FA Rule from Last Year Helps Falcons Sign Vets

1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

NFL vets' pay does go up depending on how many years they play, so there is that.

You know......college players have to keep thier grades up in order to play college ball.   Generally they have to be smart.

Thing is... if a college player -is- that smart....would he be risking his body playing college, and then pro, football?

Life is full of contradictions........

Eh... I want to say that college players keeping their grades up is a farce. Plenty of them have "assistants" who "help" them with homework, papers, grades, etc... the more "star player" you are, the more assistance you get. This is not for every single player of course, but just what I have noticed at Baylor, Texas Tech and even a smaller school in Sam Houston State university. 

You know......college players have to keep thier grades up in order to play college ball.   Generally they have to be smart.

Life is full of contradictions........

Rumor has it, you have to be smart in High School in order to make it to college ball... in reality, all you have to be is very good at ball.

Some athletic scholarships may carry a minimum grade average requirement... in the big money world of NCAA football, that doesnt seem to be a hindrance for the uber-talented.  Grade averages can be easily monitored and maintained all for the glory of the institution.

Life is full of contradictions indeed

11 minutes ago, emc008 said:

Eh... I want to say that college players keeping their grades up is a farce. Plenty of them have "assistants" who "help" them with homework, papers, grades, etc... the more "star player" you are, the more assistance you get. This is not for every single player of course, but just what I have noticed at Baylor, Texas Tech and even a smaller school in Sam Houston State university. 

3 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Rumor has it, you have to be smart in High School in order to make it to college ball... in reality, all you have to be is very good at ball.

Some athletic scholarships may carry a minimum grade average requirement... in the big money world of NCAA football, that doesnt seem to be a hindrance for the uber-talented.  Grade averages can be easily monitored and maintained all for the glory of the institution.

Life is full of contradictions indeed

Books have been written about what you guys are talking about.   More could be written.  Its all still happening right now.    And as long as that big money is coming in....this stuff will keep happening.

Best to get it all out into the open, designate some schools as 'player schools' and others ;student athlete' schools....and keep them seperate.  No more fake degrees.   No more cheating.

1 hour ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

IKR, I turned 50 this year and if they offered me a guaranteed vet min I would go out there and let Deion Jones and the rest of the D use me as a human tackling dummy. Even after subtracting the money to have my spleen removed I would still be making bank. 😛 

That's not much of an offer.

I mean... this -IS- the Falcons' D we're talking about, here.......🙄

Unless Keanu Neal comes back.... oof!

The rest of our guys would probably miss you!  heh.......

Books have been written about what you guys are talking about.   More could be written.  Its all still happening right now.    And as long as that big money is coming in....this stuff will keep happening.

Best to get it all out into the open, designate some schools as 'player schools' and others ;student athlete' schools....and keep them seperate.  No more fake degrees.   No more cheating.

If I could, I would buy a prison, then buy membership into the NCAA then play football against them.

I could insure that the prisoners are more compliant with the restrictions, wouldnt have to pay them to remain in line with NCAA policy, and promise the players the possibility of the NFL draft when they were done with their sentences.

I think the hard part would be the travel, but if I could pay schools to come to the prison to play and sign an exclusive network deal with big payouts for the institutions (including my prison), I think it might work.

I probably wouldnt have to even worry about Title 9 requirements to suck away from my athletics budget

That's not much of an offer.

I mean... this -IS- the Falcons' D we're talking about, here.......🙄

Unless Keanu Neal comes back.... oof!

The rest of our guys would probably miss you!  heh.......

Pretty sure Grady would take my soul and knock me into the shadow realm... but when we do the math

Vet Minimum - Spleen - Soul= Profit 

13 minutes ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

Pretty sure Grady would take my soul and knock me into the shadow realm... but when we do the math

Vet Minimum - Spleen - Soul= Profit 

Grady actually is very good at avoiding folks who do -not- have the ball in thier hands.  So as long as you don't carry the ball...

That's my answer, an' I'm sticking to it, heh...........😜

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

You raise some good points.

I also answered Retro....I said some of the things you did, but it took me more words to say them........  🙄

You need to post more often, Dire!

Thanks!

In my youth, I posted a ton. These days, I mostly lurk and read the articles - this place is a great clearinghouse for content so my lazy self doesn't have to hunt! :D

11 minutes ago, direwolf said:

Thanks!

In my youth, I posted a ton. These days, I mostly lurk and read the articles - this place is a great clearinghouse for content so my lazy self doesn't have to hunt! :D

I remember you posting here when I started posting in the mid 90's........long time!

Us old timers gotta stick together......😁

3 hours ago, RetroRoq said:

Man, these cats laying it all on the line to get paid scrub wages...

dont nobody come @ me talking about the benefits of a college scholarship to maybe play in the NFL.  The whole system is skewed against all but an elite few.

No pay in college, fixed contracts to begin with, rookie pay as a vet.  Hard times when you walking away crippled and concussed.

they're still beating what most people work for in pay... 

1 hour ago, RedandBlack4ever said:

I've been here just as long. I've just always been a lurker I enjoy reading all the posts.  I always wanted to go to Flowery branch for training camp or to catch a live game but I put it off to long and now I'm pretty much homebound in my Wheelchair. I was diagnosed in 1993 with a rare type of Muscular dystrophy.

Hate hearing stories like this....age is hitting everyone I know, we all seem to be getting diseases and such.

Best wishes to you....that's a particularly hard thing to go thru.  I hope you are getting the help you need.

All is well right now.  Currently living at home with mom who will be 84 tomorrow and is as big a fan of football if not bigger. She's always yelling at the TV.  One day a neighborhood boy was walking through the yard while she was watching a game and she yelled get him knock head off, I don't think kids stopped running yet.

1 minute ago, RedandBlack4ever said:

All is well right now.  Currently living at home with mom who will be 84 tomorrow and is as big a fan of football if not bigger. She's always yelling at the TV.  One day a neighborhood boy was walking through the yard while she was watching a game and she yelled get him knock head off, I don't think kids stopped running yet.

Good to hear. May be you can write to Falcons and arrange a pass for practice, if they open up post Covid.The best time to go to practices was 2008-2011. The crowd was much smaller, there was just a rope separating players. Some of the players after practice would jump over the rope and hang out with fans. 

Being an old person I can tell you from experience that with the numerous life changing decisions one makes along the way, the decisions between good and less good are the ones you look back on with pleasure. These guys are making a decision to prolong a good to slightly less good situation. What comes after is not for the faint hearted. 800 G's. Nice while you can get it. Lots of people making 1\10th of that and still putting their bodies in harms way for 30 years+ and they're just as skilled at their profession.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

I'd love to get crippled and concussed to make a single year's pay of the NFL minimum. Considering the shape my body is in from having never played a down of football I wouldn't be that much worse off.

I am with you.  I did 20 in the Marine Corps.  The highest I saw was about 75-80k.  My median was about 50K throughout my career.  I started entry level and went up like all but never a major payday.  That was with a housing allowance.  If I did not have that housing allowance you could knock off about 15K-20K but I still had a place to stay.  They play a sport and have a lot of compensation.  The team pays all meals for them while at the facility.        

On 1/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, RetroRoq said:

Man, these cats laying it all on the line to get paid scrub wages...

dont nobody come @ me talking about the benefits of a college scholarship to maybe play in the NFL.  The whole system is skewed against all but an elite few.

No pay in college, fixed contracts to begin with, rookie pay as a vet.  Hard times when you walking away crippled and concussed.

LMAO