1 minute ago, Jesus said:

BPA means many things. Is it the Best possible Player overall Available? The Best Player Available on the Falcons board? The Best Player on offense or defense?

It doesn't make sense to read too much into it. Because right now the team has all new staff that are still building a draft board.

Well, as you and I both know, it's pretty much all about how they have their board arranged. Their board might not even have QB or WR on it in round one, for instance. For QB, it might have a marker beside it at 4, where they intend to trade down, if possible. That'd definitely be BPA for us, specifically.

The fruits of their BPA labor won't be known for a couple of years, when we find out if they know how to arrange a big board in the first place. 😄

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they should trade back, and then go BPA after that with the extra picks. Lots of hidden gems this draft due to players opting out and such which resulted in their draft value lowering. 

There is almost always an opportunity to trade back in the top of the draft...it all depends what you’re willing to accept in exchange. With Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Sewell in the draft, I would bet

Yes, but is there is no trade back possibility. You dont just press a button and then you trade back to your preferred position. You need a partner who sees the value.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The only team I would doubt is New England. They would never trade that high up. Belichick would rather sit where he is and take a QB later that he and McDaniels can mold.

I can see that. I'm actually on record that, if SF cuts ties with Jimmy G, expect him to land back with NE. Comfort zone motivates tons of thinking in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Well, as you and I both know, it's pretty much all about how they have their board arranged. Their board might not even have QB or WR on it in round one, for instance. For QB, it might have a marker beside it at 4, where they intend to trade down, if possible. That'd definitely be BPA for us, specifically.

The fruits of their BPA labor won't be known for a couple of years, when we find out if they know how to arrange a big board in the first place. 😄

This is going to be a weird draft. There are a lot of uncertainties. Teams are going to reach for players and hidden gems will drop because they missed games. Teams will struggle with looking at and determining talent. I'm glad the Falcons have fresh young eyes will may look at the draft differently this year.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Ozzie with Ravens BPA was Trenches, Secondary, LB and non skill positions. They rarely drafted WR as BPA unlike TD. You can never have enough of those players. Ozzie was not afraid to double dip on TE in a draft, who could block and catch.

TE is a skill position...

12 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Um. Without even thinking hard, there are a few teams who would be itching to move up for a QB at 4. Detroit, Denver, SF maybe, definitely New England, Raiders, Washington, Indy even. 

Even beyond that, a team in need of a Sewell or one of those top WRs might not want to wait and settle for leftovers.

The idea that it's an impossibility to trade back is kind of silly. 

Well I think most want to trade back. This was not about trading back.. The topic was made to talk about peoples desire for BPA versus need... Not trade related

BPA? Are you really ready?

I've been ready and have been screaming BPA for years. Every draft, every round, every pick. Even at positions of strength. Including QB. I truly believe if you take that approach you will get stacked in a hurry. For decades we've had a needs based approached. Dimi acknowledged that several times in the past. Needs based drafting can get you in trouble. See Sackmaker, Jelly, King Konz, Bustley and Talk McKinney. We passed on several beasts to draft them.

It was music to my ears to hear Fonty say that BPA is his philosophy. BPA is in the eyes of the beholders, which in our case will be Fonty, Arty and their staffs. BPA is usually a group of players that are closely rated. In the 2021 draft the BPA group at the four spot could include Sewell, Wilson, Surtain, Parsons, Chase and Smith. I'd be OK with either one of em. Chances are a couple of them will also fill a need. Draft for the future and fill gaping holes with veteran FAs.

I believe in BPA. I think it greatly increases your chances of getting hall of famers and decreases your chances of busts.

Even if you draft a non-need, you increase competition and decrease entitlement in your lockerroom. 

with a roster brimming with talent, you can patch over holes in free agency and via trade.

It takes time if your roster is depleted like ours (especially defense).

But yes, I’m ready.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins
2 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

TE is a skill position...

Sure, if you missed the part where I mentioned the blocking. Those ravens TE were expected to be good Run blockers and block the pass rushing OLBs when needed. Ozzie knew the importance of trenches. He wasn’t wasting picks on double dipping WR not drafting backup QB. They stuck with Flacco and rode out to get Lamar when needed.

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Sure, if you missed the part where I mentioned the blocking. Those ravens TE were expected to be good Run blockers and block the pass rushing OLBs when needed. Ozzie knew the importance of trenches. He wasn’t wasting picks on double dipping WR not drafting backup QB. They stuck with Flacco and rode out to get Lamar when needed.

He drafted 2 back ups for Flacco, and do you really think since 93 he’s never double dipped in WR?

Also, Hurst and Andrews were pass catchers coming out

Edited by Wjcorner
2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

He drafted 2 back ups for Flacco, and do you really think since 93 he’s never double dipped in WR?

First round backups? I am not talking about 93. If we have to go past post Rookie contract CBA era, we are reaching.

Edit:

@Knight of God is a Ravens fan too, he knows about Ozzie Philosophy better than me. Focus on trenches, pass rush, blocking, secondary. You can never have enough players in those positions. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

First round backups? I am not talking about 93. If we have to go past post Rookie contract CBA era, we are reaching. 

No, I’m just surprised you think he hasn’t double dipped for that long of a period, not specifically 93. He has over the years so 🤷🏿‍♂️

9 hours ago, FalconOdense said:

I see posts about Surtain at 4 and other players, but are TATF really ready to go BPA?

I think when you are looking at non QBs I think that best players are Sewell and Chase... But not desperate needs?

Lets say there is no trade down option. Are you all willing to take best player even though it is not a top top need like pass rusher, secondary..

Yes, why not?  At the beginning of each season, I think we have a 1 in 32 chance of winning the SB.  In 2021, I think it is closer to 1 in 100.  There are going to be a lot of adjustments, a lot of learning on everyone's part, and some breakdowns.  And, we do not know what Covid-19 limitations will be in the way of preparing for the season.  As we get over the humps, I do want to see us become competitive and have real confidence for 2022.  But, for 2021, I think getting close to the playoffs will be a major improvement and a success. 

As Jim Mora Sr. put it, "Playoffs?  Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Don't talk to me about playoffs.  Playoffs?".

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

This is going to be a weird draft. There are a lot of uncertainties. Teams are going to reach for players and hidden gems will drop because they missed games. Teams will struggle with looking at and determining talent. I'm glad the Falcons have fresh young eyes will may look at the draft differently this year.

Man that's why I'm so excited for this draft. It's no fun when everyone knows who's going where! I love a chaotic draft. I wonder if there will be lots of trading.

Also we have no idea at all what BPA means for Fontenot, so we could really be drafting any position. I'm prepared for anything. I'm kinda thinking it'll be o line, cause it seems like Arturo is really into o line.

I love BPA. That said, I consider it to be a description of mentality more than literally expecting to take the BPA for every draft selection. If an OG is the BPA every time it is your time to pick, nobody is taking 7 OGs. To me all BPA really means is: "I am willing to take an outstanding athlete even if we are covered at his position." 

The BPA will be WR and OT, and I am fine if we draft those. WRs like Chase can give us a killer trio, fill in for Julio when hurt, and then then make him expendable by trade or cut (or make it where you can let Ridley walk if he wants WR1+ money). OTs like Sewell and Slater can play guard for a year or two and then move to OT, making Jake expendable by trade or cut.

If you’re worried about our future cap, drafting these positions can help with that long term.

With that said, I am listening to all trade down offers. I am **** sure not drafting players like Fields or Surtain at 4 though.

I am for BPA too especially in the first round. Would have no problem with Sewell or Chase. However, the BPA has to me miles better at his position than the next best available. You cannot select a marginally better player as BPA if the next best player is at a position of need. 

For me, Ridley vs Bryan in 2018 was an easy BPA selection while in 2017, picking Takk over Ramczyk was a clear need pick. I am ready to forgive leaving TJ Watt on the board  though in hindsight, he was BPA.