The Draft Network - Reid's NFL Mock Draft 5.2

50 minutes ago, papachaz said:

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Jeff Burrow one year wonder type season.

I will instantly lose confidence in this staff if we take any one at #4 that isn't supposed to be a day one starter that will have a definite impact. That's just not happening with any of these qb's at 4, and I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor.  we have too many holes on this roster to use that high of a pick on someone who will sit a year or maybe even two, because there very well may be another qb next year or the year after that absolutely blows all those from the last 10 years away

there are guys in this class that will be available later in the draft that will be very good NFL qbs

EDIT TO SAY:  Not sure Ritter will be in next years draft, thinking he may very well just be a sophomore this coming season. could look it up I guess if I was so inclined, LOL

I'm not

Heck I don’t want the next Jeff Burrow I want the next Joe Burrow lol. But I understand your point. However count me out on Daniels and Ritter. Pass

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Joe Burrow one year wonder type season.   I will instantl

It was Jeff Burroughs, and dude could hit!  

I could see the top 4 playing out just like this.    Regardless of whether the Falcons ultimately go QB or not, I see Lawrence, Wilson and Fields all gone by pick#4 - maybe by Pick#3.     Justin Field

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, papachaz said:

this is my point exactly. He didn't thrive in their system the first year there either, it wasn't until Brady was hired in and brought a lot of the saints system to them, He thrived in that....

so by most everyone's 'gotta take fields/wilson/lance' logic here, knowing brees was a few years from done, NO should have done what ever they needed to trade up and draft him....glad they didn't and hopefully they suck at qb if Brees retires this year, for a long long time.

but who can tell if next years version of Burrow or Lawrence is out there, until he actually shows up, no one.

They are different prospects with different backgrounds.  Joe Burrow was a 3 star recruit and would always need more time to develop. He was similar to Matt Ryan coming out of college late at 23. Justin Fields and Lawrence were 5 star recruits so there skill sets were more visible at a younger age they leaving school at 21.  

The coaching staff and GM have the resources to find their guy.  My point is if they think there QB of the future is there at #4 take them it's the most important position when building for the future. If they don't think that player is there at #4 they should pick another position. 

Edited by insight
1 hour ago, insight said:

Why, the Falcons have 9 picks, and there is free agency.

Joe Burrow was not successful at Ohio State, became a Heisman winner when he transferred to LSU and thrived in their system.
Justin Fields, was only able to run a few wild cat plays at UGA, become became an instant star at Ohio State. 

The coaching staff and GM should be focused on finding players that fits their scheme, culture and identify.   There is more to the draft the finding a talented player especially when your talking about the QB position. 

Boom.  Scheme matters.  Ideology matters.

1 hour ago, Forged in Fire said:

If we do take Sewell at 4 then it shouldn’t be too hard to move Matthews over to LG. His father Bruce is a Hall of Fame offensive line man that played every single spot on the line except center I think.

Be willing to bet Jake has got the versatility gene to make it work.

If anyone can its him.  What I like about a Sewell or Slater is they are dominant lineman that would give our very young line flexibility.  

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Joe Burrow one year wonder type season.

I will instantly lose confidence in this staff if we take any one at #4 that isn't supposed to be a day one starter that will have a definite impact. That's just not happening with any of these qb's at 4, and I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor.  we have too many holes on this roster to use that high of a pick on someone who will sit a year or maybe even two, because there very well may be another qb next year or the year after that absolutely blows all those from the last 10 years away

there are guys in this class that will be available later in the draft that will be very good NFL qbs

EDIT TO SAY:  Not sure Ritter will be in next years draft, thinking he may very well just be a sophomore this coming season. could look it up I guess if I was so inclined, LOL

I'm not

Howell out of nc will be one to watch

1 hour ago, insight said:

They are different prospects with different backgrounds.  Joe Burrow was a 3 star recruit and would always need more time to develop. He was similar to Matt Ryan coming out of college late at 23. Justin Fields and Lawrence were 5 star recruits so there skill sets were more visible at a younger age they leaving school at 21.  

The coaching staff and GM have the resources to find their guy.  My point is if they think there QB of the future is there at #4 take them it's the most important position when building for the future. If they don't think that player is there at #4 they should pick another position. 

I see what you mean, BUT....always one of those there isn't there?  LOL but, a new GM, with a new coach who only has a 3 year contract (to start with)....are they going to take a guy with their very first pick that's NOT an impact starting player, that's NOT a position of obvious need?

there are potential 'QB of the future' scattered through this draft, and will be in the next few drafts as well. 

remembering that both AS and TF talked about having short term and long term plans, I can't see either one of them thinking any plan starts with using the #4 pick on a guy who's toting a clipboard his first year and probably his second

UNLESS, however, they have a plan to not cripple the team any worse than it already is, to move on from Matt

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

Gotta be honest; In a class of QB's I'm not enthused about, Fields is probably my least favourite of them all. I just don't see it. 

The reason why I like Fields ,, Is because we could stick him in for a play or two and he could run and get that must few yards for a First when the game is on the line. He's half QB and half RB ,, He could be a real weapon.

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Houston would seem a logical landing spot for Fields in that scenario.  Interesting stuff afoot my friend. 

I actually believe the best QB comp for Fields is Watson.   He is bigger than Watson but not as big as Cam - I have seen a lot of people try and comp Fields to Cam but Fields is much more accurate than Cam and also isn't a whack job like Cam.    Watson a little more polished coming out of college as he had more games under his belt.

Just now, g-dawg said:

study him more then.   Fields is phenomenal QB prospect.

I've watched a lot of games. He has a nice touch pass and I know he can run which a lot of people on this board overvalue. Otherwise he has poor awareness in the pocket, doesn't see blitzes coming presnap (this combo is especially bad), and doesn't get through his reads very fast either. I also don't see the zip on his passes like I do Wilson, for instance, it's all touch.  I just don't see it. I'd take TLaw, Wilson, Lance, and Jones all before Fields. 

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

I've watched a lot of games. He has a nice touch pass and I know he can run which a lot of people on this board overvalue. Otherwise he has poor awareness in the pocket, doesn't see blitzes coming presnap (this combo is especially bad), and doesn't get through his reads very fast either. I also don't see the zip on his passes like I do Wilson, for instance, it's all touch.  I just don't see it. I'd take TLaw, Wilson, Lance, and Jones all before Fields. 

ok.   I think you will change your mind at a later date after Fields has been in league a few years.  For now, we will agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

ok.   I think you will change your mind at a later date after Fields has been in league a few years.  For now, we will agree to disagree.

It's certainly possible. I miss on plenty of QB's, but usually the one at the bottom of my list is a safe bet. 

Happy to be wrong though, especially if we draft him. What do you like about him so much?

7 hours ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

I often think about Justin coming back home. Theres both that bright feel good story and also that potential dark side of having a lot of distractions from already having been well connected to this city that creeps up in my head.

Atlanta is just different. He’d be an instant celebrity on a different magnitude than everyone other than Lawrence. It’s just that discipline it would take. Not very many kids have experienced that.

I’m sure you’ve heard nothing but good with Fields and it’s not surprising at all he’s really an upstanding kid. Very talented. It’s just hanging around at UGA right around the time he was recruited(before he transferred), I’ve heard both good and not so good. However valid it may be who knows who cares. I just wish him the best if the falcons do align with his future. 

We should bring Cade Mays home in the later rounds