The Draft Network - Reid's NFL Mock Draft 5.2

50 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

It's certainly possible. I miss on plenty of QB's, but usually the one at the bottom of my list is a safe bet. 

Happy to be wrong though, especially if we draft him. What do you like about him so much?

well I know what I am about to say will probably make you believe I cannot be objective - but I believe I am objective.

I have watched Justin Fields since his junior year in high school.   I had two kids in high school at Harrison High in Kennesaw while Justin was there.   I have seen him play in more than just Ohio State's system.   Watching him play in a high school game was like no other experience I have ever had - was like watching a college game - there wasn't much D1  talent around him in high school but he made everyone better.

He was then - and was at Ohio State a very accurate passer.   I was at his announcement day at Harrison when he announced he committed to my alma mater at UGA - was a great day.   While I didn't necessarily expect him to start out of the gate in Athens, I knew he could and should play a role his Freshman season but I believe Kirby was probably not wanting to deal w/ any potential QB controversy so he relegated Justin to mop-up duty and basically brought him in the game to hand the ball off and run out the clock.   I was at the UMASS / UGA game when Justin finally got to play meaningful 2.5 quarters and he was dropping 50 yard dimes for TDs - yeah it was UMASS but when you drop it in the bucket from 50yds, it doesn't matter.   

Justin is a career almost 70% completion percentage passer with 67 TDs against only 9 INTs.    I don't care what kind of system OSU ran, those are good stats - he takes care of the ball.    Some say Ohio State cannot develop QBs, the system is simple and look at all the other failed Ohio State QBs that didn't make it in the NFL - I don't dispute many of those criticisms.   What I will point out is that Justin's ability, skills and tools dwarf those other "college QBs" at Ohio State - Dwayne Haskins, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, etc - those guys aren't in Justin's class - they just aren't.    Justin has ELITE skills as both a passer and as a dual threat QB.  He is a bigger/stronger DeShaun Watson - that is what I believe his upside is at the NFL level.

I get that many will say, "you are just a fanboy because of the link you have to the hometown player" and it wouldn't be the first time I have heard those criticisms and expect to hear them again.   I do feel like I know the talent a little more than most because of how long I have been watching him - also believe he will adapt to a pro system and will flourish at NFL level.   This isn't a dumb kid - he did well academically at Harrison and he was raised by his ex-military/policeman father (who was school resource officer at Harrison whom my kids loved) and stepmother who is accomplished attorney and two very good athletic sisters (one plays on softball scholarship at UGA and the other is a rising basketball star at high school level).

Justin's a beast - he could have been a 1st round draft pick in MLB.   He's just scratching the surface of what he will ultimately be as an NFL QB

pics:    Justin with my son Jackson in 2017,   a week before he committed to UGA

0HQkhral.jpg

Justin at Harrison HS about 5 minutes after he just announced at school pep rally that he was choosing UGA 

ATxjFZI.jpg

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:
I could see the top 4 playing out just like this.    Regardless of whether the Falcons ultimately go QB or not, I see Lawrence, Wilson and Fields all gone by pick#4 - maybe by Pick#3.     Justin Fields probably has the highest upside of all three of these guys - maybe the most risk as well - the talent is there, he just needs to continue to mature and continue to get better at going through his progressions.    Justin and Lawrence both can really spin it -  Lawrence and Wilson are a little more advanced in reading the entire field.

If Justin - hometown kid (lives 3 miles from my house) falls to #4 - I wouldn't bet on the Falcons passing on him - Fontenot and Arthur know they are in it for the long-haul and this is an elite QB class.

Jacksonville_Jaguars_logo.svg.png
Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence

QB, Clemson

With Urban Meyer as the new man in charge of the Jaguars, there may be some attempting to connect the dots to Ohio State. But that likely won’t be the case, as the team takes the best overall player in the draft in Lawrence.

jets.png
Jets

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

Asked about it repeatedly since taking over in the Big Apple, new head coach Robert Saleh has been non-committal to QB Sam Darnold. Likely to be traded elsewhere, Wilson fills in as the new man under center. A natural at the position, Wilson is the exciting type of player that gives Joe Douglas a face of the rebuild that remains in progress for the Jets.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Ja'Marr Chase

WR, LSU

After showing some dents in his armor during the backstretch of the season, it’s clear that QB Tua Tagovailoa didn’t have much to work with on the perimeter. Tagovailoa is a quarterback that needs a strong supporting cast and Chase is the ideal type of player to insert into the lineup as Miami attempts to retool the arsenal of weapons around the 2020 No. 5 overall pick.

Atlanta_Falcons_logo.svg.png
Falcons

Justin Fields

QB, Ohio State

With dead cap hits of $49.3 and $26.5 over the next two seasons, moving on from Matt Ryan may be unlikely. Whenever a team welcomes a brand new regime and has a top-five pick in the middle of a strong QB class, there are some opportunities that they can’t pass up. Ryan is far from the problem in Atlanta, but the positives of selecting Justin Fields and having him under a controlled cost for possibly the next five seasons while preparing him to be the heir apparent to Ryan makes too much sense.

Simple Logic: Fix the defense, fix the running game and make sure you have a good OL. Matt Ryan can win you games with a good running game and playcalling. You don’t need a QB for the next 2-3 years because Ryan is going to still be better than majority of QB- he is dedicated and he takes care of his body. 

Even with an average Matt Ryan play, we can win a SuperBowl. Fix the ******** defense, the Running game and add stabilize the OL. You do this, we can win the big game. 

13 hours ago, papachaz said:

has a few years of growing to do doesn't he? but yeah, those two I just pulled off the top of my head are the ONLY possible future qb's. I guess the league is dead in about 10 years with no more possible quality NFL qb's EVER coming out again

;)

From 2008 - 2015 there were not many franchise QBs drafted ... Matt Ryan ,Stafford , Flacco ? Russell Wilson in between is a lot of Jake Locker Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles ... if you think the guy is franchise QB you take him you can’t just “wait till next year”

17 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

From 2008 - 2015 there were not many franchise QBs drafted ... Matt Ryan ,Stafford , Flacco ? Russell Wilson in between is a lot of Jake Locker Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles ... if you think the guy is franchise QB you take him you can’t just “wait till next year”

:lol:

you're going to be sooo disappointed on first day of the draft

I mean go ahead and leave out guys like Andrew Luck, Sam Bradford, Bridgewater,  RGIII Mariota...careers shortened by injury that were still drafted to be franchise QB's, or found themselves playing on a team that had a revolving door at HC.... heck even Cam got a couple of contracts at Carolina before their coaching change. He was there what, 9 or 10 years? what's a 'franchise quarterback'?

there are good solid quarterbacks in every draft, the ones I named are all just the guys drafted in the first round, NOW start throwing in names of guys who went later, Russell Wilson

maybe we should just list the SB winners who weren't first rounders? Brees, Brady, Young, Wilson, Warner, Montana, Staubach......

17 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

Lawrence has the highest ceiling and that's why he's #1.. Even Wilson has a higher ceiling than Fields.

Not true. Lawrence has the highest floor which makes him the number 1 prospect. Fields has the highest upside but the lowest floor which makes him the definition of a boom or bust prospect. Take your QB, groom him. If the Falcons wait until next year or the year after that to pick a QB in the top 5, this regime has been a failure and we'll be looking for another coach then.

No offense gdawg but your homerism is revealing itself pretty hard right now. Blank and McKay want a winner now. Yes I get that Fontenot and Smith are here for a while but call me new school, you don't select a player in the first round, especially in the top five, and have sit for potentially two years. Now, if we hired someone like Brady or Eric B., I'd be leaning towards drafting Fields or whoever. Smith's system (something Ryan can pick up day 1) and the hiring of senior citizen Pees (to turn the defense around quickly)  means we're trying to win pretty quick and Matt Ryan gives us the best chance to do that, not a rookie, college QB.

18 hours ago, papachaz said:

I will instantly lose confidence in this staff if we take any one at #4 that isn't supposed to be a day one starter that will have a definite impact. That's just not happening with any of these qb's at 4, and I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor.  we have too many holes on this roster to use that high of a pick on someone who will sit a year or maybe even two, because there very well may be another qb next year or the year after that absolutely blows all those from the last 10 years away

I'm with you. Round 1 players (especially top 5 picks) need to be make an impact on day 1. One of the whole points of hiring Smith was his west coast system that Ryan thrives in. What if Ryan starts playing his best ball the next few years and you drafted Fields? Are you really gonna go with an inexperienced dude, over somebody proven? That just doesn't happen often unless it's an injury situation.

The problem is this is a crazy strong draft for QBs. Similar to the 2010 draft for TEs.

And a weak one for defense in the top 10.

In fact in other draft years the top 4 QBs could have gone number 1.

I’m sure we will try to trade back but if we can’t, don’t be surprised if we take Lance or Fields. 

And if we can, don’t be surprised if we still take a QB at some point and part ways with Schaub.

38 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

The problem is this is a crazy strong draft for QBs. Similar to the 2010 draft for TEs.

And a weak one for defense in the top 10.

In fact in other draft years the top 4 QBs could have gone number 1.

I’m sure we will try to trade back but if we can’t, don’t be surprised if we take Lance or Fields. 

And if we can, don’t be surprised if we still take a QB at some point and part ways with Schaub.

That’s what I don’t see (the crazy strong QB class).

Looking at last year be this year...

Lawrence maybe goes 1 over Burrow...but that’s a maybe as Burrow was so good his sr season. After that I don’t see any of the remaining QBs going before Herbert & Tua. Lance and Love are a tossup as well, Lance may have better tools.

If they were all in the same class, I would rank the prospects over the last 2 years at: Lawrence, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Love, Jones, Hurts.

side note, Schaub is gone...he retired.

4 hours ago, The Don™ said:

No offense gdawg but your homerism is revealing itself pretty hard right now. Blank and McKay want a winner now. Yes I get that Fontenot and Smith are here for a while but call me new school, you don't select a player in the first round, especially in the top five, and have sit for potentially two years. Now, if we hired someone like Brady or Eric B., I'd be leaning towards drafting Fields or whoever. Smith's system (something Ryan can pick up day 1) and the hiring of senior citizen Pees (to turn the defense around quickly)  means we're trying to win pretty quick and Matt Ryan gives us the best chance to do that, not a rookie, college QB.

Homerism? Maybe

or Maybe, just maybe I know the player’s abilities much better than all of you ;)

4 hours ago, The Don™ said:

I'm with you. Round 1 players (especially top 5 picks) need to be make an impact on day 1. One of the whole points of hiring Smith was his west coast system that Ryan thrives in. What if Ryan starts playing his best ball the next few years and you drafted Fields? Are you really gonna go with an inexperienced dude, over somebody proven? That just doesn't happen often unless it's an injury situation.

See Green Bay, drafting a QB there too soon created unnecessary drama...and possibly cost them a SB appearance.

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

See Green Bay, drafting a QB there do soon created unnecessary drama...and possibly cost them a SB appearance.

No it didn’t.  Rogers was PMSing.  

That had been building moreso as the previous two years before that draft Pack didn’t draft offensive weapons either.  

15yrs earlier Packers did the EXACT same thing when they grabbed Aaron Rogers while they still had a few years of very good play from Brett Favre.

Oh yeah, Favre didn’t like it when Pack drafted his successor either.  Nobody likes that.

How soon you forget, Vandy?

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No it didn’t.  Rogers was PMSing.  

That had been building moreso as the previous two years before that draft Pack didn’t draft offensive weapons either.  

15yrs earlier Packers did the EXACT same thing when they grabbed Aaron Rogers while they still had a few years of very good play from Brett Favre.

How soon you forget, Vandy?

I haven’t forgotten anything, but my brother obviously has. Farve was pulling his antics with packers for years, while Rodgers was settled in and just had an mvp year. 

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Stupidest draft thingy I’ve seen in awhile was GB drafting love, and it may have cost them a SB. 

55 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I haven’t forgotten anything, but my brother obviously has. Farve was pulling his antics with packers for years, while Rodgers was settled in and just had an mvp year. 

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Stupidest draft thingy I’ve seen in awhile was GB drafting love, and it may have cost them a SB. 

That didn’t cost them a SuperBowl.  Not close.   Aaron Rogers had his best year in the last 3-4 yrs when many thought he was in a mild decline.   Rogers seemed to raise his level of play with that draft pick.  Probably helped the Pack more than it hurt them.   Pack was #1 seed.   Hmmmm......

Packers lost that game more based on that stupid defensive playcall by the Defensive coordinator with 8 seconds to play to half and he had the corner in 1-1 coverage and got beat over the top - dumb, dumb, dumb defensive play call.

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That didn’t cost them a SuperBowl.  Not close.   Aaron Rogers had his best year in the last 3-4 yrs when many thought he was in a mild decline.   Rogers seemed to raise his level of play with that draft pick.  Probably helped the Pack more than it hurt them.   Pack was #1 seed.   Hmmmm......

Packers lost that game more based on that stupid defensive playcall by the Defensive coordinator with 8 seconds to play to half and he had the corner in 1-1 coverage and got beat over the top - dumb, dumb, dumb defensive play call.

I personally don’t think Love had much of anything to do w/ Rodgers play this year. 1, Rodgers is an ego maniac and I doubt he spent even a second feeling threatened by Love. 2, Love hasn’t done anything to give AR a reason to worry...he has been abysmal according to all I have read. That’s why he is still QB3 behind Tim Boyle. It wouldn’t have hurt GB to have Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman with that 26th pick...or even Jeff Gladney.

More likely it was AR settling into the offense in year 2 that led to an improvement. (IMO) Guys like Rodgers and even Ryan hold themselves to a very high standard and don’t get complacent. They self motivate. Same reason I don’t feel a rookie QB will make Ryan better. Ryan’s play will be what it is either way. Could you imagine this place if we took a QB in round one and he couldn’t beat out Benkert?!?

39 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So....You don’t think using that pick to draft a WR Tee higgins/Michael Pittman or on an defensive playmaker Antoine Winfield or in the box defensive player Patrick Queen/ Kyle Duggar/Jeremy Chinn versus Love holding a clipboard wouldn’t have made a difference in that close game? 

hmmmmm.... 

And LOL in thinking pack drafting a QB had anything to do with Rodgers mvp season. There’s this known fact that QBs vastly improve in year 2 in any new scheme (assuming of course, it’s the right scheme in 1st place..  see Ryan in year 2 of shanny).

Rogers proved he wasn’t in decline anymore than Ryan is. And you guys don’t grasp just what a poor scheme Ryan’s had to endure the past two years. 

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So....You don’t think using that pick to draft a WR Tee higgins/Michael Pittman or on an defensive playmaker Antoine Winfield or in the box defensive player Patrick Queen/ Kyle Duggar/Jeremy Chinn versus Love holding a clipboard wouldn’t have made a difference in that close game? 

hmmmmm.... 

And LOL in thinking pack drafting a QB had anything to do with Rodgers mvp season. There’s this known fact that QBs vastly improve in year 2 in any new scheme.

Rogers proved he wasn’t in decline anymore than Ryan is. You guys don’t grasp just what a poor scheme Ryan’s had to endure the past two years. 

No, that game was lost mostly with coaching.  The season was great, the team had a great year and drafting Jordan Love had no impact on that game.

You are looking for ghosts that weren’t there to try and win an internet discussion.  This is equivalent to “playing radio” - where radio hosts bring up topics to stir the pudding.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No, that game was lost mostly with coaching.  The season was great, the team had a great year and drafting Jordan Love had no impact on that game.

You are looking for ghosts that weren’t there to try and win an internet discussion.  This is equivalent to “playing radio” - where radio hosts bring up topics to stir the pudding.

LOL...

Just as in every game, there’s questionable coaching decisions that go on with both sides. But also like in every game, bottom line is game was lost because they got out scored. Putting better players on the field (versus drafting backups holding a clipboard) decreases the likelihood of that happening.

There’s no ghost, it’s just common sense. Something you’re obviously not utilizing in this discussion.

15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

hmmmmm.... 

And LOL in thinking pack drafting a QB had anything to do with Rodgers mvp season. There’s this known fact that QBs vastly improve in year 2 in any new scheme (assuming of course, it’s the right scheme in 1st place..  see Ryan in year 2 of shanny).

Rogers proved he wasn’t in decline anymore than Ryan is. And you guys don’t grasp just what a poor scheme Ryan’s had to endure the past two years. 

Yep. Ryan was MVP in the second year of same system in 2016. Rodgers did the same in 2020. If anything, AR is asking new contract, it’s going to be very interesting in GB. Love is BPA to sniff jocks on side line.