Video not for the weak. Matt Ryan looked completely different

Matt Ryan may not be Brady on Brady’s best day (neither are 95+% of QBs in NFL history) but Matt Ryan has been blessed w a total clown show of OCs besides Shannahan and to a way way lesser degree Sark.  Matt’s biggest fault is being such a “co man/Corp stiff” that he’s never once hinted or pushed this org publicly to address a consistently mediocre or worse OL/DL nor his OCs.   He’s “Mr Team”, “Mr cliche” and under duress, “Mr Happy Feet” and “Mr Interception”   ( so is Brady when you bust his ***). All this said, let’s see what kind of job Authur does and what MR does over next year or2 ( if he gets to play here that long).  I suspect he’s improved this coming season and back to high caliber if things work out for a second year.  You can’t put every last $ in a QB and 1 WR though and expect a “team” to somehow be there.   Flawed org philosophy has dragged everyone into gutter hope ‘21/22 we can finally get back to where we thought we were 2016/2017 and build on that.  Also, I’ve enjoyed at least hearing the word “accountability” in re to our “superstars” lately.  Time for leaders to lead on the field and in locker room or get out!!!!!!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ryan's WORST ('13, 14, '19, '20) years were Dirk led offenses. I'm gonna say it again. Ryan's WORST years were under Dirk led offenses. He did better in 2018 under Sark (2nd year coordinator at the ti

Am I the only one who remembers these regurgitated claims in the year or two prior to Shanahan? How washed Matt was..

2016 is Ryan's high water mark.... his magnum opus  That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be. People need to forget that season ever happened because it's no

Posted Images

16 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Sark was a way better coach than anyone here ever gave him credit for and should not have been fired.

Dan Quinn might still be our coach if he hadn't fired Sark.

I gave Sark plenty of credit but it was very obvious that DQ should've let Sark be Sark and not Shanny.

16 hours ago, athell said:

Nope.  Remember when people wanted Matt gone and called him washed because Kyle Shanahan picked him off in training camp and then Matt went out and won a MVP?  Good times.

ahahaha I remember that people was on his head for that. It was obviously a training situation

18 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2016 is Ryan's high water mark.... his magnum opus 

That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be.

People need to forget that season ever happened because it's not going to happen again.

2018 is a more sensible/realistic goal.

Yes, it was his best season.  Fortunately, we now have a new OC that runs a very similar offensive scheme.......not a guy that is being asked to adapt to the new scheme......rather a guy that already employs it.  

Matt may never reach the highs of 2016, but don't be surprised if he comes pretty close this coming season.  

18 hours ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Crazy when you have good coaching lol. 

100% true. Watch any one of the throws and when Matt hits his 3rd step back, the ball comes out. This was coached to be timing routes which is what a west coast offense is about.

Dirk changed this. Only fools believed Dirk was running the "atlanta system" which was supposed to mimic Kyle. Dirk ran routes, patterns and schemes that were nothing like a west coast offense.

2 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Matt Ryan may not be Brady on Brady’s best day (neither are 95+% of QBs in NFL history) but Matt Ryan has been blessed w a total clown show of OCs besides Shannahan and to a way way lesser degree Sark.  Matt’s biggest fault is being such a “co man/Corp stiff” that he’s never once hinted or pushed this org publicly to address a consistently mediocre or worse OL/DL nor his OCs.   He’s “Mr Team”, “Mr cliche” and under duress, “Mr Happy Feet” and “Mr Interception”   ( so is Brady when you bust his ***). All this said, let’s see what kind of job Authur does and what MR does over next year or2 ( if he gets to play here that long).  I suspect he’s improved this coming season and back to high caliber if things work out for a second year.  You can’t put every last $ in a QB and 1 WR though and expect a “team” to somehow be there.   Flawed org philosophy has dragged everyone into gutter hope ‘21/22 we can finally get back to where we thought we were 2016/2017 and build on that.  Also, I’ve enjoyed at least hearing the word “accountability” in re to our “superstars” lately.  Time for leaders to lead on the field and in locker room or get out!!!!!!!

Can you imagine Ryan having three picks in the second half of an NFC Championship game?  This board would have a meltdown.  Even more, can you imagine us winning that game?  Ryan has to play perfect for us to stand a chance.  Brady hasn’t played well the last two weeks and his team still won.  He’s had some good throws, but missed a ton and been very lucky on a lot of throws that should have been picked against the Saints did not.  

He will be fine. Ben Jones from the Titans said Ryan will be given the same "holy grail of QB tools" that usually only Peyton, Brady, and Tannehill (that name doesn't seem to fit in my mind. haha) gets to have; complete freedom to call any and every play (and audible to any and every play) in the playbook on every snap.  The falcons will not be stuck in a play that makes no sense against a defensive front the players know will blow up the play they are supposed to run. 

Just now, Rings said:

Can you imagine Ryan having three picks in the second half of an NFC Championship game?  This board would have a meltdown.  Even more, can you imagine us winning that game?  Ryan has to play perfect for us to stand a chance.  Brady hasn’t played well the last two weeks and his team still won.  He’s had some good throws, but missed a ton and been very lucky on a lot of throws that should have been picked against the Saints did not.  

Ryan has one of the best NFCG performances in the NFL. Too bad he lost one with 17 point lead at half. 

11 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Notice most of his best throws are playaction. Doesn't quite work as well with no running game

Thing is it still worked really well...when we used it...we just didn’t run it enough, particularly in the second half.  League is using play action at a much higher rate the last four years and Dirk didn’t adjust.  Play action only working when you have a good run game or have “established the run” isn’t true.  We ran multiple play actions on the first play or two of the game this year and picked up 20+ yard chunks almost everytime.

4 minutes ago, Rings said:

Thing is it still worked really well...when we used it...we just didn’t run it enough, particularly in the second half.  League is using play action at a much higher rate the last four years and Dirk didn’t adjust.  Play action only working when you have a good run game or have “established the run” isn’t true.  We ran multiple play actions on the first play or two of the game this year and picked up 20+ yard chunks almost everytime.

I didn't say it didn't work, but a decent run game gets those LB to freeze more so than not having a true run threat

19 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

2016 was a historically good offense.

Historically good in terms of the history of the NFL.

Anyone who holds that up as the standard to use to judge Ryan since then and moving forward is being completely unreasonable. 

Yep. I said the same thing. There is a case for Matt's 2016 season as being one of the top 10 QB seasons in history if you look at the metrics.

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

Yes, it was his best season.  Fortunately, we now have a new OC that runs a very similar offensive scheme.......not a guy that is being asked to adapt to the new scheme......rather a guy that already employs it.  

Matt may never reach the highs of 2016, but don't be surprised if he comes pretty close this coming season.  

You guys really need to adjust your expectations or you will be disappointed.

Ryan is going to come 'pretty close' to repeating career highs the first year in a new system of an unproven rookie head coach? So now what Tennessee was doing was very similar to the Kyle Shanahan scheme? Really?

One thing has been consistent with Ryan the last 5 years. When he transitions to a new OC there is a drop-off/adjustment period... and this was supposedly running the same scheme. When he had to switch to a new system with new terminology in 2015 there was a much more pronounced transition.

Forget 2016. Expect Ryan to drop closer to his career averages. Expect him, and the team, to struggle at times.

The team will most likely have zero cap space to bring in any immediate impact FAs. Unless the team has one of the best drafts it has ever had I would expect the team to struggle next season. Maybe they have a winning record. Maybe they don't.

The improvement we all want is going to take time.

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You guys really need to adjust your expectations or you will be disappointed.

Ryan is going to come 'pretty close' to repeating career highs the first year in a new system of an unproven rookie head coach? So now what Tennessee was doing was very similar to the Kyle Shanahan scheme? Really?

One thing has been consistent with Ryan the last 5 years. When he transitions to a new OC there is a drop-off/adjustment period... and this was supposedly running the same scheme. When he had to switch to a new system with new terminology in 2015 there was a much more pronounced transition.

Forget 2016. Expect Ryan to drop closer to his career averages. Expect him, and the team, to struggle at times.

The team will most likely have zero cap space to bring in any immediate impact FAs. Unless the team has one of the best drafts it has ever had I would expect the team to struggle next season. Maybe they have a winning record. Maybe they don't.

The improvement we all want is going to take time.

WCO is complicated. Ryan had no problem adjusting from 2011-2012 with coordinator change. The problem was DQ not retaining Mike Daniels or ML instead of hiring Sark and DK. They both had to learn new offense. What Smith did in TN is very similar to KS. Not a transition from DK to KS in 2015. Sure OC and players may take time to gel. 

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

WCO is complicated. Ryan had no problem adjusting from 2011-2012 with coordinator change. The problem was DQ not retaining Mike Daniels or ML instead of hiring Sark and DK. They both had to learn new offense. What Smith did in TN is very similar to KS. Not a transition from DK to KS in 2015. Sure OC and players may take time to gel. 

Again...

KS to Sark....  there was an adjustment period

Sark to DK... there was an adjustment period.

Same system with with the same concepts with the same terminology. 

Now we have another coaching change but we don't known if the system will have the same concepts and same terminology.

I'm not saying Ryan will have the same drop off he had in 2015 but I would expect similar results from when he went KS->Sark->DK 

20 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Again...

Now we have another coaching change but we don't known if the system will have the same concepts and same terminology.

I'm not saying Ryan will have the same drop off he had in 2015 but I would expect similar results from when he went KS->Sark->DK 

That’s not Ryan adjusting from KS-Sark-DK, it was OC who haven’t run that system shoved down their throats by DQ. 

5 hours ago, Rings said:

Good post. Another key is motion pre-at the snap and getting back to wide zone looks under C as well.

Dirk doesn’t know how to piece it all together play to play for that style of game. If his script doesn’t work, it takes a long time to get going and it’s usually painfully inefficient; boom or bust.

It’s like playing chess with checkers pieces and not knowing the rules for what to do and when; relative to his previous moves and the opponent’s.

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Again...

Dirk is not the correct coach for WC at all and didn’t call the same rhythm style the same way. It’s in the details.

Kyle to Sark was more about Sark than players alone; especially in the RZ.

I’m not concerned about RZ calls with Arthur Smith.

Tannehill didn’t have trouble instantly producing in Smith’s offense after years of being terribly ineffective.

Also, the QB isn’t the only one subject to these changes.

Matt will be back with a coach that learned/chose the WC system at the NFL level ; and focused on everything that Matt does well.

Motion pre-post snap. Play action. Under C. Bootlegs. Zone run game. Heck a run game at all!

Dirk didn’t do those things. It was inside zone, 11 personnel and shotgun.

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

That’s not Ryan adjusting from KS-Sark-DK, it was OC who haven’t run that system shoved down their throats by DQ. 

Exactly. Smith isn’t coming in here to fake being Kyle.

Dirk didn’t even run a WC system before. Just because he conceptualized a concept doesn’t make him fit to call it, game plan it, scheme it or Implement.

We tried to be a hybrid of Dirk and Shanahan’s style but not really true to either. It was clunky.

Arthur year 1 wasn’t a problem in Tennessee. Maybe LaFleur was the real year 1 and then they got a QB more capable?

Smith calling his own system is completely different than Sark or Dirk.

Who cares about projecting production right now? We should focus on the reason to believe it can work. Dirk showed he was the wrong hire completely.