Will the Atlanta Falcons select a QB with their first pick in 1st round of 2021 NFL Draft?

g-dawg

87 Days until the Draft - Will the Falcons select a QB at #4?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Atlanta Falcons take a QB with their #4 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft

• YES - the Falcons will draft a QB at #4 (or somewhere up/down from there)
    • NO - the Falcons will draft another position

The last time the Atlanta Falcons had both a new GM and a new HC - in 2008 - they also had a Top pick in the NFL draft.   The masses wanted the Falcons to draft the Defensive Tackle out of LSU - Glen Dorsey.   A young hair-gelled GM went a different direction and selected a Quarterback out of Boston College named Matt Ryan.

Here we are 13yrs later with a new HC, a new GM and a Top 5 pick on a team that went 4-12.

Will the Falcons select QB again?

Just now, Mister pudding said:

Having Byron Leftwich in the stable compared to Ryan now made the pick then a no-brainer. Quite a different situation. I voted no..

for who the starter is, it is a completely different situation - no doubt.   But outside of that, lots and lots of similarities.   Team is 4-12 just like last time.  Have some age on the roster.. New HC, New GM - there are plenty of similarities as well.

I remember many here wanted Dorsey, but had we selected Dorsey who would we of wanted as a QB from that draft; does any one remember. Our QB options at the time were Chris Redman, Maybe Byron Leftwich, and I don’t know who else as I think Joey Harrington was already gone. All I know is that I’m glad Ryan was the pick.

I think the Falcons will trade the pick to a team in need of a new QB, and use the picks to get Rousseau and Najee in the first. Or, they could use those same picks and get Trey Lance and Etienne, but we need an EDGE guy, and a good one at that.

Edited by 4dabirds

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

for who the starter is, it is a completely different situation - no doubt.   But outside of that, lots and lots of similarities.   Team is 4-12 just like last time.  Have some age on the roster.. New HC, New GM - there are plenty of similarities as well.

But that's just it. We had no identity, no "face of the franchise." Smith alone without changing a single thing on this roster could have went 9-7 imo. We sold our soul (cap) on Ryan and Julio and we need to add around them while we're in these dire straights. I just don't foresee a new regime taking on a rookie qb not named Lawrence to sit behind MR2, to add no production in their 1st or 2nd year as coach and gm, and may not even be the answer when the time comes. As short of a shelf life that coaches have, I see them taking a safer route and making the dinner with the ingredients left in the cupboard

I'd give it about a 10% chance they take a qb with the #4 pick. 

About 90% we trade down if the board falls in our favor. 

What I'm reading from all the pressures, this is a win now team.

The argument is we won't be in range to draft a franchise QB again when we need him. But that's not exactly true. There's two other options:

1) find a QB later in the draft or even in the next 2-3 years when one falls in the draft.

2) MR retires or is traded or whatever before we get our next franchise QB and we lose our butts off for a year. If we have been winning, TF and AS will be safe for a year, possibly 2 and can then take their next QB.

Personally I don't think they really want a QB this year.

16 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I remember many here wanted Dorsey, but had we selected Dorsey who would we of wanted as a QB from that draft; does any one remember. Our QB options at the time were Chris Redman, Maybe Byron Leftwich, and I don’t know who else as I think Joey Harrington was already gone. All I know is that I’m glad Ryan was the pick.

I think the Falcons will trade the pick to a team in need of a new QB, and use the picks to get Rousseau and Najee in the first. Or, they could use those same picks and get Trey Lance and Etienne, but we need an EDGE guy, and a good one at that.

you are getting your drafts mixed up - none of those guys were in the same draft as Matt Ryan - LOL.

Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm and Chad Henne

Anyone can see that a dominant run game would go a long way towards fixing this team. It improves the offense and reduces the amount of time the defense is on the field. There are 2 OL(Slater, Sewell) available near the top of the draft that will improve our run game, or potentially make it dominant(anyone remember Steve Hutchison?). We are fortunate that we may be in position to get the type of trade package reserved for top QBs and still land one of these guys. If we take a QB it better be because they think he's a very very special talent. Our window is still open.

Also, since I haven't seen it posted here..  The Saints offense thrived for many years with elite interior OL. Fontenot was there and no doubt appreciates this type of approach. It makes too much sense. I think we are posturing about drafting a qb because it will result in greater demand for the #4 pick. Teams like DET(#7), CAR(#8), and SF(#12) need to believe that they can't stay put and get their franchise qb.

I think the chances of drafting a round 1  QB are very small. I don't but into the draft a QB and let him sit behind Matt a year. If Matt is the starter in 2021 you won't see  a first rounder sitting behind him. 

I don't see TF digging a deeper Cap hole by trading Matt either. 

I have no idea who the pick might be or if a trade will be made, but I have confidence the Falcons will not draft a QB at 4.

6 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Ryan started year one, this rookie wouldn't. I think a new GM wants his first ever draft pick to be someone who contributes immediately. 

I disagree when it comes to QBs starting immediately.      It happens a lot, but not a requirement - typically rookie QBs aren't ensconced as starter immediately - even the ones that ultimately end up starting at the beginning of the season or during the bye week or thereafter.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I disagree when it comes to QBs starting immediately.      It happens a lot, but not a requirement - typically rookie QBs aren't ensconced as starter immediately - even the ones that ultimately end up starting at the beginning of the season or during the bye week or thereafter.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in general, but as the first ever draft pick by a new GM? I'd be surprised. 

27-7   No versus Yes

looks like TATF is in denial that this is a very real possibility.   I told you guys this poll wasn't what you want the Falcons to do but what you think they will do.   There is no way 80% of the fanbase thinks the Falcons won't draft a QB - that is an insanely skewed number.