Jump to content

Dave Ragone says he’ll set table for Arthur Smith in Atlanta - The Falcoholic


Recommended Posts

by Dave Choate for The Falcoholic

 

When Arthur Smith came to Atlanta, the rampant speculation was that he would call his own plays as he did in Tennessee, with an offensive coordinator hire who would manage the offensive planning ahead of gameday. That’s exactly what happened with the hire of Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone, but today, he confirmed it.

In remarks to the media, Ragone made it clear what the division of labor will be for the offense, though I’m certain there will be some blurring of roles as the two get comfortable working together.

With strategy and planning on his plate, Ragone said he’ll spend quite a bit of time figuring out both individual players and the offense as a whole to understand strengths and weaknesses, but that obviously the talent the Falcons can bring to bear was attractive when he was weighing taking the job.

 

Ragone also talked up Matt Ryan, something we’ve also been seeing quite a bit of from Arthur Smith. That by itself doesn’t mean that Ryan is locked in to the starting job in Atlanta, but frankly we’ve all been assuming that is indeed the case for 2021, and it’s just another piece of evidence.

 

There isn’t much that’s novel here, but it cements what we thought we knew about the arrangement here, and it’s a very different one than the Falcons are used to. Kyle Shanahan, Steve Sarkisian, and Dirk Koetter all appeared to have a ton of autonomy on offense, to the point where Raheem Morris championing Ito Smith as the starting running back late in the year appeared to raise Koetter’s hackles. Here, the head coach will be an offensive-minded one for the first time in many moons, and the offensive coordinator will not be calling plays but will be setting the table, as Ragone put it. If Ragone is good and Smith is as capable of a player caller as he proved to be in Tennessee, the uptick in production from Koetter to this coaching staff could be massive.

All of that is of course hopeful and speculative at the moment, but we’ll see how this partnership works going forward. If nothing else, an offensive-minded head coach focusing on fixing what has ailed this offense over the past few seasons will be very welcome.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

by Dave Choate for The Falcoholic

 

When Arthur Smith came to Atlanta, the rampant speculation was that he would call his own plays as he did in Tennessee, with an offensive coordinator hire who would manage the offensive planning ahead of gameday. That’s exactly what happened with the hire of Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone, but today, he confirmed it.

In remarks to the media, Ragone made it clear what the division of labor will be for the offense, though I’m certain there will be some blurring of roles as the two get comfortable working together.

With strategy and planning on his plate, Ragone said he’ll spend quite a bit of time figuring out both individual players and the offense as a whole to understand strengths and weaknesses, but that obviously the talent the Falcons can bring to bear was attractive when he was weighing taking the job.

 

Ragone also talked up Matt Ryan, something we’ve also been seeing quite a bit of from Arthur Smith. That by itself doesn’t mean that Ryan is locked in to the starting job in Atlanta, but frankly we’ve all been assuming that is indeed the case for 2021, and it’s just another piece of evidence.

 

There isn’t much that’s novel here, but it cements what we thought we knew about the arrangement here, and it’s a very different one than the Falcons are used to. Kyle Shanahan, Steve Sarkisian, and Dirk Koetter all appeared to have a ton of autonomy on offense, to the point where Raheem Morris championing Ito Smith as the starting running back late in the year appeared to raise Koetter’s hackles. Here, the head coach will be an offensive-minded one for the first time in many moons, and the offensive coordinator will not be calling plays but will be setting the table, as Ragone put it. If Ragone is good and Smith is as capable of a player caller as he proved to be in Tennessee, the uptick in production from Koetter to this coaching staff could be massive.

All of that is of course hopeful and speculative at the moment, but we’ll see how this partnership works going forward. If nothing else, an offensive-minded head coach focusing on fixing what has ailed this offense over the past few seasons will be very welcome.

 

 

But, but, but, we have no talent.  We are the least desirable place for a GM/coaching staff.  OMG WE ARE DOOOOMEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think that settles it. That 10+ page debacle of a thread is pretty much dead at this point. OC basically praised Matt and the appeal for him to even come to Atlanta is clearly due to talent on offense at this moment. Would assume our #4 pick will be focused on the team as a whole, and not just QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Click bait part of the article 

Ragone also talked up Matt Ryan, something we’ve also been seeing quite a bit of from Arthur Smith. That by itself doesn’t mean that Ryan is locked in to the starting job in Atlanta, but frankly we’ve all been assuming that is indeed the case for 2021, and it’s just another piece of evidence.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, insight said:

It was disturbing how he said it with so much conviction.  That was my first strike against Rag One on the B.S meter. 

Coaching staff  KO for Trolls.

First Strike: AS talking about Matt Ryan as core and some one to build team around. 

Second strike: OC gushing about his QB and weapons with conviction. 

Third strike: Draft day

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Well I think that settles it. That 10+ page debacle of a thread is pretty much dead at this point. OC basically praised Matt and the appeal for him to even come to Atlanta is clearly due to talent on offense at this moment. Would assume our #4 pick will be focused on the team as a whole, and not just QB.

Biggest needs are O Line, D line, CB and RB. BPA for each of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Coaching staff  KO for Trolls.

First Strike: AS talking about Matt Ryan as core and some one to build team around. 

Second strike: OC gushing about his QB and weapons with conviction. 

Third strike: Draft day

I'm not part of you delusional fantasy Trolls vs Stans.   If the new staff takes a QB with the 4th pick  or choose not to take a QB at all I'm good with it. 

Your acting like the world is going to end if  the Falcons draft another QB with their 1st round pick.  It' not, life goes on buddy. 

Edited by insight
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, insight said:

I'm not part of you delusional fantasy Trolls vs Stans.   If the new staff takes a QB with the 4th pick  or choose not to take a QB at all I'm good with it. 

Your acting like the world is going to end if  the Falcons draft another QB with their 1st round pick.  It' not, life goes on buddy. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472mbnjyj28rkd440esn

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Well I think that settles it. That 10+ page debacle of a thread is pretty much dead at this point. OC basically praised Matt and the appeal for him to even come to Atlanta is clearly due to talent on offense at this moment. Would assume our #4 pick will be focused on the team as a whole, and not just QB.

Smoke screen!

You've been Fontentenedtded. 

Trading Ryan for all the top picks. Consider #2 to Ra-GONE!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hard Case said:

Biggest needs are O Line, D line, CB and RB. BPA for each of them.

I'd say OL is fine. Not having to pass block for 10 seconds will help a for those guys upfront. 

I agree with DL, CB, and RB though. Just not that order. Depending on what they do with Neal(hopefully retained), I would say safety(FS) is our biggest need, and follow that up with CB/RB. We definitely need another EDGE rusher. Hoping Fowler can shine with a scheme that may fit him better. BPA no matter what position is still okay with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...