Falcons need to trade Matt Ryan if they plan on drafting a QB

While I was all for keeping Matt Ryan and drafting a QB and letting him sit behind Ryan and become developed, seeing how the Lions got 2 first round draft picks and a former number 1 pick plus a 3rd rounder for Stafford, the Falcons need to trade Ryan before his contract expires and before his age REALLY starts to show.

We can always sign a veteran QB, Fitzpatrick, Foles, etc... to start while our new QB develops.  And the extra 2 first round picks, maybe even 3 or 4, will put the team in position to really becoming a long term sustainable success in about 2 or 3 years.  Saints have been pretty good at drafting players, so Terry Fontenot might be able to hit on some good ones.

Get it done!

Edited by BLM
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Matt to.a contender and Julio to KC. That way they can go to teams that actually like playmakers. 

You all really trying to speak this into existence this off season huh?

I'm a militant Ryan Homer, unapologetically so.  But, this is an opinion I have harbored.  If plausible, trading Matt Ryan is the only thing that makes sense if you are drafting your new number one. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, BLM said:

While I was all for keeping Matt Ryan and drafting a QB and letting him sit behind Ryan and become developed, seeing how the Lions got 2 first round draft picks and a former number 1 pick plus a 3rd rounder for Stafford, the Falcons need to trade Ryan before his contract expires and before his age REALLY starts to show.

We can always sign a veteran QB, Fitzpatrick, Foles, etc... to start while our new QB develops.  And the extra 2 first round picks, maybe even 3 or 4, will put the team in position to really becoming a long term sustainable success in about 2 or 3 years.  Saints have been pretty good at drafting players, so Terry Fontenot might be able to hit on some good ones.

Get it done!

I'm a militant Ryan Homer, unapologetically so.  But, this is an opinion I have harbored.  If plausible, trading Matt Ryan is the only thing that makes sense if you are drafting your new number one.  Let Matt go to a franchise that can win now.

From a human point of view, MR knows he is a contributor.  And sticking the heir apparent behind him and expecting him to tutor that kid is a slap in the face for a competitor.  Since MR is not the problem with the Falcons, we should trade him to a team and a fanbase that appreciates his several more highly productive years to come.

21 minutes ago, BLM said:

I'm not sure what Stafford's contract situation is, but I'm thinking the impact to the Falcons for trading Ryan and the impact to the Lions for trading Stafford could be different from a dead money situation and such? I don't know, I'm just wondering if this is really and apples to apples comparison of situations. 

47 minutes ago, BLM said:

Get it done!

I say try to make a move with the Colts, similar to the Lions and Rams. Two 1st, and Brissett.

In the end it all boils down to whether or not we can find a dance partner.  Saying we should trade a third to the Jets for Darnold makes sense to the armchair GM saying that.  But its an anathema to the Jets.  The variability and volatility of the NFL really precludes many moves you think make sense.

Fontenot was hired in large part (IMHO) because of his skill set in evaluating pro talent.  He has a knack for finding players that others overlook to a degree, and the coaching staff maximized that.  Is it coincidental that we have the coaching staff that we now have?  Scheme minded, teachers.

No trade should happen before the draft. You can't just decide anyone will do. You have to do your research, and only trade Ryan if your guy is there. Now, you can have a wink/nod agreement in place for if that happens, but you can't trade him and get nobody, and you can't trade him and just take anybody.

Not and be smart anyway

14 minutes ago, hjerry said:

No trade should happen before the draft. You can't just decide anyone will do. You have to do your research, and only trade Ryan if your guy is there. Now, you can have a wink/nod agreement in place for if that happens, but you can't trade him and get nobody, and you can't trade him and just take anybody.

Not and be smart anyway

Exactly.

Besides, Rams & Lions have mutual ties and are helping each other out of a situation where Stafford ASKED to be traded and Rams had a terribly overpaid average QB when they were a QB away.

If Ryan is traded at some point, the timing is likely after this approaching draft.

This is a dynamic situation. Presuming the only way forward for the Falcons is moving Ryan is rather tired and lazy.

I guess we’ll see come evaluations and time to making decisions. Remember, the team is supposed to compete for the playoffs in the short term as well as long term. Their words. Deal with the existing core.

Your long term success may likewise be hindered if you fail to replace Ryan. This isn’t accomplished by simply drafting a QB where the fans think; or by drafting one at all.

The irony if a King’s ransom parted the Falcons; who to anyone’s knowledge havent put Ryan on the market and it isn’t been being discussed as rumored.

TBD but he very well may be restructured IF the cap set in March requires it.

1 hour ago, BLM said:

Get it done!

I co-sign this!!!   Trade him to NE for 15,47 and next yr 2nd. Draft Wilson at 4. Draft Barmore at 15 and build from there!  Maybe Collins drops into late 1st and we can move up into first again.  Sign a vet to mentor Wilson and compete for the job

16 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Ryan will be our starting QB come week 1 (unless injured). Ban me for the 2021 season if I'm wrong. Y'all need to chill. I'm surprised at how many folks think otherwise. 

I can understand POSSIBLY taking a QB at #4, but I'd honestly be surprised if that even happened. 

If you were banned, you would merely take off your glasses and post as Superman.. can't fool me 🤫

18 minutes ago, tcmafreak said:

I may be wrong, but I think Ryan's cap hit will be $40 million if we trade him. Stafford's is $19 million. If accurate, that tells me all I need to know about a potential trade this offseason. 

And Goff’s cap hit is substantial (bigger than Stafford’s which is why the Lions got two firsts in the deal.  We wouldn’t get anything close to that for Ryan due to the cap effects 

Ryan more than likely won't be traded.  I just don't see a scenario where it even makes sense.  The fiscal aspects are huge.  

Take a kid that AS likes and develop him.  We still have Benkert on the roster, and I would absolutely bank on us acquiring a Vet for a back up.  I'd love to see someone like a Minshew as a suitable sub if Ryan gets hurt.