Video not for the weak. Matt Ryan looked completely different

ryanadonis

Posting from some other troll thread...I was wrong on some figures but can't edit the other post.

Since 2013 started:

Run game-

Two times has the team had a run game above league average in Yards.

2016 and 2017

5th and 13th in yards.

^Both times the team made the playoffs.

^Improve run game, protect leads by shortening games; instead of relying on shootouts with the kind of defenses shown below:

Defense PER drive rank from 2013-2020:

Time / Plays / Yards / Points

31 / 29 / 29 / 32 lol

32 / 32 / 32 / 30 lol

19 / 29 / 27 / 17 (Quinn era begins; it wouldn't get better)

27 / 29 / 26 / 28 (This defense was drug kicking/screaming to the SB)

32 / 32 / 25 / 20 (The "amazing" 2017 defense :lol: )

30 / 30 / 30 / 30 (the "Ryan 2x MVP production" year; no run game too)

21 / 25 / 25 / 27 (Historically bad defense during 1-7 start to season; Dirk hired ???)

11 / 16 / 27 / 21 (better at getting off field; sometimes by way of giving up a lot of points and yards quickly)

AVERAGE RANK IN POINTS ALLOWED PER DRIVE:

Bottom 3rd of LEAGUE for 8 YEARS

Now, let’s look at Offense POINTS per drive finish during this time counting backward-

15 (Koo leads league in FGs...Dirk's final year 5)

8 (Dirk re-hired...year 4)

4 (Sark year 2)

7 (run game was above league average, 1st year OC/first time NFL playcaller)

1 (run game top 5 finish, currently the 8th most prolific scoring offense in NFL histroy)

18 Kyle year 1; massive scheme shift for all offensive personnel

10 Dirk year 3

17 Dirk year 2

10th on average in points

KEY DIFFERENCE:

7.5 in points scored w/ WCO coach

12.5 w/ Dirk

Dirk Koetter in at OC for 2 of the 3 rankings below 10. First year Kyle was the only time that WC offense didn't finish 7th or higher.

If you score more you may win more, but we saw this isn't always true even in 2016 with a top 10 all-time unit.

So, improve the defense. Protecting them with a run game; which LIKELY gets your scoring back to top 10 as a floor?

I'll let you connect the dots. 

Edited by Ergo Proxy
corrections

Even if you look only at Matt Ryan since 2017...he is still a Top 10 QB in EPA and CPOE. This is despite Dirk being retread and a college coach trying to call NFL plays for the first time:

3kIRfMX.png

And 3 of these seasons was without a run game. Now imagine we had that, a WCO coach...and a defense.

I guess we can't expect Arthur Smith and Dean Pees to help fill those needs as coaches. Ryan just needs to carry harder.

:munch:

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

Ryan's WORST ('13, 14, '19, '20) years were Dirk led offenses. I'm gonna say it again. Ryan's WORST years were under Dirk led offenses. He did better in 2018 under Sark (2nd year coordinator at the time) than he has ever done under Dirk. None of this is a coincidence. 

Why are people not understanding this?

His first year under Shanny was one of his worst seasons too. 

2 hours ago, direwolf said:

I'll take 2018-type stats from Ryan - 69.4% completion percentage, 4924 yards, 35 TDs, 7 INTs....

If we have a defense that's worth anything and even a hint of a running game, we'll be right in the hunt for the Super Bowl.

Good post.

Balanced and adaptable. Tired of this 1 trick pony. Get a team built.

Look at what Ryan Tannehill was for years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

Seriously...that QBR jump!

Now, look at Matt Ryan...even in the Dirk years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm

If Smith's system can turn Tannehill into a productive player over night...

Tannehill's ceiling before Arthur Smith was Matt Ryan's career low. :)

People are afraid to hope. They have hitched their dreams to an unknown because they THINK they know football off a mere stat line. They deflect and say "but its not about moving on from Matt it's when he retires in 2 years because reasons!"

:lol:

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Ryan's WORST ('13, 14, '19, '20) years were Dirk led offenses. I'm gonna say it again. Ryan's WORST years were under Dirk led offenses. He did better in 2018 under Sark (2nd year coordinator at the time) than he has ever done under Dirk. None of this is a coincidence. 

Why are people not understanding this?

Because DK isnt playing with balls, on the field. :)

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2016 is Ryan's high water mark.... his magnum opus 

That's the best he has ever been and most likely the best he will ever be.

People need to forget that season ever happened because it's not going to happen again.

2018 is a more sensible/realistic goal.

Ryan actually scored more TDs in the 2018 regular season (39) than he did in 2016 (38), with the same number of INTs (7) and a YPA of 8.0, while averaging 5 more pass attempts per game (39 in 2018 to 34 in 2016) and a lackluster run game.

If 2018 is a more realistic goal, you may as well say Ryan's floor is elite, but y'all not ready for that.

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

People need to forget that season ever happened because it's not going to happen again.

Matt reached mastered ultra instinct that year and never tapped into that again...I miss that matt.i just wanted him back on track at this point..koetter and this "Atlanta falcons offense"zapped all the life out of him and he deserves better than that 

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

A Smith runs a similar offense to Shanny.  ‘16 was special but ‘21 could be very good.

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

If you ignore, how do you see this post? 

Well, unfortunately, it’s not like Twitter where people vanish if you block them. I can still see topics on the main page that people start that I have on ignore. 

When I go in, it tells me I’ve chosen to ignore them, but I can see if somebody quotes the. I can’t make them totally disappear, sadly. 😄

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

Ryan actually scored more TDs in the 2018 regular season (39) than he did in 2016 (38), with the same number of INTs (7) and a YPA of 8.0, while averaging 5 more pass attempts per game (39 in 2018 to 34 in 2016) and a lackluster run game.

If 2018 is a more realistic goal, you may as well say Ryan's floor is elite, but y'all not ready for that.

Yep. It was less efficient obviously because of the volume of attempts increasing.

More TDs without a run game. He had to be ALL the production.

Less INT rate because of volume passing with the defense that year? And people wonder why rate of INTs go up with Dirk? They don't know the different styles of offense. The route combinations and how it syncs up.

Ryan mastered that offense and some genius; (hopefully not AB/RM lol) wanted to move back to Dirk? They're probably gone because of that alone. But also while not fixing the defense or the run game?

Get this: Ryan's QBR for 2020 was better than 2018. Get us an offense that isn't so heavy lifting for all the players; not just the QB.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Posting from some other troll thread...I was wrong on some figures but can't edit the other post.

Since 2013 started:

Run game-

Two times has the team had a run game above league average in Yards.

2016 and 2017

5th and 13th in yards.

^Both times the team made the playoffs.

^Improve run game, protect leads by shortening games; instead of relying on shootouts with the kind of defenses shown below:

Defense PER drive rank from 2013-2020:

Time / Plays / Yards / Points

31 / 29 / 29 / 32 lol

32 / 32 / 32 / 30 lol

19 / 29 / 27 / 17 (Quinn era begins; it wouldn't get better)

27 / 29 / 26 / 28 (This defense was drug kicking/screaming to the SB)

32 / 32 / 25 / 20 (The "amazing" 2017 defense :lol: )

30 / 30 / 30 / 30 (the "Ryan 2x MVP production" year; no run game too)

21 / 25 / 25 / 27 (Historically bad defense during 1-7 start to season; Dirk hired ???)

11 / 16 / 27 / 21 (better at getting off field; sometimes by way of giving up a lot of points and yards quickly)

AVERAGE RANK IN POINTS ALLOWED PER DRIVE:

Bottom 3rd of LEAGUE for 8 YEARS

Now, let’s look at Offense POINTS per drive finish during this time counting backward-

15 (Koo leads league in FGs...Dirk's final year 5)

8 (Dirk re-hired...year 4)

4 (Sark year 2)

7 (run game was above league average, 1st year OC/first time NFL playcaller)

1 (run game top 5 finish, currently the 8th most prolific scoring offense in NFL histroy)

18 Kyle year 1; massive scheme shift for all offensive personnel

10 Dirk year 3

17 Dirk year 2

10th on average in points

KEY DIFFERENCE:

7.5 in points scored w/ WCO coach

12.5 w/ Dirk

Dirk Koetter in at OC for 2 of the 3 rankings below 10. First year Kyle was the only time that WC offense didn't finish 7th or higher.

If you score more you may win more, but we saw this isn't always true even in 2016 with a top 10 all-time unit.

So, improve the defense. Protecting them with a run game; which LIKELY gets your scoring back to top 10 as a floor?

I'll let you connect the dots. 

Stop with that common sense football know how.  Great post!!

7 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Nope, looks just fine to me.. MR2 2020

Hes a noodle arm, no deep ball ability, he isnt accurate, he's a statue, he doesn't put our sad team on his back and just win every game, he needs to audible, he should have told DK to get bent, he should have played better on defense, the man cannot cover for **** on kick offs, he is the reason we lose, he isnt exciting, he can't run, we have to replace him so we can get back to our winning ways.  

Very purple.  

5 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

His first year under Shanny was one of his worst seasons too. 

Roster talent was lacking on both sides and adjusting to a new scheme for Ryan and company was tougher than expected. Redzone turnovers, horrible center play, bad defense, etc.

We all know what happened in '16 but it took a year of lumps and building a roster. 

18 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Stop with that common sense football know how.  Great post!!

I mean, it's just basic. We are built to have a better offense and we can't even run the ball. That's a problem. You automatically are 1 dimensional on offense while investing the most there. And, it's not a QB issue like the boards want to center the focus on.

Plus, we pay guys like Fowler to come in here and get like 2 or 3 sacks at a PREMIUM FA tag?

That kind of stuff is why TD is gone. Maybe it was DQ in the end, but something didn't add up. It was time for fresh set of eyes/brains from GM to HC.

We haven't gotten a pass rusher from DE spot since Abraham and he wasn't even acquired by TD. The OL patchwork as well, but I think it could be better in a suitable system.

Above all, the instability at OC while becoming a bottom 1/3 defense for the past 8 years overall. Again, you can buy in FA even though people said we couldn't...doesn't make it work out just because you got a guy. You HAVE to have the right coaches/systems and playcalls/strategy to keep other teams on their heels instead of playing into their hands and making your players jobs harder.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean, it's just basic. We are built to have a better offense and we can't even run the ball. That's a problem. You automatically are 1 dimensional on offense while investing the most there. And, it's not a QB issue like the boards want to center the focus on.

Plus, we pay guys like Fowler to come in here and get like 2 or 3 sacks at a PREMIUM FA tag?

That kind of stuff is why TD is gone. We haven't gotten a pass rusher from DE spot since Abraham and he wasn't even acquired by TD. The OL patchwork as well. Above all, the instability at OC while becoming a bottom 1/3 defense for the past 8 years overall. Again, you can buy in FA even though people said we couldn't...doesn't make it work out just because you got a guy. You HAVE to have the right coaches/systems and playcalls/strategy to keep other teams on their heels instead of playing into their hands and making your players jobs harder.

Preach.  Amen.  And Awomen!

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

What was epically hilarious about that was Shanahan immediately turned to Hooper and started coaching him up about his route.  It was OBVIOUS that Hooper rounded his route off and ended up at the wrong depth and Shanahan was saying "this is how easy turnovers are if you don't do your job exactly right."

But people made it some kind of knock on Ryan.

200 IQ post.