Maybe the defense isn't as bad as it seems...

According to Pro Football Reference, the Falcons had the last ranked pass defense, the 6th ranked rushing defense, and the #19 overall total defense. 

With the meltdowns in 2020, I suppose I overlooked the bright side of how great the team was against the run. This is promising! 

If we can keep the relevant cap casualties to a minimum, form some type of pass rush, shore up the safety positions then I believe that the defense is salvageable as is without having to do a full overhaul of the team to address the defense.

Which players do you think we'll be outright cut, or signed away from the Falcons in free agency?

Is there a defensive player at #4 who could immediately have an impact and turn things around? If we trade down, then who are we targeting that we don't think is worthy of a #4 pick?

How can Pees get the most out of this unit as it exists today?

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

10 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

According to Pro Football Reference, the Falcons had the last ranked pass defense, the 6th ranked rushing offense, and the #19 overall total defense. 

With the meltdowns in 2020, I suppose I overlooked the bright side of how great the team was against the run. This is promising! 

If we can keep the relevant cap casualties to a minimum, form some type of pass rush, shore up the safety positions then I believe that the defense is salvageable as is without having to do a full overhaul of the team to address the defense.

Which players do you think we'll be outright cut, or signed away from the Falcons in free agency?

Is there a defensive player at #4 who could immediately have an impact and turn things around? If we trade down, then who are we targeting that we don't think is worthy of a #4 pick?

People on here seem to think that we should just cut second tier players like Ricardo Allen, or Brian Hill. The reality is that our team has underperformed, and that's with our stars included.

21 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

According to Pro Football Reference, the Falcons had the last ranked pass defense, the 6th ranked rushing offense, and the #19 overall total defense. 

Falcons ended season 14th in defensive DVOA last year. Which was remarkable considering those first 5 games when they were horrid. Ulbrich/Morris did a commendable job there. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2021/final-2020-dvoa-ratings

5 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

ummmm...  not much need to run when you can pass at will.

Well if you recall the first few games (not sure how anyone could forget) the Falcons had leads, so the teams had to abandon the run and pass to comeback and get, against all odds, wins.

Also when having a large lead, a lot of teams tend to run the ball to burn the clock.

6 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

People on here seem to think that we should just cut second tier players like Ricardo Allen, or Brian Hill. The reality is that our team has underperformed, and that's with our stars included.

The only way we should keep Allen is if he takes a team friendly contract, but if he wants to see if he can get paid elsewhere so be it.

I say keep Brian Hill as a change of pace running back. for a one-two punch, but we need to find the "one".

1 minute ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

The only way we should keep Allen is if he takes a team friendly contract, but if he wants to see if he can get paid elsewhere so be it.

I say keep Brian Hill as a change of pace running back. for a one-two punch, but we need to find the "one".

Hill and Ito are interchangeable number 3s and 4s, gotta fix that room

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Falcons ended last year 14th in defensive DVOA last year. Which was remarkable considering those first 5 games when they were horrid. Ulbrich/Morris did a commendable job there. 

I know! If I recall, the first game we had two sacks against Wilson. I was so excited. Being that sacks were hard to come by in 2019. Then everything fell apart.

34 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

In your OP, you say 6th rushing offense

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Falcons ended season 14th in defensive DVOA last year. Which was remarkable considering those first 5 games when they were horrid. Ulbrich/Morris did a commendable job there. 

I think problem with the defense is hot and cold streaks and giving 20 points in a quarter. They weren’t bad still can’t hold the fort when they need to stop an offense late in 4th quarter. I am excited to see What Pees can do with this unit.