FA Rule from Last Year Helps Falcons Sign Vets

The NFL and NFLPA had a problem.    Teams were running out of cap space.   To fill out thier rosters, teams were turning to low cost UDFA rookies to fill out thier rosters.   This diluted the quality of play, because many of these higher-priced vets could still play.   But....because of the rules....vets had to be paid according to the minimum wage scale negotiated by the league and the union.   Veterans could not 'accept less' in order to keep playing.

So the NFL and NFLPA hammered out a new rule.  If a team signed a vet to the bare minimum salary according to the veteran wage scale?  That veterans' salary would only count as much as a rookies' pay, as regards the salary cap.  This started -last- offseason.

CORRECTION:  this rule has been in place longer than since "last offseason".  Thanks to poster   hjerry for pointing that out!

So for those of us who were wondering why the Falcons had so many expiring contracts plus had the oldest roster in the NFL last season.... that's why.   

This also raises hopes the Falcons will be able to bring back veteran players like Reynolds, Treadwell, Neasman, Bledi=Wilson, Dennard, Means.......

Edited by egoprime II

3 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

The NFL and NFLPA had a problem.    Teams were running out of cap space.   To fill out thier rosters, teams were turning to low cost UDFA rookies to fill out thier rosters.   This diluted the quality of play, because many of these higher-priced vets could still play.   But....because of the rules....vets had to be paid according to the minimum wage scale negotiated by the league and the union.   Veterans could not 'accept less' in order to keep playing.

So the NFL and NFLPA hammered out a new rule.  If a team signed a vet to the bare minimum salary according to the veteran wage scale?  That veterans' salary would only count as much as a rookies' pay, as regards the salary cap.  This started -last- offseason.

So for those of us who were wondering why the Falcons had so many expiring contracts plus had the oldest roster in the NFL last season.... that's why.   

This also raises hopes the Falcons will be able to bring back veteran players like Reynolds, Treadwell, Neasman, Bledi=Wilson, Dennard, Means.......

I did not know this. 

Man, these cats laying it all on the line to get paid scrub wages...

dont nobody come @ me talking about the benefits of a college scholarship to maybe play in the NFL.  The whole system is skewed against all but an elite few.

No pay in college, fixed contracts to begin with, rookie pay as a vet.  Hard times when you walking away crippled and concussed.

16 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

...rookie pay as a vet. 

They don't get rookie pay they still get the vet minimum but only the rookie wage amount counts against the cap. But even if they are being offered  crap pay to put it all on the line there is this awesome word to counteract this. That word is "no". Takes 2 to make a contract if you don't like the compensation don't sign on the line.

3 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

dont nobody come @ me talking about the benefits of a college scholarship to maybe play in the NFL.  The whole system is skewed against all but an elite few.

No pay in college, fixed contracts to begin with, rookie pay as a vet.  Hard times when you walking away crippled and concussed.

It's not rookie pay for veterans, man. It means that vet min only counts as much as rookie pay AGAINST THE CAP.

Besides, a first year practice squad player in the NFL pulls down $8400/week - over $142,000 for 17 weeks' work. Players with more experience make more on the practice squad. It goes up from there. Meanwhile, for perspective, the median household income in the US is about $68k/year (52 weeks).

While I get the concern over the physical toll it takes, at the end of the day, players today make a choice knowing the risks (as opposed to in the past when the evidence appears that the league DID hide the information from the players). Given that, I don't buy in to the whole argument about "selling their bodies" - they know what they're doing and chose to do so. No one makes them do it.

19 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

I'd love to get crippled and concussed to make a single year's pay of the NFL minimum. Considering the shape my body is in from having never played a down of football I wouldn't be that much worse off.

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'd love to get crippled and concussed to make a single year's pay of the NFL minimum. Considering the shape my body is in from having never played a down of football I wouldn't be that much worse off.

IKR, I turned 50 this year and if they offered me a guaranteed vet min I would go out there and let Deion Jones and the rest of the D use me as a human tackling dummy. Even after subtracting the money to have my spleen removed I would still be making bank. 😛 

13 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

You are referring to the NFL, right?   The NFL is the ultimate proof of Darwin's theory, 'survival of the fittest'.   In the vast majority of cases players actually are paid what they are worth.    The players' union negotiated this out, so....the players at least -did- have a say.

Value of scholarships is actually going up.   Still, the worth is in the 'eyes of the beholder',   Players -can- elect to pay thier own way, without playing.   In all sports, the elite are gonna get paid.   Just the way it is.

Lots of professions cause debilitating health issues especially with age.  College and pro sports, both, have horrible records when it come to protecting, and being honest with, players.  With all the info young athletes have now? They -should- have a pretty good idea what they might do to thier bodies if they choose to play.  They have free choice....its on them, at least partially.

Pay for college players is coming.   Too much money flying around for the players -not- to get any.  When it comes collage rosters will be reduced -substantially-.   No more 90 man squads.   More like 60.

The NFL draft is just about the most unconstitutional, un-American thing there is.    No way should a young man coming out of college, be -told- where he has to play or who he has to play -for-.   Which is why I supported what John Elway and Eli Manning did on thier respective draft days.

Yeah, if i could choose to play one season of pro sports at the vet minimum for that sport, football would not be it.

The part of town I live in has a lot of ex players and you see them all the time at car wash and grocery store or pumping gas, these guys are paying for those hits (delivered and received) for life.

I wouldnt want to be saddled with that life for career choices I made before 18 as most of these guys have for such a short career and small payoff for the time commitment.  

24 minutes ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

They don't get rookie pay they still get the vet minimum but only the rookie wage amount counts against the cap. But even if they are being offered  crap pay to put it all on the line there is this awesome word to counteract this. That word is "no". Takes 2 to make a contract if you don't like the compensation don't sign on the line.

You got it.   Also kudoes to you recognizing free will..... no player -has- to play.  Or accept an offer.

Let me add.... signing bonuses -can- be offered to a minimum wage vet?  But the full bonus counts against that teams' cap.

46 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Slow your roll now. They still get paid vet money, it just counts less against the cap. No player is losing money.

48 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

No one is making them settle for a measly 600k or more. Must suck to only make that much, hard times indeed.

25 minutes ago, hjerry said:

The vet min cap relief rule has been in place for years

The guy on the Falcoholic podcast mentioned something about 'implemented last year'.   I don't know....maybe it was changed?

I do know this, this cap relief rule....I had never heard of it before.  And, probably, there's no reason I or others here, should have....I don't work in that are of expertise.

You've always been a good poster, so not surprised you know about it.   Props to you.  🙂

40 minutes ago, direwolf said:

It's not rookie pay for veterans, man. It means that vet min only counts as much as rookie pay AGAINST THE CAP.

Besides, a first year practice squad player in the NFL pulls down $8400/week - over $142,000 for 17 weeks' work. Players with more experience make more on the practice squad. It goes up from there. Meanwhile, for perspective, the median household income in the US is about $68k/year (52 weeks).

While I get the concern over the physical toll it takes, at the end of the day, players today make a choice knowing the risks (as opposed to in the past when the evidence appears that the league DID hide the information from the players). Given that, I don't buy in to the whole argument about "selling their bodies" - they know what they're doing and chose to do so. No one makes them do it.

You raise some good points.

I also answered Retro....I said some of the things you did, but it took me more words to say them........  🙄

You need to post more often, Dire!

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

No one is making them settle for a measly 600k or more. Must suck to only make that much, hard times indeed.

so for 2021, the vet minimumm for a 3 year player is like 825000, so its good money for a year of work... the hard times are there though, trust me on that.

I get it, they are performers in their chosen profession.  Its just that this profession does more damage the more you play, every play adds to the toll... somehow, seems pay should increase as you play.

But like my man ego said above, its a darwinian game... few are selected. 

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

TE Luke Stocker made 2 million in 2019.   He only made 700k last season.

I'm sure Locker has a Paypal account.   Bet he would accept donations to make up for the salary decrease....

Rise up Falcons fans?  Go Falcons.........?

16 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

The guy on the Falcoholic podcast mentioned something about 'implemented last year'.   I don't know....maybe it was changed?

I do know this, this cap relief rule....I had never heard of it before.  And, probably, there's no reason I or others here, should have....I don't work in that are of expertise.

You've always been a good poster, so not surprised you know about it.   Props to you.  🙂

I know about it via Prof. He's mentioned on here before

44 minutes ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

IKR, I turned 50 this year and if they offered me a guaranteed vet min I would go out there and let Deion Jones and the rest of the D use me as a human tackling dummy. Even after subtracting the money to have my spleen removed I would still be making bank. 😛 

One thing most do not consider is that your spleen being removed is free as a football player so make sure you get it before you decide to hang up your cleats! Now since you didn't play 3 years, you do not get the pension plan of 30k to 46k a year but you still have access to many retiree services provided by the CBA. (plus, do we even really need a spleen?)

10 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

so for 2021, the vet minimumm for a 3 year player is like 825000, so its good money for a year of work... the hard times are there though, trust me on that.

I get it, they are performers in their chosen profession.  Its just that this profession does more damage the more you play, every play adds to the toll... somehow, seems pay should increase as you play.

But like my man ego said above, its a darwinian game... few are selected. 

NFL vets' pay does go up depending on how many years they play, so there is that.

You know......college players have to keep thier grades up in order to play college ball.   Generally they have to be smart.

Thing is... if a college player -is- that smart....would he be risking his body playing college, and then pro, football?

Life is full of contradictions........