Why not just sign a veteran QB when Matt Ryan retires?

Like the Saints are doing with Jameis Winston, like the Bucs are doing with Tom Brady, like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning, like the Vikings did with Brett Favre, like the Chiefs did with Joe Montana like the Colts did with Phillip Rivers and now possibly Matt Stafford. By the time Matt Ryan retires 3-5 years from now someone like Aaron Rogers, D Watson, Russ Wilson or Derek Carr could be available for a 2 year deal.

This would be good for fans who want Matt Ryan to retire a Falcon and give him every opportunity to win a championship without wasting a draft pick on a QB. Draft the new QB when we have the veteran QB. That's what I would do. 

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Like the Saints are doing with Jameis Winston, like the Bucs are doing with Tom Brady, like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning, like the Vikings did with Brett Favre, like the Chiefs did with Joe Montana like the Colts did with Phillip Rivers and now possibly Matt Stafford. By the time Matt Ryan retires 3-5 years from now someone like Aaron Rogers, D Watson, Russ Wilson or Derek Carr could be available for a 2 year deal.

This would be good for fans who want Matt Ryan to retire a Falcon and give him every opportunity to win a championship without wasting a draft pick on a QB. Draft the new QB when we have the veteran QB. That's what I would do. 

isn't that what we have now? :huh:

6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

How many of those veteran back up QB's ever won a super bowl, let alone even played in one? 

You have your answer... 

I would be all for a FA QB, but I think it's more about availability at that exact time to go that route. Like if 2024 is the year you're expecting Ryan to retire, then Joe Burrow, Goff, or Herbert would have to be available for me to decide to do that. Otherwise just draft a guy either before that or in 2024.

Given the high number of QBs coming out every year, there is going to be an overflow and market inefficiency of QBs. The Bucs were able to stash Josh Rosen behind Brady. Rosen is a very talented QB who never got a fair shake. If he pans out after getting time to learn from the best, the rest of the NFL will be kicking themselves. Titans turned Tannehill around after putting him in a stable offense. A guy like Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones could come available after being stuck in such shlt situations. But a great team for the next QB. 

Ok I'm not supposed to talk about this but it's time to stop all the conjecture and rumors.

About ten years ago Arthur Blank spliced together DNA from Matt Ryan and Michael Vick. In a secret lab under antarctica he has created a small army of caramel colored super quarterbacks. By the time Ryan retires they will be ready to take over.

I know it's gonna get me in trouble but for the sake of fan unity, you all need to know.

Just now, vel said:

Given the high number of QBs coming out every year, there is going to be an overflow and market inefficiency of QBs. The Bucs were able to stash Josh Rosen behind Brady. Rosen is a very talented QB who never got a fair shake. If he pans out after getting time to learn from the best, the rest of the NFL will be kicking themselves. Titans turned Tannehill around after putting him in a stable offense. A guy like Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones could come available after being stuck in such shlt situations. But a great team for the next QB. 

Shanny and the Niners snagged Rosen from the Bucs practice squad a few weeks before the season ended.

I think Shanny is trying to develop him.

14 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

How many of those veteran back up QB's ever won a super bowl, let alone even played in one? 

You have your answer... 

Tom Brady has the opportunity in 2 weeks. But the veteran QB is more of a bridge to the new QB. That way we don't have to give up a high draft pick if we want to go all out for Matt Ryan the last few years of his career. He deserves it in my opinion as does Julio if he can stay healthy.