going into his 2nd year in LeFleur's scheme was really the reason why his production and level of play took off in 2020 compared to a down year in 2019.

17 hours ago, BLM said:

While I was all for keeping Matt Ryan and drafting a QB and letting him sit behind Ryan and become developed, seeing how the Lions got 2 first round draft picks and a former number 1 pick plus a 3rd rounder for Stafford, the Falcons need to trade Ryan before his contract expires and before his age REALLY starts to show.

We can always sign a veteran QB, Fitzpatrick, Foles, etc... to start while our new QB develops.  And the extra 2 first round picks, maybe even 3 or 4, will put the team in position to really becoming a long term sustainable success in about 2 or 3 years.  Saints have been pretty good at drafting players, so Terry Fontenot might be able to hit on some good ones.

Get it done!

I agree, but not for the reasons stated. 

I remember how ****ty this fan base was and how they treated Chris Chandler and his family once Vick was drafted. I pray that Matt never has to see how pathetic this fan base can be if we draft another QB.

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Excellent, so it has been settled. Just let us know the cuts and free agents and save us all with your omnipotent knowledge. Looks like the vast majority of this you have posted the past 3 years have been completely wrong, but I am just assuming that was a warm up to this next prophecy. 

Sorry had to look at some prior historical posts to make sure your legit. Really strong on your assessment of Quinn, nailed that one and the Beas...well can't get them all right.

Apparently, except your knowledge of the #4 pick.

Now you're getting it... Lol!  You must be pretty board to look at past post.  But without question a QB will not be picked at 4.  But if they do, feel free to once again go back and entertain yourself with previous posts and nail me again on a message board.  Lol...mmmk.  I'll be gleefully waiting. 

If the Falcons draft a QB, he needs to sit behind Matt Ryan for a couple of years.   Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, and Patrick Mahomes sat behind veteran QBs before they got their start.  Highly unlikely a rookie QB is going to come in and improve the offense.  There is a bigger risk of damaging a rookie QB's confidence and development if you start him the first year.  

6 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I agree, but not for the reasons stated. 

I remember how ****ty this fan base was and how they treated Chris Chandler and his family once Vick was drafted. I pray that Matt never has to see how pathetic this fan base can be if we draft another QB.

How pathetic EVERY fan base can be. That's why they're called FANS...

22 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Anyone know what this years draft class of QB's got as far as junk in the trunk? I'd hate to trade Matt Ryan then get a QB with less of a butt. 

yeah we been stuck with a no butt qb for over a decade, it's time we hire meghan trainor for qb coach so she can bring some booty back, and she made it clear she ain't no '2'

:ninja: