Why not just sign a veteran QB when Matt Ryan retires?

12 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Well actually it’s because franchise QBs don’t go into free agency. Tom Brady wanted to leave NE and they wanted to move on from him that is very rare plus he’s 43 no franchise QBs go into strait up free agency

LMAO. Brady, Tannehill, Rivers and others switched in the last couple years. Watson is trying to this year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because people like shiny objects. 

Don't be silly.  Chris Chandler isn't going to take you to a Super Bowl.

Like we did with Chris Chandler

22 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Because TATF Mocker Fockers and Tanker Boys believe there's only one way to build a team. Through the draft.

First, I did not know you were a drama queen.  Mocker Fockers?  Really?  How old are you?

I believe we need to build this team through the draft and FA.  And, I add FA to that only because we have some holes to fill.  But, the draft is the way to build a solid team that can compete consistently.  You cannot create a winner with poor drafting and good FA signings.   So, why not prove you point to folks like me who believe it holds no merit.  List the FAs the Falcons have signed over the years and how they helped this team.

I will help you get started.

Michael Turner - His power and speed transformed the offense into a true balanced attack. 

OK, you are up.

18 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Saints and Brees, Broncos and Manning, Brady and Bucs

Manning and Brady were not back ups when they changed teams. 

Brees was a backup for Flutie for one season.  After that, he moved up to 1, back down to 2, back up to 1.  The Chargers were not happy with their QBs.  Phillip Rivers was drafted and became the starter.  As with Flutie, Brees again took the number 1 spot.  Eventually, he lost that to Rivers.  At the end of his contract, the Chargers tried to sign Brees for 5 more years.  Apparently, they thought he was good at that point.  Brees got a better contract with the Saints.  He was not your typical backup QB carrying a clipboard and sitting on the bench.  He competed with Flutie and Rivers for the starting position and gave them a run.

The prototypical backup QB carrying the clipboard, running the other teams offense during practice, and sitting on the bench during the games is very unlikely to take a team to the playoffs.  They are simply not at that level.  They need a top 10 defense and a top 10 running game to manage a team to the playoffs.  If we have a top 10 defense and a top 10 running game, most of the QBs available in the draft can get us to the playoffs. But, so can Matt Ryan.

I have really searched for the logic in this idea of trading away Ryan and taking a QB at #4 or signing a vet, and I simply cannot see the benefit to taking that gamble.  Draft a QB in '22 and see what he has during Ryan's last season or two.

For those of you who have not heard, the Falcons problems in 2020 were created by Dirk Koetter.  It is beyond my comprehension how a fan cannot see this.  I expect fans who do not study the game to miss details that do not flash.  But, to miss that our routes stopped opening, our OL could not play in the second half of games, and our defense became defenseless in the second half of games is inexplicable.  Do you know what caused those things to happen?

19 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

First, I did not know you were a drama queen.  Mocker Fockers?  Really?  How old are you?

I believe we need to build this team through the draft and FA.  And, I add FA to that only because we have some holes to fill.  But, the draft is the way to build a solid team that can compete consistently.  You cannot create a winner with poor drafting and good FA signings.   So, why not prove you point to folks like me who believe it holds no merit.  List the FAs the Falcons have signed over the years and how they helped this team.

I will help you get started.

Michael Turner - His power and speed transformed the offense into a true balanced attack. 

OK, you are up.

Chris Chandler, Terrance Mathis, Tony Martin, William White, Cornelius Bennett, Warrick Dunn, Asante Samuel, Ray Buchanan, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Bryant, Morten Andersen. Jeff George was good QB in my opinion but our defense was so bad just like it is now.

With that said I'd take Trevor Lawrence in a heartbeat. I would feel real good about the Falcons future if by some miracle he landed at 4.

But at the end of the day if and when we draft a QB I feel good knowing we have a brilliant offensive minded head coach to coach him.

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Chris Chandler, Terrance Mathis, Tony Martin, William White, Cornelius Bennett, Warrick Dunn, Asante Samuel, Ray Buchanan, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Bryant, Morten Andersen. Jeff George was good QB in my opinion but our defense was so bad just like it is now.

With that said I'd take Trevor Lawrence in a heartbeat. I would feel real good about the Falcons future if by some miracle he landed at 4.

But at the end of the day if and when we draft a QB I feel good knowing we have a brilliant offensive minded head coach to coach him.

OK.  I agree with Chandler, Mathis, Martin, and Gonzalez.  And, since I was not thinking I should take kickers out of the discussion, I will give you Bryant and Andersen.  That is 6 of 12. That is a 50% win on your selected FA signings.  Throw in all the other FA signings during that time frame and you will see why I prefer good drafting.  My guess is that the success rate drops below 25%.  Successful drafting is around 50% for some teams.

I agree the premise looks good.  You are getting a veteran who has experience.  You have game recordings showing the player in competition.  It sounds like a safe bet.  Unfortunately, there is nothing safe about it. Remember Peerless "Alligator Arms" Price?  What was the underwear models name who could not rush the QB?  Does anyone remember Todd Gurley?  Stephen Jackson? Tyson Jackson? Dunta Robinson?  Ed Hartwell?

Does anyone have a count of Falcons FA good signing versus busts?  I would like to know now.  I am confident the success rate is quite low.

As I see it, there are 2 downsides to that approach.

Firstly, many veterans have a very short window for success - especially the very top guys like Brady and Peyton etc who were very late in their careers when released. As Terry Fontenot said last week, your best chance to succeed is to be consistently competitive. Selling out for a 2 year window is very risky.

Secondly, the vast majority of veteran QBs are overpaid in cap terms. I read a book about the salary cap recently which suggested than only the top 3-4 QB are worth top of the market money and QBs  in the 4-16 range were all overpaid relative to performance and basically holding their teams back. I think there is merit in that argument.

1 hour ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Manning and Brady were not back ups when they changed teams. 

Brees was a backup for Flutie for one season.  After that, he moved up to 1, back down to 2, back up to 1.  The Chargers were not happy with their QBs.  Phillip Rivers was drafted and became the starter.  As with Flutie, Brees again took the number 1 spot.  Eventually, he lost that to Rivers.  At the end of his contract, the Chargers tried to sign Brees for 5 more years.  Apparently, they thought he was good at that point.  Brees got a better contract with the Saints.  He was not your typical backup QB carrying a clipboard and sitting on the bench.  He competed with Flutie and Rivers for the starting position and gave them a run.

The prototypical backup QB carrying the clipboard, running the other teams offense during practice, and sitting on the bench during the games is very unlikely to take a team to the playoffs.  They are simply not at that level.  They need a top 10 defense and a top 10 running game to manage a team to the playoffs.  If we have a top 10 defense and a top 10 running game, most of the QBs available in the draft can get us to the playoffs. But, so can Matt Ryan.

I have really searched for the logic in this idea of trading away Ryan and taking a QB at #4 or signing a vet, and I simply cannot see the benefit to taking that gamble.  Draft a QB in '22 and see what he has during Ryan's last season or two.

For those of you who have not heard, the Falcons problems in 2020 were created by Dirk Koetter.  It is beyond my comprehension how a fan cannot see this.  I expect fans who do not study the game to miss details that do not flash.  But, to miss that our routes stopped opening, our OL could not play in the second half of games, and our defense became defenseless in the second half of games is inexplicable.  Do you know what caused those things to happen?

Completely blanked out the back up part when reading that post, my b.

Bruh the Panthers are going to get Watson aren’t they

Soon as one HOF QB (that has been in the division since Ryan got here) retires, in comes the freaking GOAT. But then he can only last another year or two, so of course Watson must enter the picture. Would be just our luck

4 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Bruh the Panthers are going to get Watson aren’t they

Soon as one HOF QB (that has been in the division since Ryan got here) retires, in comes the freaking GOAT. But then he can only last another year or two, so of course Watson must enter the picture. Would be just our luck

To be the best you got to beat the best.