Maybe the defense isn't as bad as it seems...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After Quinn got canned, by far I think the bigger problem was Koetter. 

Falcons ended season 14th in defensive DVOA last year. Which was remarkable considering those first 5 games when they were horrid. Ulbrich/Morris did a commendable job there.    https://www.foo

Im still trying to get over holding KC in check

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Well that’s not true. Falcons offensive problem was RZ production. The Falcons offense dominated time of possession. What killed the defense was big plays and inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. Falcons offense was top 10 on third down conversions. Defense improved but still ended up around 18-20. If Falcons scored better in RZ, the offense would have scored much more.

We will agree to disagree on this.

The one thing that drove me crazy was the 3 and outs on offense. Not to mention a good run gm. How do you have good time of possession but cant run the ball?  It was way more than just redzone issues.

I feel you and i watched 2 different teams. We didnt start running and controlling the clock consistently until the last quarter of the season .

Edited by red falcon
43 minutes ago, red falcon said:

We will agree to disagree on this.

The one thing that drove me crazy was the 3 and outs on offense. Not to mention a good run gm. How do you have good time of possession but cant run the ball?  It was way more than just redzone issues.

I feel you and i watched 2 different teams. We didnt start running and controlling the clock consistently until the last quarter of the season .

Time of possession is a simple stat. Per drive offense was 2:49 and defense was 2:40. The Falcons yards per drive was very good in NFL, along with worst in Red zone. Add record number of  hoe Koo’s million FGs. Heck if they scored TD on half of those FG from RZ, they would have been in top 5 scoring. We’re there games offense struggled ? Sure but not like they couldn’t move the ball. 

7 hours ago, red falcon said:

Yeah it wasnt as bad as people made it out to be.

True. The reality of it is that teams beat us by attacking our weaknesses. Matt Ryan can pick a Defense apart when they're playing his game. Playing from behind with a one dimensional offense is never good. It also has an effect on a QB that lacks mobility. On the other hand, it works the same way in reverse. With a QB that's not mobile, it limits the threat of the run game.

I see several Offenses slicing our secondary. I believed we were bottom 5 in pass coverage so this doesn’t surprise me. We did pretty well v run so that higher breakout rank doesn’t surprise me. I think one spot at tackle and 2 in secondary, really 1 CB and 1 S and honestly another S in FA is enough to hold the D below the production of our O.  I really do think our D except secondary was good or very good. Not best, but much better than most of the teams we faced.

Just too many broken ankles downfield. 

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Time of possession is a simple stat. Per drive offense was 2:49 and defense was 2:40. The Falcons yards per drive was very good in NFL, along with worst in Red zone. Add record number of  hoe Koo’s million FGs. Heck if they scored TD on half of those FG from RZ, they would have been in top 5 scoring. We’re there games offense struggled ? Sure but not like they couldn’t move the ball. 

Yeah but yards mean nothing if you dont score touchdowns. You can make numbers and stats say what you want. A nine min difference isnt much, but there is definitely more to it than what you can just look at numbers wise.

We will definitely see next year what our talent level really is.  Our DC is a legend and he brought with him a team of veteran coaches who have survived in this league a long time.  I expect we will have a great game plan, good discipline and good play calling.

The questions about the defense will be answered by their execution Pees will get them opportunities to make plays it will be up to them to get it done.