Jump to content

A TDWII Observation: A QB at #4 is only move if you’re Terry Fontenot...


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

So being pompous is a greater crime here against the CoC than painting someone as having been sexually abused as a child?

I don’t have any personal relationships here...and I’ve been here for two decades.  Allows me to not care about any of the slights or ‘blasts’ as you’ve put it.  I come here to joust.

But if you think you’re a steward of some type of fairness doctrine related to what goes on here, I laugh at your double standards.

No...calling Falcons fans "Ryan nuthuggers" is against the COC. And then openly complaining about your warning in threads is. So is bumping an old topic during a game to instigate. Or making a new thread calling out the moderating team...should I go on? Stop deflecting at your own wrong doings by pointing out what somebody else did. That's called changing the subject because you don't want to own up to your own behavior. 

And LOL at the "fairness" comment. If you don't like the way I moderate this place, then go somewhere else. News flash, I volunteer to do this. I don't need BS from people like you to make this harder for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the best movies of the 2010’s was Spotlight.  If you haven’t seen it, it’s the re-telling of how the investigative journalism branch of one of the Boston newspapers uncovered systemic sexual ab

Lol why do I always read these thing? Always a wordy waste of time. If you can't tell that Matt Ryan had down years because of how terrible Koetter was, then you're not worth listening to. A terrible

Big Ben, Rivers, and Brees were completely beaten up and broken, all having major injuries recently or at some point in their career. Matt Ryan has never had a serious injury in his entire career. If

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

What is interesting is that most of us have done a spectacularly poor job of projecting great QBs.  Great quarterbacks can be developed if they possess the right skill set, mental acuity and drive.  Also, doesnt hurt to be placed in the right place.  

Man, I just knew Colt Brennan was a cant miss.  And he did.  I just knew as the resident Texas Homer that Young was a cannot miss QB. Physically.  **** shame he didn't have the mental aspect and the maturity of a five year old.

Building a team is hard.  Having more pucks allows for more screw-screwups and the ability to take a flyer on a freak.  

But that is kind of my point, why wait and screw it up? If someone like a fields is right there, you take him. Fields would of been top 5 this year, last year and next year. Why wait? Lets say we pass, move down and stock pile other positions. We field a better defense but Matty falls off a cliff. Season wasted. We go into the draft again with a high pick but none of the QBs wow. We end up with an Akili Smith. Teams search years for their QB. You grab them when you can. We arent completely bad. Morris showed that there is something to salvage.  Especially if we can go the Green Bay route. Look at the top rated QBs who got to sit initially, much better success rates. even if only for part of the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

No...calling Falcons fans "Ryan nuthuggers" is against the COC. And then openly complaining about your warning in threads is. So is bumping an old topic during a game to instigate. Or making a new thread calling out the moderating team...should I go on? Stop deflecting at your own wrong doings by pointing out what somebody else did. That's called changing the subject because you don't want to own up to your own behavior. 

And LOL at the "fairness" comment. If you don't like the way I moderate this place, then go somewhere else. News flash, I volunteer to do this. I don't need BS from people like you to make this harder for me. 

I just checked the COC...with the exception of the NH comment (which I was warned for)...where was the violation?

...and we could likely go thru this thread and pick out some name calling if you’d like.  Make sure you’re doing your job correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 215FalconsFanatic said:

But that is kind of my point, why wait and screw it up? If someone like a fields is right there, you take him. Fields would of been top 5 this year, last year and next year. Why wait? Lets say we pass, move down and stock pile other positions. We field a better defense but Matty falls off a cliff. Season wasted. We go into the draft again with a high pick but none of the QBs wow. We end up with an Akili Smith. Teams search years for their QB. You grab them when you can. We arent completely bad. Morris showed that there is something to salvage.  Especially if we can go the Green Bay route. Look at the top rated QBs who got to sit initially, much better success rates. even if only for part of the year.

And really, your not wrong.  However, you're not necessarily right.  What I'm trying to say, unless you are as sure as you can get that the guy you select at 4 is a cant miss, you need to trade down.  See, you clearly like Fields.  And he's got talent.  But does our staff?  I only ask because I don't know.  Does his skillset fit our team?  And, can he win now on our team as it sits?  There's more to it than just deciding we have to select any player.  QB perceived strong draft,  or a weak defensive draft is all based on opinion.

I'm old, and jaded.  I have seen so many cant miss QBs that never amounted to anything.  But, I've also seen a pile of LTs taken in the top 5 that had all world careers.  

I'm not opposed to taking a QB if he fits our scheme.  My guess is they might, but not at 4.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HairyArabFalconFan said:

Great post by TDWII, not only does it take into account the pressures to maintain a job as a GM by extending the leash with a young QB but this post also doesn't sugar coat the physical reality of Matt Ryan's career ending soon.

This is a new era of NFL football, it is the age of the mobile quarterback because offensive lines take years of high draft picks to become dominant. If you can scramble in the NFL then you have a chance to win without winning the trenches.

Matt Ryan is the best Quarterback in franchise history and he definitely has some gas still left in the tank; but is he is also a statue. He is accurate, good play caller, and capable of winning in the right situation but anyone here who thinks he should stay a part of the 5 year plan is just fooling themselves or they are comfortable with mediocrity.
 

Agreed. Tom Brady is definitely a mobile QB, and he's in the SB. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

@TheDirtyWordII you can say that we have a bias towards posters all you want. But the reality is, you are getting blasted in this thread by countless people because of YOU. Not because of me or the other admins. You are 10000% getting what you deserve. Perhaps if you didn't talk to people like a condescending pompous jerk then there would actually be objective discussion in here. You brought this on yourself dude. 

On behalf of the TAFT community

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 215FalconsFanatic said:

my 2 cents is the Falcons need to start looking to the future of QB. When was the last time, we drafted a QB. Also do we think any of the projected 2nd/3rd round QBs can be developed. I think the biggest thing is we have to leave this draft with a QB of the future. Evaluation wise if they feel the gap between Newman and say Lance isnt that great. Maybe we go elsewhere and pick up a QB in the second. I believe Lawrence and Fields are tier 1, bonefid blue chip QB prospects since day 1. If you can draft one, you take them because they dont come around that often. Will they be success in the pros? who knows but they have a great chance to be. then there is tier 2, it is really up to the evaluator where that ends. Do you take a jones in the 2nd (where i think he will fall) who shows he isnt the most talented but when surrounded by good athletes, he is fine. He would have that in the NFL. to me, he is Andy Dalton. In my eyes, Smith would like a Newman because he shows some Tannnehil like traits. 

But i am a fan so what do i know. The point i am making is QB has to be in the mix but i have confidence in Fontenot ability to evaluate talent and know what succeeds in this league. The saints have been drafting in the back of the draft for years and have consistently out drafted us and by good found some gems. I did not think Kamara was going to be this good. At Tenessee, i thought he was a look like tarzan, plays like jane type. To ok with catching passes and trying to run around people, happy feet. Boy was i wrong.

Many including Mel Kiper projected Mahomes as 2nd/3rd round draft pick. Heck Kiper had a mock draft where he talked about Mahomes as a project(2/3rd rd). That shows how much media and mockers know compared to real coaches/gm. Russell Wilson has over performed every QB in the 2012 draft. Luck was #1 and Rg3 #2 over all. Dakk Prescott is playing better than QB drafted in top of 2016 draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Brady's arm is better now at 43 than Matt's is at 35.   I saw Matt hang those 15yd out throws that cost Falcons in Chargers game that I never saw him hang before.   The deep balls are looking worse as well.    Matt has never made his living having a gun but even a "change-up" pitcher has to maintain velocity as he gets older.    Albeit gradual, there are signs of slippage w/ Matt right now.  

This is simply not true...Brady's arm does not look that good anymore, but his brain, his team, and the coaching around him is excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Our post counts just make us posters troll or alternates. Funny, you bring up a point and there are about 5 lifers that swarm like moth to the flame, that literally have to be Pro-Falcons in every possible way. 

Since, I'm new here, but read the board for years, so I decided looked back on some old posts from these posters and all were die hard Quinn and Vic Beasley guys, so these are some football knowledge heavyweight we are going up against. Here is to better times after we hit the "accepted" post count..lol.

Maybe you should sit down, shut up, and listen. You might learn something son...🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well written post, as always.

I agree with your reasoning based on long-term thinking. It's obvious for TF, who wants to be here more than a decade, that finding the next QB is vital.

I don't agree with some of your thinking about Matt Ryan ... but I don't even think you need that to make your argument. Your argument stands merely based on the fact that TF has a long time horizon.

If you ranked all the things TF needs to care about, and scored them on how important they are, finding the next QB tops the list with a million points, and the second item on that list gets about 42 points.

And, since there is a high bust rate on franchise QBs, he almost has to take one at # 4, and maybe get another one next year.

That's true even if you consider Matty Ice elite (like I do), and it's true whether Ryan has 1 year or 5 years left in the tank. (How long did Rodgers sit behind Favre?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The Admins get paid with a one of those orange Homer buckets from Home Depot filled with red and black confetti.

Seriously though, there are posts that i refuse to open simply because the title is stupid to me. Could you imagine having the responsibility of being content police? I'd be banning people (including myself) left and right for just being ignorant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Well written post, as always.

I agree with your reasoning based on long-term thinking. It's obvious for TF, who wants to be here more than a decade, that finding the next QB is vital.

I don't agree with some of your thinking about Matt Ryan ... but I don't even think you need that to make your argument. Your argument stands merely based on the fact that TF has a long time horizon.

If you ranked all the things TF needs to care about, and scored them on how important they are, finding the next QB tops the list with a million points, and the second item on that list gets about 42 points.

And, since there is a high bust rate on franchise QBs, he almost has to take one at # 4, and maybe get another one next year.

That's true even if you consider Matty Ice elite (like I do), and it's true whether Ryan has 1 year or 5 years left in the tank. (How long did Rodgers sit behind Favre?)

This doesn’t seem like a difficult concept to grasp.  And yet we’ve seen how blind folks can be in their loyalty to a franchise icon.

Are the Chargers thinking QB after drafting Herbert?  No - he balled.  Are the Dolphins?  Possibly...he didn’t ball.  But it goes to show you just how vital the position is.  There is not even a close #2 in terms of importance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Williamb said:

Seriously though, there are posts that i refuse to open simply because the title is stupid to me. Could you imagine having the responsibility of being content police? I'd be banning people (including myself) left and right for just being ignorant.

Not for anything, but why do we need content police outside of vulgarity/lewdness?

Here’s a system...poster reports vulgarity.  Admin removes vulgarity. If it happens again...admin bans vulgar poster.

The fact the the Administration here wants to make things complicated is on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Our post counts just make us posters troll or alternates. Funny, you bring up a point and there are about 5 lifers that swarm like moth to the flame, that literally have to be Pro-Falcons in every possible way. 

Since, I'm new here, but read the board for years, so I decided looked back on some old posts from these posters and all were die hard Quinn and Vic Beasley guys, so these are some football knowledge heavyweight we are going up against. Here is to better times after we hit the "accepted" post count..lol.

Your posts counts don't make you trolls.  Your posting makes you trolls.  See people like you love painting with a broad brush and love pissing and moaning about how badly the Falcons suck, how awful our roster is, how there is no hope, and yet when people challenge you on the why you feel this way, posters like you can never respond with any kind of thought out or intelligent answer.  When challenged with statistics, metrics, or responses challenging your doom and gloom posting, you get all defensive and can never actually answer any of the responses.

To your second point, I have never been die hard Quinn or Beasley, so apparently I pass your criteria as a football knowledge heavyweight.  If you don't want to be called a troll, don't post like a troll.  Take some accountability for your posts and responses and maybe you will survive around here for a little bit.  Or just keep doing what you are doing and you can merge into the troll pack nicely too, either way is fine by me.  But fyi - victim card playing is a staple of TATF trolls...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

This is simply not true...Brady's arm does not look that good anymore, but his brain, his team, and the coaching around him is excellent.

People say silly things about QBs. Somebody here was talking up Mitch Trubinsky's season the other day. I wanted to make him post that same statement on a Bears message board, but I feared Illinois would run out of tar and feathers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Not for anything, but why do we need content police outside of vulgarity/lewdness?

Here’s a system...poster reports vulgarity.  Admin removes vulgarity. If it happens again...admin bans vulgar poster.

The fact the the Administration here wants to make things complicated is on them.

I understand this, still wouldn't want the job. Thanks for the lively post btw. I don't agree, but enjoyed arguing, lol

Edited by Williamb
Addition
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...