A TDWII Observation: A QB at #4 is only move if you’re Terry Fontenot...

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’m sure there’s other forums that operate that way. You know this.... the rules are the rules, and you’ve got to have someone manage accordingly.  I mean, it’s not like these guys are being paid. So if I had a big problem with the way they manage the ‘system’ I’d just leave and find another one that meets my criteria. 

When the rules are selectively applied, not based on the action,  but by the subject...then call it what it is.  Not a Code of Conduct,  but an exercise in implementing ‘groupthink’.  

I abide by the rules here.  I got a 30 day suspension for bumping a thread.  It was deleted and I made another thread commenting on that action.  Where in the CoC does it state that not being permitted?  Meanwhile, someone insinuates I was molested as a child...?  Nothing?  Have you ever met someone this happened to?  Let me assure you, it’s not a joking matter.  Yet the greater crime here was bumping a thread or using the term ‘nuthugger’.

If that made the Mod in question feel powerful...so be it.   But since that action happened to me, I’m also within my right to comment on it as well.  Privately or publicly.

As to the original point, if the task of enforcing these rules is so onerous, why are they in place, particularly since it’s an unpaid role?  Do we really need to move a thread because it’s not Falcons related?  If we want to talk NFL, NCAA, Draft, do we need to be so spoon fed that our eyes need to be protected from such crime like off-Falcon topic discussion?

We’re all Falcons fans here...they’ll likely be the primary topic of discussion, even if it’s contentious.

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Meanwhile, someone insinuates I was molested as a child...?  Nothing?  Have you ever met someone this happened to?  Let me assure you, it’s not a joking matter. 

On this, I agree you have a grievance.

And to answer your question, yes I have.

Just now, TheDirtyWordII said:

Who over the last 8 years won the same amount of games as our dominant franchise.

Really? How many playoff games did they win? Because I thought I heard somewhere that they haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.

We should TOTALLY mimic that team with our personnel decisions!

Maybe we could do so poorly that Julio retroactively retires at 30 rather than put up with terrible team management!

It's pretty simple. The Falcons have been losing due to a lack of run game and defense. I'm gonna use the OP's genius starting point of 2013 season and onward.

It's a more nuanced and intricate topic for the OP; I know, but we'll try an "EIL5" approach:

Run ball = Wear Diaper for Baby defense. Protect them.

Good DEFENSE = Potty trained. Take off Diaper. Big Boy now. Protect lead.

:wiggle:

Now for those wanting to live in reality as adults; here is where we start dissection...

Since 2013:

Two times has the team had a run game above league average in Yards.

2016 and 2017

^Both times the team made the playoffs.

^Improve run game, protect leads by shortening games; instead of relying on shootouts with the kind of defense shown below:

Defense since 2013 using PER drive averages...

Time / Plays / Yards / Points

31 / 29 / 29 / 32

32 / 32 / 32 / 30

19 / 29 / 27 / 17 (Best defense of Quinn era in Points allowed per drive, 2015...only defense close to league average since 2013)

27 / 29 / 26 / 28 (Drug kicking and screaming to the SB by historic offense)

32 / 32 / 25 / 20 (The "amazing" 2017 defense...lol)

30 / 30 / 30 / 30 (the "Ryan MVP production match" year; undone by ... you guessed it. No Diaper and a Baby Defense)

21 / 25 / 25 / 27 (Historically bad defense during 1-7 start to season...6-2 2nd half...but Dirk was back lol)

11 / 16 / 27 / 21 (amazingly...could be better with a run game and talent infusion...hmm)

Let me SHOUT this to the ego that is TDWII (if it can be reached my good chap!):

AVERAGE POINTS (your best friend) allowed PER DRIVE during YOUR beloved time frame is...

Bottom 3rd of LEAGUE

^Now let’s look at Offense POINTS per drive during this time counting backward (I know its hard keep up)

7 (run game, 1st year OC)

1 (run game, top 10 offense all time)

10th on average

5th w/ WCO coach...12.5 w/ Dirk

With a run game 2 years only. And Dirk Koetter in 3 of the 4 rankings below 10.

If you score more you may win more, but improving that defense is step one. Protecting them with a run game; which LIKELY gets your scoring back to top5 in the league?

I'll let you connect the dots.

/thread lol

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

This is the crux of the 2021 season for the Falcons. At some point the stadium will be open at max capacity, but the team wasn't drawing very well before the pandemic.

Now reeling under the past two depressing seasons, it's probably going to take more than just a new GM and HC to rejuvenate the passion of the fans. Some may not even be adding this aspect into the equation, but taking one of the highly rated and highly publicized young guns would really pump up the fan base.

It's difficult to see how, all other factors being equal, the new GM would pass on a franchise-quality QB and risk not having a good year AND the fans not having that exciting young QB waiting to come to the rescue for the next season.

As sound as it might seem to trade down and get a bunch of extra picks, even if they aren't all busts or just average, they aren't likely to be pro bowlers in their first two or three years either. Redemption is coming, but probably not next year in terms of W-L record.

So it's hard to see how more picks equals a play-off team in 2021. Many weeks and thousands of vapid, redundant and banal posts about it will be made before we know what the ultimate decision will be.

I will continue to express my pro-QB opinion with vigor and veracity, but also with the inner faith that whatever AS and TF decide to do is going to be the exact-right move to make and players to take.

This is my thought process as well. Yeah the new GM/HC are great for the AFMB types but there are just some fans out there that are attracted to a big name to draw more ticket sales. Yeah JJ is that outside the Falcon community but it will be tough for the average Falcon fan in ATL to come out in droves to support a player that plays sparsely through the year. Thus is why I advocate for Fields. He is from GA and I think he will be a playmaker regardless of what others might say, but that is my opinion. If TF doesn't pull the trigger on QB then so be it, but I get tired of the excuse of if MR goes down we are screwed anyways. Suppose we go 10-0 this next year to start the season and *knock on wood it doesn't happen* MR is lost to a season ending injury, then we don't have a viable backup that could win us games on the roster. Yeah Fields may fall flat and not amount to an NFL QB, but the same argument folks are making about QB draft busts could work in the other direction as well. Im pro QB but if not at 4 then fix the D.

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Not going to happen unless you can get something significant in a trade for Ryan. Arthur Smith has already said he will focus on building a strong running game to set up play action pass which Ryan excels at. 

Agree with the run game and establishing the line, but we definitely have the pieces on oline (except LG) to get the WCO running. I dont think we are far off on the offensive side. Maybe the biggest hole being to shore up a RB in the 2nd/3rd would do it for me personally. 

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Truth is, I think we're drafting Wilson unless we trade down, I also think we'll be drafting QB again in just a couple of years if we do. 

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

wow. Drafting again in two years is concerning.

It's the price we all feared: When you have no choice but to draft a QB because you don't have one.

manning.jpg.f9279c687547fcff2cc8d4c940041a1f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Not going to happen unless you can get something significant in a trade for Ryan. Arthur Smith has already said he will focus on building a strong running game to set up play action pass which Ryan excels at. 

At the same time...seems awfully uncommitted to Ryan (and Julio for that matter)...while recognizing Derrick Henry matters.

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

At the same time...seems awfully uncommitted to Ryan (and Julio for that matter)...while recognizing Derrick Henry matters.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Their words only matter if I can infer they imply something I want to believe WILL happen.

image.jpeg.820dc4895cb2f9305ab4390ad47f3f53.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Thiccolas Cage said:

Agree with the run game and establishing the line, but we definitely have the pieces on oline (except LG) to get the WCO running. I dont think we are far off on the offensive side. Maybe the biggest hole being to shore up a RB in the 2nd/3rd would do it for me personally. 

Hopefully Hennessy will live up be a strong center. Not sure of Mack’s future. 

8 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I think it would be a waste of a pic at #4 considering how Smith wants to build the team. Sounds like he wants to build it from the inside out. Thankfully 

Just now, Black Francis said:

Hopefully Hennessy will live up be a strong center. Not sure of Mack’s future. 

Yeah man I hope he shakes out because he seemed like a great prospect coming out of Temple. I think Ledford is going to do work with the online and allow them to play to their strengths. Losing Mack is a true loss but I think it's time to give the young guy a shot and hope he learned something from Mack last season. Hopefully we can get a solid LG on the cheap in FA.

15 minutes ago, Thiccolas Cage said:

Yeah man I hope he shakes out because he seemed like a great prospect coming out of Temple. I think Ledford is going to do work with the online and allow them to play to their strengths. Losing Mack is a true loss but I think it's time to give the young guy a shot and hope he learned something from Mack last season. Hopefully we can get a solid LG on the cheap in FA.

Has Mack officially retired? I think he’s still on the fence. 

5 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Has Mack officially retired? I think he’s still on the fence. 

It's a money thing, too for the Falcons...let's just be real. Maybe the idea of one more run in a WCO with emphasis on ZBS to fi the personnel gets him to buy in for 1 year with a 2nd year minimal dead cap as he retires?

Maybe. Hennessy will need to improve either way; unless we get more options at C. I didn't like McCray at all. Gono should've gotten his reps

EDIT: wrt Gono...he's been groomed to play T more and isn't as bulky as he should be for OG. @Gonobeast knows all too well.

Reminds me of Garland as a run blocker...great, but terrible pass blocking at OG comparatively to quicker ends because they have the athleticism for OT more so than the power inside when asked to anchor. That worked when we had a balanced offense...covering weaknesses on the OL. Swap to Dirk...invest in the OL and ask them to be heroes day 1 but don't install a reliable run scheme. It's merely attempts with Dirk.

14 minutes ago, BadMoonRising said:

People saying we taking a QB at 4 are just spreading fake news. We will take one in the later rounds eventually be developed.

Yep. Everyone knows that Ryan will eventually be replaced but you don’t change to the identity that Smith wants by drafting a Qb at number 4 when you have a few strong years already on the team at Qb. It makes zero sense. 

Just what we need.  A rookie quarterback another salary against Mattys cap hit.  No running game.  No O-line... and of course no Big D.

Just a rookie QB is going to fix all this mess.... lol Amen...

Better give KOO a hugh contract.  Cause we are going to be the first NFL team to win a season on Field Goals... 

🤣