• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coach Smith, please do not listen to a dam thing this fan base has to say.  Mods, please deliver

As long as Dairy Quinn isn’t part of it, I’m willing to let it play out.

I think one of the reasons I'm not interested is because I don't have that attachment with those characters. Like Falcon and Winter Soldier, I'll watch that from start to finish. But I'm going to keep

9 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

I think it's the defense that needs a complete overhaul. The offense, personnel wise, could compete for playoffs with a competent OC. The talent is more than enough at an positions except at RB.

Offense is definitely a strength. However you’re assuming we can get a defense built around Ryan/Julio’s time table, which I think is a tall task. The probability of that is low, so offense may need to account for a new QB within the aforementioned time frame.

2 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Anyone expecting 10 wins in 2021 is ******* stupid straight up idc...”This fan base Expect the falcons to win now” lol ummmm that was over with after this season. Falcons being in win now mode sounds like sarcasm 

We are definitely not in a “win now” mode. We are in a soft rebuild. 

52 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Like it or not this team is in a rebuild. Anyone expecting us to be in a “win now” mode is setting unrealistic expectations. There will be a learning curve to this offense, and there will be roster optimization moves. We should see a turn around in record. We may even make it to the playoffs. However it should be about 2-3 years before we are seriously competing again for a SB. 

Agree. I think if we win 7 games this year, but show that things are being run well and are going in the right direction, we should all be thrilled.

1 hour ago, Xfactor said:

I heard we weren’t a 4-10 team with the talent we had we were a 7-9 team. That doesn’t get you into the playoffs and Smith has already hinted that the roster will look completely different than it does today.

He did nothing of that sort. He said they will adjust, roster from September May look different in the season because of injuries. There will be changes but not rebuilds. 

30 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Anyone expecting 10 wins in 2021 is ******* stupid straight up idc...”This fan base Expect the falcons to win now” lol ummmm that was over with after this season. Falcons being in win now mode sounds like sarcasm 

AS better win in 2 years, year 2 is grave yard for NFL coaches with 2 losing seasons. No owner likes a lame duck coach in final year or contract. 

Just now, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Agree. I think if we win 7 games this year, but show that things are being run well and are going in the right direction, we should all be thrilled.

I agree. I think 9-6 would be our top end for record. This could be like Ryan’s rookie year where we make it to the playoffs but lose in the first round. 

My expectations for next season are nil.

After that, I'll want to be impressed, or at very least be hopeful of the future.

The thing is, if we're not competitive by 2022, I have serious concerns about the team's future at that point with Ryan and Julio and the centerpieces. 

27 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Offense is definitely a strength. However you’re assuming we can get a defense built around Ryan/Julio’s time table, which I think is a tall task. The probability of that is low, so offense may need to account for a new QB within the aforementioned time frame.

Do you think we will be able to make the playoffs if the DC can get the defense to play at either middle of the pack level or at post DQ level at best? If so, I think our offense will be able to make up the gap difference if equipped with a good run game. 

Defenses usually don't take that long to turn around after an overhaul. We don't need them to be elite or even top 10 to make the playoffs. But if they do find themselves in that category towards the last half of next season, we might be on our way to the superbowl if Arthur has our offense playing above average. 

It's not THAT unreasonable to look for a ten-win season when you think about it. Coming off of the most toxic year in franchise history and with a rookie QB, we went 11-5 and made the playoffs. That same QB now has a ton of experience, including winning league MVP, and has strong supporting players at several positions. If the defense had been competent last year for the whole season, they'd have been a middle of the road unit with the personnel we had in place. If we upgrade a few positions and the offense is organized to its strengths, it's very possible we could see a repeat of 2008.

Am I EXPECTING it? No. Will I be mad if it doesn't happen? Only from the standpoint of being a fan and wanting my team to do well. But it IS possible and you don't have to look too far back in our own history to see it happen to a team in worse circumstances than this team.

1 minute ago, ShadyRef said:

Do you think we will be able to make the playoffs if the DC can get the defense to play at either middle of the pack level or at post DQ level at best? If so, I think our offense will be able to make up the gap difference if equipped with a good run game. 

Defenses usually don't take that long to turn around after an overhaul. We don't need them to be elite or even top 10 to make the playoffs. But if they do find themselves in that category towards the last half of next season, we might be on our way to the superbowl if Arthur has our offense playing above average. 

There is no excuse for this offense not to average 27-30 points per game with AS calling the plays. The offense outside of RB and OG is good enough. If the Defense can stop other teams as needed with big lead in 4th quarter. This team can win 10 games, Falcons lost 7 games with in one score. 

Right now, I have zero positive expectations for the Falcons, so whatever Smith does is of no concern to me. Blow up the team, don’t blow up the team, just start winning some games and stop being an embarrassment of a franchise. I know the organization hopes we’ll all be patient, but my interest is on the decline with the Falcons and the NFL in general. My journey with the Falcons began in the early ‘70s as a young kid, and it has mostly led me to a handful of highs, and a boatload of disappointment. The Falcons brand is known as a loser, and not the one that Blank has envisioned. So do something already, get it right and keep it right, but don’t expect fans to be happy/patient with the growing pains of a new coach.  After all, we saw Mike Smith come in and make the playoffs the first year, and he did it with a rookie QB (Matt Ryan), a very good running game, and a defense that had some good veterans at key positions; this was on the heels of a total collapse with Vick going to prison, and the disaster of hiring Petrino. So, there’s no reason why the new Smith can’t come in and have success because he doesn’t have nearly as much stacked against him as Mike Smith did. 

Edited by 4dabirds
44 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

We are definitely not in a “win now” mode. We are in a soft rebuild. 

Reading ALOT of posters that believe this is a playoff team right now and a superbowl level roster. That is why I hate the band-aid idea and running this thing back again with the same team(more or less). One simple change at the OC position is apparently all it takes, I guess we shall see but there is literally zero margin for error on a team that thrives on error.

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There is no excuse for this offense not to average 27-30 points per game with AS calling the plays. The offense outside of RB and OG is good enough. If the Defense can stop other teams as needed with big lead in 4th quarter. This team can win 10 games, Falcons lost 7 games with in one score. 

This team averaged that(27-30) exactly how many times since Shanahan left and how many times before he got here?

Stop living in the past and thinking this roster is circa 16' with KS calling the plays. AS should be a good solid coordinator but get real.

Just now, PointSwayzee said:

This team averaged that(27-30) exactly how many times since Shanahan left and how many times before he got here?

Stop living in the past and thinking this roster is circa 16' with KS calling the plays. AS should be a good solid coordinator but get real.

Lol. Titans averaged 30 pts a game with a washed up Ryan Tannahill. It’s not living in the past, it’s called high standards. AS talked about adaptability, and other good stuff. It’s time to show. I don’t really care what AS or TF do, if they can’t win big in next 2 years. AB better have them out of state line. He held on to DQ longer because of SB run and 2017. 

Bottom line what fans think doesn’t matter, did AS agree to deliver on AB winning now expectations. If he agreed, he is on the hook. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Coach Smith, please do not listen to a dam thing this fan base has to say. 

Mods, please deliver

Exactly what I was thinking. Says we got the hottest coach then goes into a pretty negative bunch of rhetoric. Can't we just be excited we torpedoed an incompetent b00b and hope for positive change? And anybody with an IQ higher than mustard would realize that there's no magic bullet that fixes the holes in this roster, especially with our cap situation. Gel Boy put the new regime in a tough spot.

The team choked away at least three wins last season. So it's not unreasonable to consider that Smith is taking over team that is a '7-9 quality' roster. Teams that went 7-9 the previous season make the playoffs every year, it's not uncommon at all. So it's not crazy to expect Smith & Co to at least contend for a playoff spot next season. 

If you're keeping Ryan, it means you are expecting to be a SB contender (defined as playing in the CCG) by year 3, if not sooner. 

No reason this team can’t compete for a SB next season. Not that it’s the expectation, but it’s absolutely a possibility. I wouldn’t say it if we didn’t have the talent in place that we do. I sure wasn’t saying it after the last time we went 4-12 in 2013. This is a unique situation 

45 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Depends. Middle of the pack would be a huge improvement over the past few seasons. However even Vic Fangio took two seasons to get Chicago from the middle of the pack, to slightly above middle of the pack, and that’s with a good defensive draft.

I’m not expecting a high improvement in one season, I’m expecting an incremental increase. I think slightly below average would be the top end of our ability next season.

I disagree that it’s a quick turnaround. Especially since we’ll be going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Personnel changes are going to happen, and it’ll take some time adjusting into new scheme on both sides. 

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

It’s always good to have fallbacks. I really was late to the MCU game, but I watched all relevant films leading up to endGame. Winter Soldier was one of my favs of the bunch. 

the flash movie to have a Batman cameo!

Same here. 1 thing to know about me, I hate origin stories. MCU has actually provided me with a few i like lol

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

WandaVision has me intrigued. There’s a few theories I have on who the main villain is. One of which is linked to the X-Men, and is obscure enough that it would make sense that SWORD is involved. 

See that's what has me interested but still not interested. It ties into other things but the appeal just doesn't hit for me lol

1 hour ago, mikeg272 said:

I forgot thats how last season ended! Glad you mentioned that. Now ready for the new season lol

February 23!!

Your never eliminated from being a playoff contender the following season. 40% annual churn in the playoff pool, and that was before adding the 7 seed. We went from a much more dire situation to a playoff team in 2008, so I won’t say we can’t do it again...not saying I am expecting it, but definitely not as pessimistic as some around here.

Looking forward. Open mind. Draft for the future because no, we don’t have a roster that’s a new playbook away from a Lombardi. Do it right. It will take 2-3 years. 
I expect we win more than 4, yes. But I don’t think I’d bet my mortgage on winning 8 in 1 season. 
But I will be happy to be wrong about that.  There are some growing pains and some hard realizations we as fans will need to accept. 
Yeah, I’m hopeful. But if we improve stepwise for 3 seasons who can beat us?  As long as we go forward I’m patient. 
In my opinion we have been going backwards for more than just 2020 and it’s part of the culture. Changing this takes some pain. 
Honestly to me as a fan, win 6 and it’s better than 4. Win 7 and it’s as good as our response to LI. Any more than that and give the man a big raise. But I’m expecting it to take a while.