The Draft Network - Reid's NFL Mock Draft 5.2

I could see the top 4 playing out just like this.    Regardless of whether the Falcons ultimately go QB or not, I see Lawrence, Wilson and Fields all gone by pick#4 - maybe by Pick#3.     Justin Fields probably has the highest upside of all three of these guys - maybe the most risk as well - the talent is there, he just needs to continue to mature and continue to get better at going through his progressions.    Justin and Lawrence both can really spin it -  Lawrence and Wilson are a little more advanced in reading the entire field.

If Justin - hometown kid (lives 3 miles from my house) falls to #4 - I wouldn't bet on the Falcons passing on him - Fontenot and Arthur know they are in it for the long-haul and this is an elite QB class.

Jacksonville_Jaguars_logo.svg.png
Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence

QB, Clemson

With Urban Meyer as the new man in charge of the Jaguars, there may be some attempting to connect the dots to Ohio State. But that likely won’t be the case, as the team takes the best overall player in the draft in Lawrence.

jets.png
Jets

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

Asked about it repeatedly since taking over in the Big Apple, new head coach Robert Saleh has been non-committal to QB Sam Darnold. Likely to be traded elsewhere, Wilson fills in as the new man under center. A natural at the position, Wilson is the exciting type of player that gives Joe Douglas a face of the rebuild that remains in progress for the Jets.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Ja'Marr Chase

WR, LSU

After showing some dents in his armor during the backstretch of the season, it’s clear that QB Tua Tagovailoa didn’t have much to work with on the perimeter. Tagovailoa is a quarterback that needs a strong supporting cast and Chase is the ideal type of player to insert into the lineup as Miami attempts to retool the arsenal of weapons around the 2020 No. 5 overall pick.

Atlanta_Falcons_logo.svg.png
Falcons

Justin Fields

QB, Ohio State

With dead cap hits of $49.3 and $26.5 over the next two seasons, moving on from Matt Ryan may be unlikely. Whenever a team welcomes a brand new regime and has a top-five pick in the middle of a strong QB class, there are some opportunities that they can’t pass up. Ryan is far from the problem in Atlanta, but the positives of selecting Justin Fields and having him under a controlled cost for possibly the next five seasons while preparing him to be the heir apparent to Ryan makes too much sense.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Joe Burrow one year wonder type season.   I will instantl

It was Jeff Burroughs, and dude could hit!  

I could see the top 4 playing out just like this.    Regardless of whether the Falcons ultimately go QB or not, I see Lawrence, Wilson and Fields all gone by pick#4 - maybe by Pick#3.     Justin Field

Posted Images

I think the question is how much of a risk is it to pass on a QB this year? What are the next 2 QB classes looking like? Are any of the QB's outside the top 4 worth picking up later? 

I would rather see more of the holes on the team filled this year but I don't know how the next 2 years worth of QB's promises

59 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I think the question is how much of a risk is it to pass on a QB this year? What are the next 2 QB classes looking like? Are any of the QB's outside the top 4 worth picking up later? 

I would rather see more of the holes on the team filled this year but I don't know how the next 2 years worth of QB's promises

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Joe Burrow one year wonder type season.

I will instantly lose confidence in this staff if we take any one at #4 that isn't supposed to be a day one starter that will have a definite impact. That's just not happening with any of these qb's at 4, and I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor.  we have too many holes on this roster to use that high of a pick on someone who will sit a year or maybe even two, because there very well may be another qb next year or the year after that absolutely blows all those from the last 10 years away

there are guys in this class that will be available later in the draft that will be very good NFL qbs

EDIT TO SAY:  Not sure Ritter will be in next years draft, thinking he may very well just be a sophomore this coming season. could look it up I guess if I was so inclined, LOL

I'm not

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Jeff Burrow one year wonder type season.

I will instantly lose confidence in this staff if we take any one at #4 that isn't supposed to be a day one starter that will have a definite impact. That's just not happening with any of these qb's at 4, and I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor.  we have too many holes on this roster to use that high of a pick on someone who will sit a year or maybe even two, because there very well may be another qb next year or the year after that absolutely blows all those from the last 10 years away

I was not impressed w/ Ritter watching the Peach Bowl and UGA.   He's a college QB - didn't see the arm talent to be an NFL QB at the next level.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I was not impressed w/ Ritter watching the Peach Bowl and UGA.   He's a college QB - didn't see the arm talent to be an NFL QB at the next level.

has a few years of growing to do doesn't he? but yeah, those two I just pulled off the top of my head are the ONLY possible future qb's. I guess the league is dead in about 10 years with no more possible quality NFL qb's EVER coming out again

;)

14 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Too early to say.  Who was Mac Jones this time last year?  Joe Burrow before his last year?  A lot of times there is a QB that comes out of no where every year at the top of the draft class.  I’ve heard it’s a weaker class, but for all we know 1-2 could pop up out of no where that was sitting behind someone else or transferred.

6 minutes ago, papachaz said:

has a few years of growing to do doesn't he? but yeah, those two I just pulled off the top of my head are the ONLY possible future qb's. I guess the league is dead in about 10 years with no more possible quality NFL qb's EVER coming out again

;)

LOL.  no worries Papachaz - Happy Friday.

I often think about Justin coming back home. Theres both that bright feel good story and also that potential dark side of having a lot of distractions from already having been well connected to this city that creeps up in my head.

Atlanta is just different. He’d be an instant celebrity on a different magnitude than everyone other than Lawrence. It’s just that discipline it would take. Not very many kids have experienced that.

I’m sure you’ve heard nothing but good with Fields and it’s not surprising at all he’s really an upstanding kid. Very talented. It’s just hanging around at UGA right around the time he was recruited(before he transferred), I’ve heard both good and not so good. However valid it may be who knows who cares. I just wish him the best if the falcons do align with his future. 

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Didn't they take him last year?  Tume is just blending together lately.  Seems early to give up on him.  

I believe that #2 slot will be a QB whether NYJ keep the pick or trade it.   So if the Jets don't take a QB there - someone likely will in a trade.   Lots of smoke regarding Jets trading w/ Houston for DeShaun Watson - seems like a good fit - the only question then would be would Houston select Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.   Obviously other teams could trade up there and it wouldn't have to be the Texans - although that trade just makes a lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

No, he has 3 years in the league.. more TDs than ints... what weapons did he have? Perine, Perriman, Crowder when healthy? Good grief

Hmm.  Bro, the years are just blending together.  Sounds to me that Darnold may not be there long then.  I know nothing about him.

30 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Could always trade down and take Mac Jones in the later rounds, or Trey Lance if his stock falls. The team needs as much talent as it can get its hands on.

1 hour ago, Flyin' In DC said:

We won't be picking this high again under AS, I would think, so getting a top QB in a future year would require a truckload of draft capital.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Absolutely conceivable bro.  My only reservation is the Jets taking a QB.  Is Darnold beyond salvaging?

Really hard to tell how much is Darnold vs. the long-tenured incompetence of that franchise. Don't envy Saleh's position with figuring that out. That's a tough call because they have a shot at an elite QB prospect but they also have a 1st rd QB that they haven't had any opportunity to evaluate. So either they take a QB and who knows which is better, or they don't and end up potentially finding out Darnold is hot garbage.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I believe that #2 slot will be a QB whether NYJ keep the pick or trade it.   So if the Jets don't take a QB there - someone likely will in a trade.   Lots of smoke regarding Jets trading w/ Houston for DeShaun Watson - seems like a good fit - the only question then would be would Houston select Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.   Obviously other teams could trade up there and it wouldn't have to be the Texans - although that trade just makes a lot of sense.

Houston would seem a logical landing spot for Fields in that scenario.  Interesting stuff afoot my friend. 

1 minute ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

We won't be picking this high again under AS, I would think, so getting a top QB in a future year would require a truckload of draft capital.

Really hard to tell how much is Darnold vs. the long-tenured incompetence of that franchise. Don't envy Saleh's position with figuring that out. That's a tough call because they have a shot at an elite QB prospect but they also have a 1st rd QB that they haven't had any opportunity to *****. So either they take a QB and who knows which is better, or they don't and end up potentially finding out Darnold is hot garbage.

Saleh is in full ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't mode.

13 minutes ago, papachaz said:

personally I think there are some good potential qb's in next years draft. Ritter, Daniels....who can tell if there will be the next Jeff Burrow one year wonder type season.

there are guys in this class that will be available later in the draft that will be very good NFL qbs

Why, the Falcons have 9 picks, and there is free agency.

Joe Burrow was not successful at Ohio State, became a Heisman winner when he transferred to LSU and thrived in their system.
Justin Fields, was only able to run a few wild cat plays at UGA, become became an instant star at Ohio State. 

The coaching staff and GM should be focused on finding players that fits their scheme, culture and identify.   There is more to the draft the finding a talented player especially when your talking about the QB position. 

39 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

There will be great QB drafted out side top 5 in years to come. Every year the mockers pretend there won’t be any one as good as player X in the future. It’s like kid in toy store, I will do anything to get the new toy. A year later it’s forgotten.

10 minutes ago, insight said:

Why, the Falcons have 9 picks, and there is free agency.

Joe Burrow was not successful at Ohio State, became a Heisman winner when he transferred to LSU and thrived in their system.
Justin Fields, was only able to run a few wild cat plays at UGA, become became an instant star at Ohio State. 

The coaching staff and GM should be focused on finding players that fits their scheme, culture and identify.   There is more to the draft the finding a talented player especially when your talking about the QB position. 

this is my point exactly. He didn't thrive in their system the first year there either, it wasn't until Brady was hired in and brought a lot of the saints system to them, He thrived in that....

so by most everyone's 'gotta take fields/wilson/lance' logic here, knowing brees was a few years from done, NO should have done what ever they needed to trade up and draft him....glad they didn't and hopefully they suck at qb if Brees retires this year, for a long long time.

but who can tell if next years version of Burrow or Lawrence is out there, until he actually shows up, no one.