Why not just sign a veteran QB when Matt Ryan retires?

38 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Don’t want to draft a QB at 4 or even high this year but the answer is money.  The only enticing thing about drafting a QB is the rookie contract vs. what you’d have to pay a good veteran.

But Ryan’s contract ain’t going nowhere if we draft a QB and to park a pick behind him would be wasting some of the rookie contract years.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because people like shiny objects. 

Don't be silly.  Chris Chandler isn't going to take you to a Super Bowl.

Like we did with Chris Chandler

On 4/22/2009 at 11:18 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

.Those teams don't just build through the draft bro. Check their FA acquisitions over the years and get back with me.There are pessimists, realists, optimists and blind loyalists. I am a realist.

As far as doubting TD, he has been a ghost in FA this year and has some low round picks this weekend. A far cry from 2008. Realism son.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Because TATF Mocker Fockers and Tanker Boys believe there's only one way to build a team. Through the draft.

You consistent son of a *****.

What veteran QB was picked up to be the starter and has won a SB in the last 20 years? Trent Dilfer was picked up as a back up and then got the starting job so he doesn't exactly fit the criteria as stated, same with Nick Foles. The only QBs that this worked with was a future HOFer in Peyton who was essentially a mannequin during his SB year and had an elite defense, they could've tossed any of us out there as QB and they still would have beaten the panthers. The second QB to fit this would be Brad Johnson who did play well, the Bucs also had the best defense in the league that year too though I believe. 

So if we go off the last 20 years taking a vet could work if we have a top 3 defense, but in most instances those veteran QBs sucked and got carried by an elite defense so you may as well just draft a rookie and save the money. 

Edited by TheHeartless
2 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Let me ask you a couple questions? Exactly how much longer do you feel Matt Ryan can play for? How close do you feel we are to being a championship caliber team? What would you rank Ryan amongst other QBs, right now today?

Your assertion of keeping Ryan planted as the starting QB while we build a championship team around him is not only flawed, but counter to the goal you just stated. What exactly are you expecting other teams to be doing while we're building our championship squad? Forfeiting all of their draft picks and not get better themselves?

In order to make it to the SB, you have to first win your conference. The fact of the matter is we were dead last in our conference this season, which means we're not close. We're not one player away, two players or even three players away from being a championship caliber team, but you have to start adding the big blocks whenever you are given the opportunity to.

We have to stop looking backwards for solutions, and most importantly telling ourselves that our past is our future. I think it's perfectly clear that MR2 will be our QB for at least one more season, which is perfectly fine by me, but to look at him as some kind of future solution, is ignoring the signs of his decline. I love MR2, hands down best QB in our franchise's history, but he is not the player he was 2 seasons ago.

We are in salary cap ****, which means we can't pull a Tampa and bring in all the right pieces to build a quick champion. This is a long term fix, and Ryan doesn't have enough time left on the clock to be apart of that end product. Sorry to tell y'all.

Matt Ryan 3-4 years. If Arthur Smith and Dean pees are good I expect a playoff birth in 2021 and a possible super bowl run in 2022-2023.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Don't be silly.  Chris Chandler isn't going to take you to a Super Bowl.

I definitely agree.   After all, Chandler is over 50 by now....😜

Maybe we could look for a younger vet?   How about that guy that used to play here, Favre....  or that Vick guy?   

Vick's a spring chicken compared to Chandler and Favre......🙄

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

But Ryan’s contract ain’t going nowhere if we draft a QB and to park a pick behind him would be wasting some of the rookie contract years.

Oh I agree.  That’s why we shouldn’t invest in a rookie at # 4 now.  Maybe a 4th rounder.  Just saying I’d eventually draft one rather than pay let’s say a Jared Golf 20 mil or more a year.  

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Exactly.

Some think that a really good-great QB can cure cancer.

For some good-great QBs who've won SBs, there are also many who haven't. That's mainly because of the deficiency of their overall team.

People give Brady most of the credit for the Bucs, but don't realize that this is the most talented team overall that he's had in his career.

Easily. Brady has had top ten defenses for most of his career. He threw 3 INTs in the NFCCG and won. That's never happened before. Because his defense was legit. 

I'm not remotely opposed to drafting a QB.  It makes fiscal sense.  But. Other fiscal matters are in play for the Falcons.  My gut tells me we get a Vet backup, have Benkert as the 3 this season (if Benkert makes the team) and we draft a kid first round if we can trade down.  I just don't know if the Falcons will go QB at 4.  I just have this feeling they'd rather trade down.  I have no evidence of that desire. Just a feeling.

15 hours ago, vel said:

Given the high number of QBs coming out every year, there is going to be an overflow and market inefficiency of QBs. The Bucs were able to stash Josh Rosen behind Brady. Rosen is a very talented QB who never got a fair shake. If he pans out after getting time to learn from the best, the rest of the NFL will be kicking themselves. Titans turned Tannehill around after putting him in a stable offense. A guy like Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones could come available after being stuck in such shlt situations. But a great team for the next QB. 

Rosen isn't a Buc, he's a 9er.

18 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Like the Saints are doing with Jameis Winston, like the Bucs are doing with Tom Brady, like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning, like the Vikings did with Brett Favre, like the Chiefs did with Joe Montana like the Colts did with Phillip Rivers and now possibly Matt Stafford. By the time Matt Ryan retires 3-5 years from now someone like Aaron Rogers, D Watson, Russ Wilson or Derek Carr could be available for a 2 year deal.

This would be good for fans who want Matt Ryan to retire a Falcon and give him every opportunity to win a championship without wasting a draft pick on a QB. Draft the new QB when we have the veteran QB. That's what I would do. 

Because the Falcons have historically been a flash in the pan.  Fans want a consistent team.  We could have been that if we addressed some issues in time.  Now, we need to build for the long term.  We will not win a Lombardi in 2021.  We will become competitive in 2022.  We could win a SB in 2-5 years.  So why bring in an expensive, veteran QB who will retire as we are getting close to the trophy?

We have been burned in FA so much, so often, I am getting to be averse to it.  I think Turner was the last FA signing I really liked.

We need to get a QB in the 2022 draft.

Edited by NorthGaBoy
2 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Why not trade MR2 and our 1st rd pick (and a 2nd next year) to HOU for Deshawn Watson

Thats a debilitating amount to trade.  The contracts have to clash somehow.  And really, Houston wouldn't make that trade at this point.  Couple of years ago, maybe.

1.  Instantly you may end up paying more money if he is a top QB.

2. Top veteran QBs don't just become available.  Sure, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Winston, Tyrod Taylor, Newton or Rivers types will be available, is that what you want?  Every so often you get a Cousins or Tannehill...Bridgewater may be "Ok" in another year.

21 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Because TATF Mocker Fockers and Tanker Boys believe there's only one way to build a team. Through the draft.

Well actually it’s because franchise QBs don’t go into free agency. Tom Brady wanted to leave NE and they wanted to move on from him that is very rare plus he’s 43 no franchise QBs go into strait up free agency