Greatest Running Backs of ALL TIME for the Atlanta Falcons. Who would you pick as the all time best?

The title says it all. I am starting this thread because Beek interviewed William Andrews in a recent interview. 

My opinion is simple, I saw the man play, and regardless of the numbers, I saw this man run over people like they were not nothing in a time when the NFL would allow so many "Fouls" against the offensive RB these days. 

Herschel Walker was a great UGA RB, but William Andrews in my opinion for the Falcons set the standard when it come to running backs in any league. 

William Andrews should be a No SECOND THOUGHT HALL OF FAME PLAYER! In my opinion. 

But the question here is best of all time.

There are a lot of names, and I know a lot of people will mention those that they have seen play. 

I'm probably a lot older than most here. Gerald RIggs was freaking AWESOME! 

Then you have to consider Craig Heyward. Also known as Iron Head Heyward. 

My #1 Pick would be William Andrews, because if you want to talk about a all around running back in all facets of the game, demolishing the defense simply by their own will, speed/power etc.. that was William Andrews in my opinion. FREAKING AWESOME! 

And for the record, as a kid I saw the man play, so I KNOW what I am talking about here! 

Got to mention Warrick Dunn, but he was already an established RB before coming to the Falcons, kind person. But You can't consider him a greatest Falcons RB of all time because, well, he was great before coming here and others done more, not in the same league as William Andrews, William was better! 

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, they were a pair of running backs, and just my opinion they were a product of an offensive scheme and line more so than just being a pure running back like the others I mentioned who adapted and overcome. 

Not knocking them, they were great in what they done, but I do not believe that they are in the class of the others I have mentioned here already. 

Maybe I am biased, But William Andrews and Gerald Riggs and Craig Heyward were the best of all time for the Falcons. 

I am sure I missed someone, I am getting old so sorry if I did, no offense meant by doing so. 

Your thoughts on who is the GREATEST RB of all time for the ATLANTA FALCONS? 

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going with William Andrews. Before his knee injury he was...man.  Watch the one clip of him HITTING Ronnie Lott after a screen pass.  I'd never seen Lott affected by anything.  He was a humble assassin.

My mother worked at Tommy Nobis Center.  I remember Wallace Francis..Steve Bart...and Andrews..his thighs were bigger than me. 

William Andrews.

Michael Turner is definitely up there, may be a victim of being fairly recent. Would be talking about a potential HOF running back with him also if he had left the Chargers much earlier than he did. Was 26 years old when he signed with the Falcons and still managed to have 60 rushing TDs and a little over 6,000 rushing yards.

Best 'Total' RB is William Andrews. People who didn't watch him might not realize how good of a pass catcher he was. We won't even talk about his blocking.

The best 'Runner' might be Turner though. If we are just comparing rushing.

That said I'd watch Jerious Norwood highlights all the time if I could :)

Andrews without a doubt. Sometimes half the opponent's team couldn't bring him down.

Who was the DB that he ran over and the man was laying in his wake having convulsions (knocked out cold)? I was young then, but WA is who made me a Falcon fan.

Oh and Bartkowski and Billy White Shoes and their hail maries. Loved that too.

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Best 'Total' RB is William Andrews. People who didn't watch him might not realize how good of a pass catcher he was. We won't even talk about his blocking.

The best 'Runner' might be Turner though. If we are just comparing rushing.

That said I'd watch Jerious Norwood highlights all the time if I could :)

Good points. I just loved watching WA hit someone. I really wasn't paying attention to the yards he gained. I might have been 7 or 8. When he got in open field with no one around, it was like he just looked up to find that lone defender he was going to truck, and it was game on. 😅😅

I was at the Rose Parade in Thomasville, Ga. when I was 13 (1979)and shook William Andrews hand. I watched every game like he was my BFF from that point on. Huge fan of one of the all-time greats in NFL history that unfortunately had his career cut short due to injury. 

My Faves:

Andrews

Riggs

Turner

Dunn - His off field stuff bumps Warrick up a couple of spots)

Stanback

Jam-(98 was magical)

4 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Andrews without a doubt. Sometimes half the opponent's team couldn't bring him down.

Who was the DB that he ran over and the man was laying in his wake having convulsions (knocked out cold)? I was young then, but WA is who made me a Falcon fan.

Oh and Bartkowski and Billy White Shoes and their hail maries. Loved that too.

Larry Munson calling Andrews running over Steve Wilson for an 80+ yard TD.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Larry Munson calling Andrews running over Steve Wilson for an 80+ yard TD.

Oh my. Yeah that's the one. When they showed opposing views, Wilson was a goner. I hurt for that dude for days seeing him laying there shaking like he was having a seizure. But, I could never stop watching WA after that day.

Hey, if I was a DB, I'd have tackled him like Dieon Sanders. Ooooops. My bad.

57 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

The title says it all. I am starting this thread because Beek interviewed William Andrews in a recent interview. 

My opinion is simple, I saw the man play, and regardless of the numbers, I saw this man run over people like they were not nothing in a time when the NFL would allow so many "Fouls" against the offensive RB these days. 

Herschel Walker was a great UGA RB, but William Andrews in my opinion for the Falcons set the standard when it come to running backs in any league. 

William Andrews should be a No SECOND THOUGHT HALL OF FAME PLAYER! In my opinion. 

But the question here is best of all time.

There are a lot of names, and I know a lot of people will mention those that they have seen play. 

I'm probably a lot older than most here. Gerald RIggs was freaking AWESOME! 

Then you have to consider Craig Heyward. Also known as Iron Head Heyward. 

My #1 Pick would be William Andrews, because if you want to talk about a all around running back in all facets of the game, demolishing the defense simply by their own will, speed/power etc.. that was William Andrews in my opinion. FREAKING AWESOME! 

And for the record, as a kid I saw the man play, so I KNOW what I am talking about here! 

Got to mention Warrick Dunn, but he was already an established RB before coming to the Falcons, kind person. But You can't consider him a greatest Falcons RB of all time because, well, he was great before coming here and others done more, not in the same league as William Andrews, William was better! 

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, they were a pair of running backs, and just my opinion they were a product of an offensive scheme and line more so than just being a pure running back like the others I mentioned who adapted and overcome. 

Not knocking them, they were great in what they done, but I do not believe that they are in the class of the others I have mentioned here already. 

Maybe I am biased, But William Andrews and Gerald Riggs and Craig Heyward were the best of all time for the Falcons. 

I am sure I missed someone, I am getting old so sorry if I did, no offense meant by doing so. 

Your thoughts on who is the GREATEST RB of all time for the ATLANTA FALCONS? 

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cross between William Andrews, Gerald Riggs (84 & 85 was a beast) and Burner Turner. 

Andrews, along with Wilbert Montgomery of the Eagles were the two prototype run/catch backs of the time that amassed 2000 yds per year. Dual threat... Really something special. It was heartbreaking when Andrews tore his acl... Loved watching that player. And to think he was primarily a blocking back for Joe Cribbs at Auburn. 

Edited by joeyg2033