Des Kitchings- New RBs Coach (?)

• Herr Doktor changed the title to Des Kitchings- New RBs Coach

Arthur Smith has been searching far and wide for his new coaching staff, plucking names not otherwise connected to the new head coach like Dave Ragone from the Chicago Bears for offensive coordinator.

Now Smith is reaching into college for his running back coach. Per multiple reports, Des Kitchings, running back coach from the University of South Carolina will join the Falcons in the same role.

Running backs coach Des Kitchings is leaving the Gamecocks program to take the same position with the Atlanta Falcons, according to a source with knowledge of the situation told The State. FootballScoop was the first to report the news. There has been no official announcement from the Falcons yet.

Before this COVID-19 shortened college season, the Gamecocks hadn’t had a 1,000 yard rusher since Marcus Lattimore back in 2010. That rusher Kevin Harris will not be draftable this offseason but it raises some questions about who the Falcons could target with running back a top need.

Per the report, Carolina lost their prior running back coach to the Los Angeles Rams in 2019.

Kitchings has a long history in college, and has been well respected for his work in Carolina, per Football Scoop.

Kitchings had been positioned for a raise with the Gamecocks, per sources, and also was well-liked in the athletics department, per sources in the program. Kitchings also has been consistently one of the top recruiters of overall talent and developers of running backs at the collegiate level.

The Falcons could desperately use the latter as the team has failed to develop a back since Devonta Freeman exploded under Kyle Shanahan (then exploded in a whole other way after signing a long-term extension).

We are still trying to figure out what to expect from Smith, but he is making a lot of bold choices that we did not see under the team’s former head coach.

• Herr Doktor changed the title to Des Kitchings- New RBs Coach (?)

I like the overall attempt by the new HC and GM to get as many new brains in the place as possible. As much of the old that we purge, the better. 

I'm curious how the scouts' lives change when a new HC/GM roll into an organization. There are too many boots on the ground to just fire them all and replace them. I wonder how they adjust what they're looking for when they get philosophical marching orders from the new regime?

Just now, thanat0s said:

I like the overall attempt by the new HC and GM to get as many new brains in the place as possible. As much of the old that we purge, the better. 

I'm curious how the scouts' lives change when a new HC/GM roll into an organization. There are too many boots on the ground to just fire them all and replace them. I wonder how they adjust what they're looking for when they get philosophical marching orders from the new regime?

Thats a good question.  I dont really know how the old scouts relate in a new regime.  Its probably too late in the game to clear house.  So, they probably change through attrition?  Thats a good question.

2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Thats a good question.  I dont really know how the old scouts relate in a new regime.  Its probably too late in the game to clear house.  So, they probably change through attrition?  Thats a good question.

I'd guess so, but I would like for someone to interview some scouts who have been through that. In fact, the sports press never interviews scouts in general. It'd seem to be a great place to go for insights pre-draft.

Maybe that's where their 'anonymous sources' in the organization come from? 😄

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I'd guess so, but I would like for someone to interview some scouts who have been through that. In fact, the sports press never interviews scouts in general. It'd seem to be a great place to go for insights pre-draft.

Maybe that's where their 'anonymous sources' in the organization come from? 😄

Scouts are like ghosts.  A friend of mine used to scout hockey players.  From peewee leagues in Canada and Europe up through every echelon.  And it is thankless work.  He compiled loads of data on up and comers.  Then moves to the next town.  Its brutal work to be good at it.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

When it comes to the 'support' guys I think there is always room for improvement?  Thing is, its like anything else....when a team finds a good scout, or coach, or FO exec.... teams keep these folks.   They don't com available so much.

Someone in our scouting dept, 'found' Grady Jarrett....Sheffield....Oluokun....Gage....Walker...and others that became players for us.    Those guys need to be kept.

The decision makers are the guys responsible for taking and evaluating info, then acting on it.   We have new decision makers....they come from good drafting teams.  Change is going to come, but not cleaning house.

4 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

since Devonta Freeman exploded under Kyle Shanahan (then exploded in a whole other way after signing a long-term extension).

this may absolutely be my favorite thing I've read on the interwebz today

@Knight of God  whatcha think my friend? knowing your feelings about freeman and all.....

:lol:

Not adding much to the conversation, but I played with Des for three years at Furman. Really good guy. Ran a sub-4.3 in college and was ultimately drafted by the Chiefs. Has basically spent the last 20 years coaching, primarily in the SEC and ACC. Excited to see another Paladin in the NFL, considering we don't produce many draft picks.

1 hour ago, HouTXFalcon said:

Not adding much to the conversation, but I played with Des for three years at Furman. Really good guy. Ran a sub-4.3 in college and was ultimately drafted by the Chiefs. Has basically spent the last 20 years coaching, primarily in the SEC and ACC. Excited to see another Paladin in the NFL, considering we don't produce many draft picks.

Thanks for the information. You added more to the conversation than the OP by Falcoholic. Love hearing directly from someone who played wit a coach. 

2 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Last 1000 yd rusher since Lattimore and he's the new RB coach? I hope that is a function of the offense's system 😬

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Try not to judge him to harshly for things he had no control over, he was only at SC for 1 year. He was at NC State for 8 years prior to 2020.

Thanks for the info. I was like WTH. If only the  Falcoholic folks did some research and added that part.

48 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Who do you like?

Harris, Hubbard, Etienne, Sermon, Williams and a few others.

48 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

How high would you take a back this year?

Would you be good with taking one at 4?

As high as the late first if we trade down or up. 

Sure if we took another one in the late first or second or Mark Ingram.