Well, This Shakes Up the NFL and the Draft

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

And if I am HOU I also fine Watson to the max if he digs his heels in this deep. Can’t let a player hold a team hostage, sets a bad precedent for other/future players.

Watson has Houston by the balls. They have no premium picks very little cap space and a reputation for being a poorly run franchise with bad ownership- therefore they have little leverage. The only play Houston has is to swallow ther pride and trade Watson for a haul. 

4 hours ago, AvidFalconFan said:

Thank you. When I mentioned trading MR I was laughed at and told it's not possible based on his salary and dead cap money.  

Teams find a way to restructure contracts, etc.

So for all the cap experts on here especially ones who discount your opinion based on your post count, 😆 laugh and mock others all you want. 😃

I still say it's time to move on from MR. It IS possible to trade him in spite of his large salary. 

MR could use a change and so can the Falcons. 

I won't be surprised if MR is traded.

Let's GO ! 😆 

But you'll be surprised when he's not traded. 

35 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Houston has more leverage than you think. Watson signing that extension actually made the dysfunctional, poorly run franchise, have HIM by the balls

Goff just signed a contract two years ago and got traded so I don't think that matters much. Watson knows that withholding his services to a team with no draft capital or cap space when they could get a haul for him to reset their franchise gives him plenty of leverage.

20 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Goff just signed a contract two years ago and got traded so I don't think that matters much. Watson knows that withholding his services to a team with no draft capital or cap space when they could get a haul for him to reset their franchise gives him plenty of leverage.

Rams want to win now and HOU doesn't have to. HOU has pretty good options if they do or don't do anything with Watson. When the new CBA hits in 2022, it basically freezes Watsons contract time if he doesn't show up for work. NFL knows they can't go the NBA route of players holding the clubs for ransom.

1. Don't trade Watson avoiding 20+ M in dead cap, with out a good QB they will probably end up getting #1 over al pick in 2022. They can start fining Watson for missing minicamps, training camps and preseasons/regular games. In 2022, Watson has even lesser options which can freeze his contract time for the years he doesn't show up. 

2. Some desperate team gives up 3 first rounds and couple second round picks with  very good starters added in 2021. Realistically HOU can trade him in 2022 with out a big cap hit and gather more picks. 

For Watson's sake he better hope some team bites the trade ransom Texans may consider. His best options are probably Jets/Miami trading with Houston. 

8 hours ago, stizz said:

Comparing Ryan against two guys who have never struggled with arm strength, a category where Ryan continues to decline in. 

Speaking of the TB game at home, you must be forgetting when dude lofted an easy INT that was dropped before halftime and ran into his own lineman and fell on that last drive.

He was great for us. He's just not that guy anymore. Banking on him to turn things around at age 37 instead of thinking rationally that he'll end up more on the Brees track is a disservice to the franchise.

This board. 

Matt Ryan is 35. Y’all are gonna have him with an AARP card and a walker if you talk about his age another day or two. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Rams want to win now and HOU doesn't have to. HOU has pretty good options if they do or don't do anything with Watson. When the new CBA hits in 2022, it basically freezes Watsons contract time if he doesn't show up for work. NFL knows they can't go the NBA route of players holding the clubs for ransom.

1. Don't trade Watson avoiding 20+ M in dead cap, with out a good QB they will probably end up getting #1 over al pick in 2022. They can start fining Watson for missing minicamps, training camps and preseasons/regular games. In 2022, Watson has even lesser options which can freeze his contract time for years he doesn't show up. 

2. Some desperate team gives up 3 first rounds and couple second round picks with  very good starters added in 2021. Realistically HOU can trade him in 2022 with out a big cap hit and gather more picks. 

For Watson's sake he better hope some team bites the trade ransom Texans may consider. His best options are probably Jets/Miami trading with Houston. 

Watson doesn’t have to sit out the entire year. Just play in his teams last 6 games and he still get credit with playing the year. Just have to report by week 10

20 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

If he doesn't, his agent sure as heck does!

So let's see Matt is a 100 years old and can't play football. Falcons need to move on.

Watson is 25 and had a pretty great year but the Texans would be best to trade him.

No one ever considers building a team around them to succeed. Here's the thing. If you draft a QB guess what...you're going to have to build a team around them to succeed.  That's why you sign guys to long term deals. To build successful teams around them.

44 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

The Rams just screwed every team trying to get Watson. That price just went through the ceiling.

the price was already higher for Watson, Hence the Rams pulling the trigger on Staff for cheaper who they think is a perfect fit for their scheme.

19 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Watson doesn’t have to sit out the entire year. Just play in his teams last 6 games and he still get credit with playing the year. Just have to report by week 10

That is going to change in 2022 CBA, Watson can lose an accrued season for missing camps for more than 5 consecutive days, missing games by holding out. Watson thought he could sign an extension to guarantee his bonus for injuries during 2020 season and bail out at the end. Its a gamble he and his agent took. HOU doesn't have to start him even him he shows up for final six games if they want to. tank. 

Edit: Looks like Watson has to show up 30 days before the first game to the facility or risk losing an year. It doesn't matter how many games he plays in 2021. Aaron Donald lost his accrued league year in 2018, when he failed to show up in time though he played 14 games.

Let’s not miss that the QB the Rams traded was the number 1 overall pick. So was the player they traded for. 

Sometimes a top 5 pick gets you the franchise QB. Sometimes it gets you a guy you trade along with the next 2 drafts worth of picks so you can get a franchise QB. Be careful what you wish for. 

10 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Stanford is miles better than Goff

Yes. He is better. He’s also 7 years older. My main point is the Rams are obviously pushing all their chips in and basically have a limited plan for the future. Outside of Donald and Ramsey, I don’t know if they have a guy they could trade for a first rounder, which is not the end all be all, but it will definitely impede their progress in the coming years. 

9 hours ago, egoprime II said:

My thoughts.... Rams GM Les Snead used to work here for Dimitroff.   He engineered the RGIII trade with Washington.

Jared Goff's value is very low.  Basically he is a throw-in.  The Rams' 1sts and 3rd will be late in the round, so Detroit did not do as well as you might think, unless Stafford gets hurt.......

Matt Stafford is a much better QB than some here might think.  The Rams just become the latest NFC team to surpass the Falcons in talent in a big way.   Maybe I'll make a thread about it....

Biggest question:  would you guys accept both Detoit's 1st for our 4?

To me, this trade looks like it was orchestrated above Snead as a “win now” move. They JUST gave Goff a big contract. The Rams are all over the board in terms of not seemingly having a consensus on which direction the team should go. 

1 minute ago, izibit74 said:

We need to win now. We fans are sick. We haven't had a good season since the super

That's really been part of the problem with how the FO and coaching staff looked at this team every year since the Super Bowl. Every year we try to recapture what we were the year we went to the Super Bowl, and every year we're reduced from what we were the year before because the new team is just a slightly older, more rotten version of what it was the previous season.

26 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That is going to change in 2022 CBA, Watson can lose an accrued season for missing camps for more than 5 consecutive days, missing games by holding out. Watson thought he could sign an extension to guarantee his bonus for injuries during 2020 season and bail out at the end. Its a gamble he and his agent took. HOU doesn't have to start him even him he shows up for final six games if they want to. tank. 

Edit: Looks like Watson has to show up 30 days before the first game to the facility or risk losing an year. It doesn't matter how many games he plays in 2021. Aaron Donald lost his accrued league year in 2018, when he failed to show up in time though he played 14 games.

Ahh ok thanks for that info