Ex Falcon Patrick Di Marco retiring

1 hour ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

Yep I also thought that was a big mistake letting him walk at the time..nothing but love and respect for DiMarco.he was one of the good ones on and off the field salute

12 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Good luck PD!  We could use a good fullback again.  Nothing against Smith but he’s just not all that great.  

Having a fullback doesn't matter if the OC doesn't scheme to really use them as part of the offense. People talking about the Falcons letting him go because they were being cheap. DiMarco's last year in Atlanta was also Shannahan's last year. I think the decision was made that Sark didn't know how to incorporate a FB and wouldn't really use one so any bum would do, so we signed a bum.

It's really kind of funny to me. The NFL has abandoned the FB position for the most part but if you look back at NFL history a good fullback can be devastating to an opposing defense. 

Everyone here talking about how good Dimarco was, he had 52 receptions, and 7 rushing attempts in his career. He was a glorified speed bump that brought no threat of production.

Tom Rathman averaged 68 rushing attempts and 40 receptions a year for 8 years.

Mike Alstott averaged 123 rushing attempts and 27 receptions a year for 11 years. 

William Andrews was drafted as a FB and is listed as a FB for the first 4 years of his career. (depending on where you get your stats)

You need a coach that is committed to developing and then actually deploying a FB.

3 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Having a fullback doesn't matter if the OC doesn't scheme to really use them as part of the offense. People talking about the Falcons letting him go because they were being cheap. DiMarco's last year in Atlanta was also Shannahan's last year. I think the decision was made that Sark didn't know how to incorporate a FB and wouldn't really use one so any bum would do, so we signed a bum.

It's really kind of funny to me. The NFL has abandoned the FB position for the most part but if you look back at NFL history a good fullback can be devastating to an opposing defense. 

Everyone here talking about how good Dimarco was, he had 52 receptions, and 7 rushing attempts in his career. He was a glorified speed bump that brought no threat of production.

Tom Rathman averaged 68 rushing attempts and 40 receptions a year for 8 years.

Mike Alstott averaged 123 rushing attempts and 27 receptions a year for 11 years. 

William Andrews was drafted as a FB and is listed as a FB for the first 4 years of his career. (depending on where you get your stats)

You need a coach that is committed to developing and then actually deploying a FB.

No doubt Dimarco wasn’t used like the old school FBs but he was a **** of a lead blocker and I recall Smith whiffing on some blocks this year. I’d love to see a big athletic guy brought in who could be a bigger threat to catch some passes as well as a better blocker than Smith.  

On that note I’ve always wondered why your 3rd TE couldn’t be cross trained as a FB. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen it done and it makes sense since the 3rd TE is typically a blocking TE.   

23 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

He was a security blanket for Ryan and should have been resigned.

The Falcons were too cheap to pay him and he was fully correct to go elsewhere for a good payout.

For how much he got i was like tf wr couldn't have paid him that?? But we will go pay garage Jamon brown and James carpenter obscene money.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Good luck PD!  We could use a good fullback again.  Nothing against Smith but he’s just not all that great.  

Our run game isnt great at all. I wouldnt put it on smith. Give it another year. Look at who called plays.

Pat played with shanahan as the coordinator. 

On 1/29/2021 at 8:37 AM, Drvillain said:

Dan Quinns biggest mistakes:

1. Hiring Dirk Koetter 

2. Using Sark as a scapegoat 

3. Letting Patrick Di Marco go

1. Letting go ML and Mike Daniels if he wanted to run same system in 2017. 
2. Hiring Sark/ DK who had no experience to run a new system.

3. Running historic dumpster defense without right players.

As much I love Dimarco, he would have changed games.