Fixing the Offensive Line...With Existing Players

In this scenario, Alex Mack is not re-signed....Carpenter gets released/traded...Gono is signed to a 2nd round tender.

LT is Matthews.  IF we draft Penei Sewell, Matthews might become interesting trade bait, depending on his cap hit... Otherwise Matthews keeps this spot.

LG is where things get more interesting.   Typically NFL teams like to put thier best pass blocking guard here,  For the Falcons, that player is Lindstrom.  Chris has always felt miscast as an RG, to me....I think he belongs on the left side.

C is Hennessy.  It would be great to bring in some legit competition for him....otherwise he is the only C on the roster.

RG and RT:   Two spots, two players left, McGrary and Gono.  At RT, McGrary is up and coming, but Gono looks more 'there' than Mcgrary does.  Potentially a good RT, McGrary may be better at RG.  So Gono gets RT, while McGrary slides inside to RG.

There you go.   Almost the entire line is on thier rookie deals.  Matthews is the only one approaching 30.   This could be a very good line for a couple years.

Edited by egoprime II
1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

In this scenario, Alex Mack is not re-signed....Carpenter gets released/traded...Gono is signed to a 2nd round tender.

LT is Matthews.  IF we draft Penei Sewell, Matthew might become interesting trade bait, depending on his cap hit... Otherwise Matthews keeps this spot.

LG is where things get more interesting.   Typically NFL teams like to put thier best pass blocking guard here,  For the Falcons, that player is Lindstrom.  Chris has always felt miscast as an RG, to me....I think he belongs on the left side.

C is Hennessy.  It would be great to bring in some legit competition for him....otherwise he is the only C on the roster.

RG and RT:   Two spots, two players left, McGrary and Gono.  At RT, McGrary is up and coming, but Gono looks more 'there' than Mcgrary does.  Potentially a good RT, McGrary may be better at RG.  So Gono gets RT, while McGrary slides inside to RG.

There you go.   Almost the entire line is on thier rookie deals.  Matthews is the only one approaching 30.   This could be a very good line for a couple years.

Most likely scenario.  Still hedging my bets on us drafting an interior lineman.  Probably some kind of FA invites as well.

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Most likely scenario.  Still hedging my bets on us drafting an interior lineman.  Probably some kind of FA invites as well.

If the league does something for cap-strapped NFL teams, I can see Carpenter staying....but not as a starter.   Except for Gono, our other OL backups looked underwhelming to me....

It would be great if the Falcons could draft one good interior player who can play G and C.   Unfortunately with the demand for O line, we would probably have to overdraft such a player.    Or hope the new regime is good at finding UDFA talent.

It may come down to having backups who are vets, but not very good.....vs rookies who are even worse, but have upside.  Probably some combination.

I don't think Mathews is going anywhere this year atleast but the interesting thing is that we save 13 mil if he is cut or traded after 6/1 or in 2022. I think that lines up well for drafting Sewell since Sewell can fill in at LG easily till then.

Pretty good assessment though based on the strengths of the players. Will be interesting to see how Arthur Smith pieces this line together

7 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

You know, I hope we do fix the line with existing players. 

Those nonexistent ones seem not to show up much! 😏

I wonder if Matt Ryan still has nightmares about his 2013 O line, the one where Sam Baker was our best player until he got hurt....

Our current line isn't doing much better sac wise, but Ryan isn't taking the beating he did in 2013.

52 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

LT is Matthews.  IF we draft Penei Sewell, Matthews might become interesting trade bait, depending on his cap hit... Otherwise Matthews keeps this spot.

Get ready for some shuffling and possibly us moving on from some sacred cows.  New coaches mean there will be some casualties.  I agree that Lindstrom seems a better fit at LG but he could also shift to center if Henny struggled IMO.  

9 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Did you really just shuffle the entire line to either be playing out of their position or get their first "real sniffs" in the NFL (Hennessy and Sewell)? 

I think our line is talented enough to respond to better coaching... I'd rather keep them at their natural positions

Actually the scenario I outlined is not far fetched at all.   I would even be willing to make it a prediction....-if- the team re-signs Gono, as they need to do.

Our line can be much better if players are allowed to play to thier strengths, and as you said with better coaching.   What they all need is a preseason to practice and play together.   Dunno if that happens.

4 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Get ready for some shuffling and possibly us moving on from some sacred cows.  New coaches mean there will be some casualties.  I agree that Lindstrom seems a better fit at LG but he could also shift to center if Henny struggled IMO.  

I tried to avoid the Lindstrom-to-center scenario, because Carpenter just has not looked good.

In the draft Slater is said to be able to play all the O line positions?   Might be worth a 1st to get him if we can.   Not at 4 though.

42 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

I wonder if Matt Ryan still has nightmares about his 2013 O line, the one where Sam Baker was our best player until he got hurt....

Our current line isn't doing much better sac wise, but Ryan isn't taking the beating he did in 2013.

I’m just glad they decided to not go with invisible players. :rolleyes:

I would just draft a guard in round 2-4 to compete with someone in the roster or a B level UFA for the LG spot. I wouldn’t move Lindstrom...he can play anywhere on the line likely, but he excels at RG and was primarily a RG at BC too I believe.

tender Gono and let him have a fair shot at the RT spot. The loser gives us a solid backup tackle.

6 hours ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

A lot of people seem to be sold on Gono. I remember watching him, literally, getting tossed around like a rag doll out there play after play; both run and pass.

I hope I'm wrong and you all are right. 

now why would a bunch of people be high on someone getting tossed around like a rag doll? ok I'll bite, which game was he getting tossed around LITERALLY play after play so I can fire up the game pass and watch

10 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

now why would a bunch of people be high on someone getting tossed around like a rag doll? ok I'll bite, which game was he getting tossed around LITERALLY play after play so I can fire up the game pass and watch

Matt had a mixed season.  He looked really good at RT against the Cowboys and Chargers.  Against the Bears in the 1st half he struggled against Mack but I think it was the scheme some as well.  Against the Chiefs, I know for a fact he did not practice LG since the start of training until the week against the Chiefs.  He has spent maybe a week learning LG in his Falcons career.  Atlanta needs to beef him back up to play G.  He can move well at 335lbs.  He looks 300 now.  He came to Atlanta at 320 and went up to 335.  He's did show good push in the run game.  I don't know if he is or is not better than McGary but he's just as good.  Sign him then will not need to resign McGary to bigger deal down the road.

Edited by Gonobeast

I’m not a fan of McGary at guard. Mostly because I’m snakebit by Garrett Reynolds at guard. 

Tall guys who play tackle don’t usually translate. The 3 interior positions in Smith’s system are a little more interchangeable, so Lindstrom to C or LG makes sense, depending on how Hennessy develops.