What does Arthur Smith need to form a top 5 offense?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LG, RB, and creativity.

Yall might be surprised how much more efficient they will be with a different scheme and approach. 

Firing Dirk Koetter was addition by subtraction.

4 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Firing Dirk Koetter was addition by subtraction.

The more I think about the incompetence of Dirk Koetter, the more I realize the 2020 Falcons Front Office were throwing darts against a board and then saying we are going to try this.  They had Koetter before.  He had quite a stable of running backs including Michael Turner.  He also had Mike Smith who insisted on running a balanced offense.  Maybe this disguised Koetter's bad tendencies.  But, there had to be conversations that revealed his slanted views on how to run an offense.  Then, he failed in Tampa Bay.  Then, we hired him again.

This is history.  Time to be done with it.  I am just trying to understand how we could make such bad decisions.

• A game plan that plays to our strengths and exposes our opponents' weaknesses.
  • Half time adjustments which change up our attack to exploit potential changes the defense may make.
  • A bigger, younger, zone system HB.
  • Potential draft picks: G, TE, HB

Forget about free agency. Trade back from #4 and pick up day 1 & 2 draft picks. If we can grab DL, OL, RB/TE, and FS/SS/CB in between days 1 & 2, we should be pretty set.

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Gage just put up 800 yards & 4 TDs as WR3

That's on Matt, he would have made treadwell look good. (See the list of other wr who left and did poorly w/out him.)

Anyhow JMO maybe he's a better WR4 but we could used a better WR3. 

14 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Time machine to circa 2016. The level of play of both Ryan and Jones now are simply not close to the level in 16', nor should it be as it was 5 years ago. 

We need to worry about being top 15 in O & D & ST first . Every year it's post about us being top 5 in this or that. Last year it was all but guaranteed that between the continuity and amazing offseason that we would be top 10 D as well.

2016 was a fallacy. No need to compare to that year any more, as great as it was. I agree O, D, and ST are all integral parts to this machine. As always, hopefully the ST can provide some juice and the D help the O. But in due time.. I like the coaching acquisitions but only time will tell 

14 hours ago, falcndave said:

No big arguments other than RB. It is a talent deficient position that needs to be upgraded in short order. I am also tending toward seeing more need for change along the OL than you are. Maybe TE1 as well. Scheme may be able to free up Hurst as a receive, but I'm not sure he is the guy I want on the edge in a zone running scheme.

RB is a definite need. OL is a definite need. RB is the most important IMO with OL being a close 2nd. TE is needed as well but under Smith i think we could allow a veteran guy to fill that role with ease. OL potentially as well. The real wild card is RB. 

With needs at OLB, DE, CB  and S, its hard to gage the draft but with Font I'm hoping we can fill some needs with veterans, after cuts/restructures of course, and help this thing manifest. 

I love the idea of veterans on D and young offensive guys for Smith to develope.

7 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

**** Prime, whats with all the hate? Haha you a Fields or Lance guy or not QB at all? 

I like Lawrence and Fields at 4 if either are there (We know Trevor won't be). Don't want Wilson anywhere close to 4. Lance Is intriguing just due to his raw talent but again, No where close to 4.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

LG, RB, and creativity.

And the RB does not have to be another D Henry.  We need a classic WCO RB....someone that has great vision, is decisive, can catch the ball and can pick up the blitz.  

We don't NEED a burner, nor do we need a bull.  

We already have an elite WR corp and a very good receiving TE.  And, it so happens that this draft features a number of good LG prospects.  

By the end of the off-season, the Falcons will have the offensive roster that Smith needs to make things hum.  They will also have a QB that is not only familiar with this scheme, but has had his best season in this system.  

I foresee an amazing improvement in the offense this coming season.  

The Defense will take a little longer to come along.  

On 1/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

I like Lawrence and Fields at 4 if either are there (We know Trevor won't be). Don't want Wilson anywhere close to 4. Lance Is intriguing just due to his raw talent but again, No where close to 4.

Wilson definitely is worrisome. I like him one day and have second thoughts the next. I agree #4 is high but that could be what it takes to get him. Honestly if we stick with Ryan for 2-3 more years than I'm more in favor of Lance, probably regardless. Again with him though #4 is a bit rich. If we could trade back to #7, 8, 10, 11 and get Lance I'd be stoked. Fields at #4 I'm not a huge fan of but would definitely get on board with it. 

I'm in most peoples boat of definitely wanting a trade down above all

On 1/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, me4falcons said:

That's on Matt, he would have made treadwell look good. (See the list of other wr who left and did poorly w/out him.)

Anyhow JMO maybe he's a better WR4 but we could used a better WR3. 

Are you drunk?

1. Starting quality LG - the vast majority of people on the board are sold on Gono, but I'm not; we'll see.
  2. Starting quality C - Mack is more than likely gone in free agency, if he doesn't retire. Hennessy was drafted to be his successor. Will a newcomer challenge Hennessy's succession?
  3. Starting quality HB - Woeful was the run game. Hill showed flashes of brilliance, but he seems to be more of a change of pace back than a full time started. We need a 3 down starter. Gurley is not that guy anymore. Hopefully we can strike gold here with an undrafted free agent 
  4. Dynamic play calling - Since AS has said he's calling the plays, that's his own responsibility. 
  5. A healthy roster - this is pure roll of the dice. If COVID is still an issue, it can really tank a team, along with the terrible 2020 injury bug. I think the idea of nixing the preseason has been nixed itself.
6 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:
  1. Starting quality LG - the vast majority of people on the board are sold on Gono, but I'm not; we'll see. Agreed, wildly over-rated, like James Stone or any other OG or OT that rides the bench. We always have an all-pro on the bench per some.
  2. Starting quality C - Mack is more than likely gone in free agency, if he doesn't retire. Hennessy was drafted to be his successor. Will a newcomer challenge Hennessy's succession? Mack will be gone and we desperately need to sign a veteran and do exactly what you mentioned, compete!
  3. Starting quality HB - Woeful was the run game. Hill showed flashes of brilliance, but he seems to be more of a change of pace back than a full time started. We need a 3 down starter. Gurley is not that guy anymore. Hopefully we can strike gold here with an undrafted free agent. Brian Hill sucks, sorry he is not a good football player nor has he shown anything that is even remotely close to "brilliant". I think we need 2 backs out of this draft and a pair that can compliment one another(i.e a lead back and then your Sproles type that can also return punts and kicks)
  4. Dynamic play calling - Since AS has said he's calling the plays, that's his own responsibility. Very curious to see what problems were pure coaching, and what were on the talent and aging players. One super-poster said there would be no excuse to not score 27-30 points a game next year(Despite the fact we have done that exactly twice in 56 years and one of the 2 times by .1 or 27.1 points per game)
  5. A healthy roster - this is pure roll of the dice. If COVID is still an issue, it can really tank a team, along with the terrible 2020 injury bug. I think the idea of nixing the preseason has been nixed itself. We had one of the healthiest in football, so there no excuse for that in 2020. 

18 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:
  1. Starting quality HB - Woeful was the run game. Hill showed flashes of brilliance, but he seems to be more of a change of pace back than a full time started. We need a 3 down starter. Gurley is not that guy anymore. Hopefully we can strike gold here with an undrafted free agent. Brian Hill sucks, sorry he is not a good football player nor has he shown anything that is even remotely close to "brilliant". I think we need 2 backs out of this draft and a pair that can compliment one another(i.e a lead back and then your Sproles type that can also return punts and kicks)

C'mon you have to put some "respeck" on Hill's name. To be able to do this in the NFL requires some type of talent and skill (brilliance) and great blocking 🤣:

18 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:
  1. A healthy roster - this is pure roll of the dice. If COVID is still an issue, it can really tank a team, along with the terrible 2020 injury bug. I think the idea of nixing the preseason has been nixed itself. We had one of the healthiest in football, so there no excuse for that in 2020. 

We were missing some key components. Julio was often injured, and so was Gurley. Oh yeah not to forget Gage with the knee injury. The starting OL, as expected, suffered injures as well.

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!
4 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

C'mon you have to put some "respeck" on Hill's name. To be able to do this in the NFL requires some type of talent and skill (brilliance) and great blocking 🤣:

We were missing some key components. Julio was often injured, and so was Gurley. Oh yeah not to forget Gage with the knee injury. The starting OL, as expected, suffered injures as well.

Hill is a keeper for the 3-4 tier on the depth chart only

Keep Matt Ryan upright.

It's a joke seeing how much time Brady, Rodgers and Brees had in the pocket compared to Ryan. No wonder all these dudes could "defy age." Any all pro QBs could look great into their 40s if they have all day.

Get the OL together and they are easily a top 10 scoring offense.

The question depends entirely on whether or not you want to try building a top 5 offense around Matt Ryan and his big-*** cap hit in the 2020's. Theoretically we could if we somehow added a couple premium offensive linemen to form a line that protects Ryan better than he's ever been protected at any point in his career. Thing is, you usually don't see teams go far in the playoffs with over two thirds of their cap space tied up in their offense, because their offenses don't score 30 points a game in the playoffs and their defenses aren't stocked to hold off playoff-caliber offenses for four quarters. It might be a fool's errand to try to build that kind of offense around Ryan when they need to be building first with the idea of what they'll be a couple years from now with the right roster management.

17 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

We were a whole lot healthier than most and Gurley sucked no matter if he was healthy of not. Looked like he was running in quicksand. Based on what I saw this year, the drop-off when Julio was not playing, was as as prevalent as years past.

Brian Hill still sucks though. If I'm keeping a #2 it Ito, but he is about as reliable as a Fiat.