Why not just sign a veteran QB when Matt Ryan retires?

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

because most veteran QBs are available because they suck

True, unless the team is good with developing and salvaging QBs.

People tend to forget that Steve Young was labeled a bust after being a 1st overall pick in the supplemental draft for the Bucs.

Niners traded for him to sit a few years behind Montana for 2 of those SB titles before going on to replace Montana and getting a SB of his own as the starting QB with a HOF career.

.....or the Falcons can luck up like the Saints and find a Drew Brees situation lol.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because people like shiny objects. 

Don't be silly.  Chris Chandler isn't going to take you to a Super Bowl.

Like we did with Chris Chandler

46 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Like the Saints are doing with Jameis Winston, like the Bucs are doing with Tom Brady, like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning, like the Vikings did with Brett Favre, like the Chiefs did with Joe Montana like the Colts did with Phillip Rivers and now possibly Matt Stafford. By the time Matt Ryan retires 3-5 years from now someone like Aaron Rogers, D Watson, Russ Wilson or Derek Carr could be available for a 2 year deal.

This would be good for fans who want Matt Ryan to retire a Falcon and give him every opportunity to win a championship without wasting a draft pick on a QB. Draft the new QB when we have the veteran QB. That's what I would do. 

Let me ask you a couple questions? Exactly how much longer do you feel Matt Ryan can play for? How close do you feel we are to being a championship caliber team? What would you rank Ryan amongst other QBs, right now today?

Your assertion of keeping Ryan planted as the starting QB while we build a championship team around him is not only flawed, but counter to the goal you just stated. What exactly are you expecting other teams to be doing while we're building our championship squad? Forfeiting all of their draft picks and not get better themselves?

In order to make it to the SB, you have to first win your conference. The fact of the matter is we were dead last in our conference this season, which means we're not close. We're not one player away, two players or even three players away from being a championship caliber team, but you have to start adding the big blocks whenever you are given the opportunity to.

We have to stop looking backwards for solutions, and most importantly telling ourselves that our past is our future. I think it's perfectly clear that MR2 will be our QB for at least one more season, which is perfectly fine by me, but to look at him as some kind of future solution, is ignoring the signs of his decline. I love MR2, hands down best QB in our franchise's history, but he is not the player he was 2 seasons ago.

We are in salary cap ****, which means we can't pull a Tampa and bring in all the right pieces to build a quick champion. This is a long term fix, and Ryan doesn't have enough time left on the clock to be apart of that end product. Sorry to tell y'all.

Edited by Frank_The_Tank

Who’s to say the Falcons won’t go that way when Ryan is ready to retire. Of course, it helps if there is an actual veteran QB available that is good enough to win. Before Ryan came along, the Falcons had to find a replacement for Vick, and there were no decent signal callers available, so, we ended up with Chris Redman, Joey Harrington, and eventually Byron Leftwich; there was no Matthew Stafford type of guy waiting to be traded for. I can’t even imagine who the Falcons would be able to consider in 3-5 years, but I’m certain Aaron Rodgers is not going to be on that list. 

19 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There is always a couple of good quarterbacks leaving a bad team. Matt Stafford would do well if you put him on a solid team which hopefully Terry Fontenont will turn us into.

They cost Biguns! Rookie wage scale with a hit on a drafted QB can ride a team to the bowl!

5 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Let me ask you a couple questions? Exactly how much longer do you feel Matt Ryan can play for? How close do you feel we are to being a championship caliber team? What would you rank Ryan amongst other QBs, right now today?

Your assertion of keeping Ryan planted as the starting QB while we build a championship team around him is not only flawed, but counter to the goal you just stated. What exactly are you expecting other teams to be doing while we're building our championship squad? Forfeiting all of their draft picks and not get better themselves?

In order to make it to the SB, you have to first win your conference. The fact of the matter is we were dead last in our conference this season, which means we're not close. We're not one player away, two players or even three players away from being a championship caliber team, but you have to start adding the big blocks whenever you are given the opportunity to.

We have to stop looking backwards for solutions, and most importantly telling ourselves that our past is our future. I think it's perfectly clear that MR2 will be our QB for at least one more season, which is perfectly fine by me, but to look at him as some kind of future solution, is ignoring the signs of his decline. I love MR2, hands down best QB in our franchise's history, but he is not the player he was 2 seasons ago.

We are in salary cap ****, which means we can't pull a Tampa and bring in all the right pieces to build a quick champion. This is a long term fix, and Ryan doesn't have enough time left on the clock to be apart of that end product. Sorry to tell y'all.

You're right, maybe.  But, his salary says he's staying.  For a few years.  May as well build a solid team around him while developing a future QB.  

51 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Like the Saints are doing with Jameis Winston, like the Bucs are doing with Tom Brady, like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning, like the Vikings did with Brett Favre, like the Chiefs did with Joe Montana like the Colts did with Phillip Rivers and now possibly Matt Stafford. By the time Matt Ryan retires 3-5 years from now someone like Aaron Rogers, D Watson, Russ Wilson or Derek Carr could be available for a 2 year deal.

This would be good for fans who want Matt Ryan to retire a Falcon and give him every opportunity to win a championship without wasting a draft pick on a QB. Draft the new QB when we have the veteran QB. That's what I would do. 

Because Ryan haters love to get rid of him. Mockers continue their shilling for unproven players, but never talk about busts in their mock drafts. 

52 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The priority should be winning a championship,  not seeing whether it can be done with Matt Ryan.  He’s 0-13 in that category.

18 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True, unless the team is good with developing and salvaging QBs.

People tend to forget that Steve Young was labeled a bust after being a 1st overall pick in the supplemental draft for the Bucs.

Niners traded for him to sit a few years behind Montana for 2 of those SB titles before going on to replace Montana and getting a SB of his own as the starting QB with a HOF career.

.....or the Falcons can luck up like the Saints and find a Drew Brees situation lol.

JIm Plunkett was labeled a bust before he joined the Raiders. Doug Williams had to suffer in Tampa before he made his way to Washington. Kurt Warner got canned by St. Louis, and the Giants before he made his way to AZ and got back to the big game. I’m sure there are others that I’m not thinking about.

56 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Because with the rookie salaries capped it is easier to field a great team around a rookie QB vs an average team around a veteran QB.

6 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

JIm Plunkett was labeled a bust before he joined the Raiders. Doug Williams had to suffer in Tampa before he made his way to Washington. Kurt Warner got canned by St. Louis, and the Giants before he made his way to AZ and got back to the big game. I’m sure there are others that I’m not thinking about.

Even Farve was given up on by Glanville and the Falcons.

Traded to GB, never looked back.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Even Farve was given up on by Glanville and the Falcons.

Traded to GB, never looked back.

Yep, Farve was a lucky dude to get out of Atlanta and to land in GB.

Other notable QBs that found huge success on another team late in their careers was Brad Johnson going to Tampa, and Rich Gannon in Oakland; both benefitted from going to teams with really good defense.

Matt is done. If we just want to be a playoff team, then Matt is good enough.  But to win the Lombardi, Matt requires a ready made team which unfortunately we cannot do till Matt and Julio are off the books.

Matt of today could absolutely win the Super Bowl with the 2015 Broncos but I doubt he can win with today's Colts or even Tampa.

2 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

How many of those veteran back up QB's ever won a super bowl, let alone even played in one? 

You have your answer... 

Manning, Brady, Dilfer, Johnson, Garrapolo, Chandler, Brees, Warner, Hasselbach, Delhomme, Gannon, Humphries, Williams, Young, Plunkett, Kilmer, Morrall, Favre, Lamonica, Dawson and Jaworski were all signed by teams as vets and played in Super Bowls. Most of em won one.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Manning, Brady, Dilfer, Johnson, Garrapolo, Chandler, Brees, Warner, Hasselbach, Delhomme, Gannon, Humphries, Williams Plunkett, Kilmer, Morrall, Lamonica, Dawson and Jaworski were all signed by teams as vets and played in Super Bowls. Many of em won one.

10 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Yep, Farve was a lucky dude to get out of Atlanta and to land in GB.

Other notable QBs that found huge success on another team late in their careers was Brad Johnson going to Tampa, and Rich Gannon in Oakland; both benefitted from going to teams with really good defense.

Nick Foles(Came back to Philly as a FA playing elsewhere. Short lived, but won a SB and SB MVP)

Craig Morton

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

You're right, maybe.  But, his salary says he's staying.  For a few years.  May as well build a solid team around him while developing a future QB.  

And I agree with you 100%

But the only way to do that is to draft a QB to develop, not keep kicking the can with MR2

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Shanny and the Niners snagged Rosen from the Bucs practice squad a few weeks before the season ended.

I think Shanny is trying to develop him.

I missed that but makes sense. You don't necessarily have to take a QB top ten to win. It's a first round investment most times, but there are available QBs. Build a very balanced and complete team and a QB can play and win. But folks want a QB to overcome shortcomings of a poorly built roster and then get mad when he can't. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I missed that but makes sense. You don't necessarily have to take a QB top ten to win. It's a first round investment most times, but there are available QBs. Build a very balanced and complete team and a QB can play and win. But folks want a QB to overcome shortcomings of a poorly built roster and then get mad when he can't. 

Exactly.

Some think that a really good-great QB can cure cancer.

For some good-great QBs who've won SBs, there are also many who haven't. That's mainly because of the deficiency of their overall team.

People give Brady most of the credit for the Bucs, but don't realize that this is the most talented team overall that he's had in his career.

55 minutes ago, vel said:

Maybe then they will blame the roster or coaching...and actually figure out “why” instead of glossing it over.

Hopefully, we build a team that a QB can come in and pick up whenever Ryan leaves. It’s been bottom-dwelling since 2012 ended; and a one-sided team with the right coach for the offense got us to 28-3 in the SB...

43 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

And I agree with you 100%

But the only way to do that is to draft a QB to develop, not keep kicking the can with MR2

Absolutely.  Doesnt have to be done at #4.  That pick can literally set us up for a couple of years with extra picks.