Looks like 2 more defensive coaches joining the staff

Looks like 2 more coaches being added to the staff.

Two more assistants were linked to the new Atlanta Falcons coaching staff on Tuesday.

As reported by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the team is expected to hire Jon Hoke, the defensive coordinator at the University of Maryland, to serve as defensive backs coach and Ted Monachino, formerly a defensive assistant for the Chicago Bears, to be the linebackers coach.

Prior to his two seasons as Maryland’s defensive coordinator, Hoke served as a defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Chicago Bears, Houston Texans, and was the co-defensive coordinator at South Carolina.

Monachino spent time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Baltimore Ravens, and Indianapolis Colts, before serving as an assistant and linebackers coach for the Bears the past two seasons.

New Falcons head coach Arthur Smith has already hired 11 assistant coaches, including all three coordinators.

Monachino served in the same role he'll have with the Falcons (OLB coach) from 2010-2015 w/ the Ravens.

New Falcons DC Dean Pees was the ILB coach with the Ravens in 2010-2011, and then was promoted to Ravens DC from 2012-2017.

So Pees is getting guys he's familiar with.

After he left the Ravens, Monachino also was the Colts DC for two years (2016-2017)... which seems like a significant thing that got totally glossed over by the article in the OP.

27 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Chicago Falcons staff. jk. I like hiring of young coaches to go with experienced Dan Pees. 

Its one thing to hear people talk about diversity of opinion and style being critical. It is quit another to watch someone actually build a staff that appears to be totally short of anyone who looks like a "yes man" so far. 

9 minutes ago, k-train said:

Monachino served in the same role he'll have with the Falcons (OLB coach) from 2010-2015 w/ the Ravens.

New Falcons DC Dean Pees was the ILB coach with the Ravens in 2010-2011, and then was promoted to Ravens DC from 2012-2017.

After he left the Ravens, Monachino also was the Colts DC for two years (2016-2017)... which seems like a significant thing that got totally glossed over by the article in the OP.

I like the fact that they have their own credentials. He may be familiar with them, but I expect them to get their voice into the the process of building this defense into what it needs to be. 

I feel like these moves are very very long term moves. Pees comes out of retirement, implements his defense (scheme/fronts, philosophy, adjustments, etc.), Teaches/trains several coaches/coordinators to take over when he retires again (creating disciples to create disciples), and sets us up to always have our defense foundation going forward. 

6 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Its one thing to hear people talk about diversity of opinion and style being critical. It is quit another to watch someone actually build a staff that appears to be totally short of anyone who looks like a "yes man" so far. 

Yep, that's how coaches become stale. I am liking the mix so far.

17 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yep, and Monachino was the Colts DC 2016-2017 while Gary Emmanuel was the DL coach there as well.

49 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I remember the time **** Vermeil hired a bunch of 70-year-olds to coach when he joined the Rams. The visuals of these old white guys trying to relate to black guys in their early 20s were hysterical. But that team won a Super Bowl and became absolutely dynamic. With defense, I'm a strong proponent of experience.

Just now, jidady said:

I remember the time *ahem* Richard Vermeil (I got bleeped) hired a bunch of 70-year-olds to coach when he joined the Rams. The visuals of these old white guys trying to relate to black guys in their early 20s were hysterical. But that team won a Super Bowl and became absolutely dynamic. With defense, I'm a strong proponent of experience.

9 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Didn’t we already hire a LBers coach already???

Yeah, Frank Bush.

When Monachino & Pees first coached together with the Ravens, Monachino was the OLB coach & Pees was the ILB coach. Makes me wonder if they'll do something similar since they are mentioning the Monachino hire as being for OLB coach. Perhaps that means Bush will be taking the ILBs, and not the LBs overall.

3 minutes ago, Abeasley27 said:

I’ve made a couple of remarks to others and it looks as if we are hiring guys that are fundamentalists and guys that teach being sound technique wise. Which is awesome since football is a team sport. Every guy doing his job to the best of his abilities and in his correct position 

I think I'm liking this. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I am seeing a younger, motivated, more innovative, dynamic and probably idealistic bunch of offensive coaches (the up and coming types), and then more grizzled, experienced veterans, and technically sound coaches on the defensive side.

It's gonna get interesting.