Video not for the weak. Matt Ryan looked completely different

ryanadonis

I believe in Matt. Yes I believe 2016 was his pinnacle year. But with good coaching, a good running game, and a freedom to be the coach on the field when needed, I think he still has a good 3 years left in the tank. You can’t  put him in a situation where it’s all on him. This is true with any QB at any age. Matt is still one of the top QBs in the league. I think it’s a shame that people can’t see that football is the ultimate team game and a quarterback’s success is dependent on everyone doing their part.

Through all the changes in OCs and the ridiculous rehiring of Dirk Koetter, Matt continues to put up elite numbers. His arm strength is not what it once was but he is still great. He just needs a coach that can scheme him correctly. Hopefully Arthur is that guy. If you remember, John Elway was always seen as the guy who couldn’t get it done (SB ring) for his whole career. At the end of his career Mike Shanahan comes in and he has his best success winning two rings in his late 30s. This is why I believe in Matt. 

Edited by 44 Aaron RF

22 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

2016 was a historically good offense.

Historically good in terms of the history of the NFL.

Anyone who holds that up as the standard to use to judge Ryan since then and moving forward is being completely unreasonable. 

This is very true. Ryan IMO played just as well in 2018, but the team around him wasn’t as good. 

I equate Matt Ryan to Joe Johnson, formerly, of the Hawks. Both are/were great players for Atlanta, but with contracts that are detrimental to the team's overall growth. The same could be said of Julio Jones, so I'm not just picking on Matt. I'd even argue that the Hawks were, overall, more successful with Joe Johnson on the roster than the Falcons have been with MR & JJ. Yet, people were elated when Danny Ferry found a way to offload Joe and the abysmal contract to the Nets.

I think the majority of Falcons fans, especially on this board, will be pissed if either player gets traded (if even possible). Even Arthur Blank, who pays them and had knighted them "Falcons for life!", has changed his tune and gave up his emotional attachment to them; if moving them is deemed necessary by the new regime. AB wants TF & AS to do what's best for the team, in the long term, even if it means moving two of the greatest Falcons ever.

If we retain both Julio and Matt and Fontenot can find the right players at a discount, while Smith and staff coach them up and have success (playoffs) I'll stand corrected, and I hope that I do! It appears that Fontenot and Smith will this approach.

Honestly though, there are so many holes on the defense, it would take some amazing coaching and mostly hits from free agency and draft acquisitions to turn that unit around in one year. Not to mention the Falcons are strapped for cap space right now, due to the aforementioned salaries.

We'll see...

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

On 1/28/2021 at 8:09 PM, JDaveG said:

What was epically hilarious about that was Shanahan immediately turned to Hooper and started coaching him up about his route.  It was OBVIOUS that Hooper rounded his route off and ended up at the wrong depth and Shanahan was saying "this is how easy turnovers are if you don't do your job exactly right."

But people made it some kind of knock on Ryan.

The offense clearly missed that kind of high level  attention to detail, especially when Koetter showed up. This is why I'm fully convinced that, barring any catastrophic injuries, Ryan may very well play at a high level into his 40s, because he thrives in an environment like that. He's a QB that's always relied less on pure arm talent (though he's still capable of pushing it downfield) but more on making good reads, anticipation, and precision. Kyle Shanahan and Ryan was the perfect storm of coordinator who was both creative and meticulous (to the point that it rubbed people the wrong way, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the fans made a whole drama about it), and QB whose best traits are anticipation and precision.

I think we're getting that again with Arthur Smith. He'll extend Ryan's career by 3 years at least.

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

The offense clearly missed that kind of high level  attention to detail, especially when Koetter showed up. This is why I'm fully convinced that, barring any catastrophic injuries, Ryan may very well play at a high level into his 40s, because he thrives in an environment like that. He's a QB that's always relied less on pure arm talent (though he's still capable of pushing it downfield) but more on making good reads, anticipation, and precision. Kyle Shanahan and Ryan was the perfect storm of coordinator who was both creative and meticulous (to the point that it rubbed people the wrong way, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the fans made a whole drama about it), and QB whose best traits are anticipation and precision.

I think we're getting that again with Arthur Smith. He'll extend Ryan's career by 3 years at least.

This is why I feel this year we will not draft a qb, but next year to sit and learn under Matt for 1-2 years.  

What’s missing is the outstanding running game, creative play calling, and role players like Gabriel, Sanu. Coleman, and Toilolo. Ryan’s arm strength or decision making have not dwindled. Ryan’s mobility is the same that it always has been. Once Dan Quinn didn’t have a dynamic OC to mask his inabilities, it became apparent that this team is not well coached, and that the defense was never up for the task in 2016. The 2017 offense and defense managed to look okay, but then the defense fell off the cliff for the last three seasons. Then, the Falcons fire Sarkisian so that DK could come in and be less effective. It’s odd how Ryan gets bashed but the garbage defense gets a pass due to injuries, and scheme. The offense can have a revolving OL, no running game, and often injured #1 WR, but it’s MR’s fault that the team can’t score 30 + points every game so that the defense can ease through the constant growing pains of youth.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2016 is Ryan's high water mark.... his magnum opus 

That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be.

People need to forget that season ever happened because it's not going to happen again.

2018 is a more sensible/realistic goal.

2018 was basically an identical year to 2016 for him

On 1/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2016 is Ryan's high water mark.... his magnum opus 

That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be.

People need to forget that season ever happened because it's not going to happen again.

2018 is a more sensible/realistic goal.

***That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be.***

Yeah, but wait... Your talkin about a first ballot Hall of Fame QB my friend. Ease up on the criticism there... Them words are barely tolerated in these parts... 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rings said:

Can you imagine Ryan having three picks in the second half of an NFC Championship game?  This board would have a meltdown.  Even more, can you imagine us winning that game?  Ryan has to play perfect for us to stand a chance.  Brady hasn’t played well the last two weeks and his team still won.  He’s had some good throws, but missed a ton and been very lucky on a lot of throws that should have been picked against the Saints did not.  

Absolutely would melt down and yes, Brady has stunk it up at times and been bailed out by his team.  You are also correct, MR has never been given any margin for error by this team.  Just think how much better we’d have been (even w DK and I almost upchuck saying his name) if this team had simply had a sound running game and a D that could consistently get off field.....and make no mistake DK sucks!!

1 hour ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Absolutely would melt down and yes, Brady has stunk it up at times and been bailed out by his team.  You are also correct, MR has never been given any margin for error by this team.  Just think how much better we’d have been (even w DK and I almost upchuck saying his name) if this team had simply had a sound running game and a D that could consistently get off field.....and make no mistake DK sucks!!

Exciting to see how next year goes with on paper an upgrade at both offense and defensive schemes.

42 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Doesn't have to be historic. Top ten would have won us a few rings.

But you see, you can only buy that in FA.

Coaching and drafting? What's that? Just blame the QB for being "needy" and debate which QB could consistently win SBs with bottom 3rd defense...since Ryan is expected to. :rolleyes: