After The Trade, Falcons Sitting Pretty? - The Falcoholic

Ryan's value is not static across the league. He has more value to some teams and systems than others. My thinking is that SF is the team most likely to consider Ryan as a high value target. You know he checks the boxes Shanahan needs checked. For that reason, I am inclined to think it is SF or nobody when playing the Ryan trade speculation game.

If SF gets healthy and trades for Ryan, they will be the declared off-season winners no matter what else happens. Even the Ryan detractors in the media would expect him to play well there. Shoot, even the TAFT haters would see that as a good fit. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The full article is on the Falcoholic website.   This particular part is Falcons related, so....here 'tis.      The Falcons: Sitting pretty Atlanta’s options are the same a

Man we better take them to the bank if we move down and not move just for the sake of moving

Falcons have to eat 40 M cap hit by trading Ryan. They aren’t gonna take any other contracts on top of that. 2021 is not the year to trade Ryan. Just trade down and get picks to build a team. When you

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Ryan's value is not static across the league. He has more value to some teams and systems than others. My thinking is that SF is the team most likely to consider Ryan as a high value target. You know he checks the boxes Shanahan needs checked. For that reason, I am inclined to think it is SF or nobody when playing the Ryan trade speculation game.

If SF gets healthy and trades for Ryan, they will be the declared off-season winners no matter what else happens. Even the Ryan detractors in the media would expect him to play well there. Shoot, even the TAFT haters would see that as a good fit. 

Could you imagine him going there and winning with Shanny?  That would warm my cold dark heart.  

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

Could you imagine him going there and winning with Shanny?  That would warm my cold dark heart.  

It would drive me further insane. I'm pretty much a homer. Former Falcon = enemy, at least until the day the Falcons are eliminated from contention.

Let's put the glove on the other hand. Imagine the Falcons knocking Ryan and the 9ers out in the NFCCG. Boy would the "told you so-ers" have a field day. It wouldn't matter if Najee Harris ("reached for" with the 12th pick acquired in the Ryan trade) ran for 175 and the Falcons controlled the clock for 45 minutes with a rookie ball manager. 

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

Another team that just might want Ryan:  the Raiders.   Mike Mayock is the GM there, he has been an admirer of Ryan's since his Boston College days.    Plus....didn't Gruden coach for the Bucs a few games against Ryan?  Not sure....

5 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Another team that just might want Ryan:  the Raiders.   Mike Mayock is the GM there, he has been an admirer of Ryan's since his Boston College days.    Plus....didn't Gruden coach for the Bucs a few games against Ryan?  Not sure....

What's wrong with Derek Carr? He has a qb rating of 100+ the last 2 years... MR2 has 2 seasons of 100+ ratings in 13 years

7 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Im not a doctor, but I honestly believe Ryan should be on anxiety meds.. Maybe he has ptsd from nightmares with his oline.. But the guy never looks relaxed in the pocket.. If somehow he can get chilled out he may be able to perform at his best, but every time he takes a snap and he has the deer in headlights look on his face i worry about whats coming next.. Just a thought, im here for you Ryan if you need to talk.. Mods please deliver to Falcons medical staff.. Ryan needs our help 

This is a prime example of what is known as illumination by low wattage. 

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

What's wrong with Derek Carr? He has a qb rating of 100+ the last 2 years... MR2 has 2 seasons of 100+ ratings in 13 years

About Carr...I  don't know.  I keep hearing in the media that the Raiders are open to moving on from Derek.

9 hours ago, egoprime II said:

My understanding is, cap hits from future bonuses accelerate to the present no matter if a player is released or traded.   Cap hits from bonuses do not carry over to other teams.

I'll admit, my info may be dated.   Because the NFL and NFLPA have already been manipluating the rules they agreed to in order to manage the Coronavirus.

Maybe one of the talking heads on TV will tell us how this worked....

Not really future bonuses.

Cap hits are for money that’s paid. Teams can prorate the cap hits from bonuses so they can be spread out and manipulated.

Thats why when teams mess with the cap hits they tend to convert salary to bonuses so they can push those hits further down the road.

The issue with Ryan is the money he’s already been paid PLUS they moved things around which made his later cap hits worse.

If he’s traded/released all the cap hits they’ve spread out “accelerate” which means it comes due immediately so it would be an instant 40 million cap hit.... At a time when the cap may drop by that much across the league.

Any future bonuses that are not paid technically don’t have cap hits yet but they may be calculated into salary cap tables so the Falcons will know what they have to pay.

25 minutes ago, EpicBird said:

This is a prime example of what is known as illumination by low wattage. 

The delusional fanboy stuff is out of control.. Get a grip man, Ryan would be a much better qb if he didn't stay so rattled every time he took a snap.. Its going to take a lot for Ryan to trust a oline again.. None of his doing, but im sure he has nightmares of pass rushers in his face often.. Have a little compassion for the mans sanity, how would you feel if you had to run for your life every time you took a snap.. Ffs

5 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Lions didn't give up anything. Stafford wanted out and the Lions agreed on his request. They could very well be looking to trade up and sit someone behind Goff for a year like how some here want the Falcons to do with a rookie behind Ryan. 

Yes i had it backwards. The Rams gave it up for Stafford. Hopefully the Lions are still a good trading partner. Nice to have the extra ammo available to trade up later if there's a specific target.

8 hours ago, atljbo said:

Whats crazy is he was the one QB aome was saying idk about.... Ive said the same thing about these QBs... It depends on the coaching and the supporting cast also...

I like Herbert but it ****sure helps to have a vet like Keenan Allen with Mike Williams withhhh Hunter Henry... Add in Ekeler as a runner and reciver

That helps man

That would basically be Fields/Wilson situation we have Julio/Ridley/Gage/Hurst we just need a QB who can stretch the field and consistently hit the deep ball

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

About Carr...I  don't know.  I keep hearing in the media that the Raiders are open to moving on from Derek.

Because he’s a low ceiling QB ... Jimmy G type .. he can be good when everything is set up for him but he won’t greatly elevate your team or make off schedule plays 

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not really future bonuses.

Cap hits are for money that’s paid. Teams can prorate the cap hits from bonuses so they can be spread out and manipulated.

Thats why when teams mess with the cap hits they tend to convert salary to bonuses so they can push those hits further down the road.

The issue with Ryan is the money he’s already been paid PLUS they moved things around which made his later cap hits worse.

If he’s traded/released all the cap hits they’ve spread out “accelerate” which means it comes due immediately so it would be an instant 40 million cap hit.... At a time when the cap may drop by that much across the league.

Any future bonuses that are not paid technically don’t have cap hits yet but they may be calculated into salary cap tables so the Falcons will know what they have to pay.

Yeah, my wording could have been better on that one.  Future bonuses are like the 10.5 million Gurley was supposed to get from the Rams last....March?  Thing is Gurley got cut so that 10.5 million did not get paid to him.

Your description is much better... thanks for the clarification.   😊

Edited by egoprime II
22 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Because he’s a low ceiling QB ... Jimmy G type .. he can be good when everything is set up for him but he won’t greatly elevate your team or make off schedule plays 

Yeah.  There are several QBs like that around the NFL.  Carr, Garopolo, Goff, Cousins, Bridgewater....

I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for any off  'em.

10 hours ago, egoprime II said:

They may like him, but he was MVP level special in one system...the one in SF. I think most real football men appreciate Matt Ryan more than the average TATF contributor. Like him or hate him, we've been so close for so long that consistently strong QB play looks oh so meh. 

19 hours ago, Jesus said:

Asking for picks in a pandemic draft seems like a bad idea.

Well on one hand more prospects have bigger question marks. On the other, it could be beneficial because some really good guys could go under the radar and drop lower than they would in a normal year. Really anxious to see how this off-season plays out

10 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Well on one hand more prospects have bigger question marks. On the other, it could be beneficial because some really good guys could go under the radar and drop lower than they would in a normal year. Really anxious to see how this off-season plays out

It's going to be interesting for sure. Teams are going to make some bad decisions. I hope the Falcons aren't one.