What the NFL thinks about Matt Ryan

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a dumb way to judge QBs.  The QB is 1 guy out of 53.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were not better QBs than Dan Marino and Dan Fouts.

Ryan's situation reminds me of Elway's before Mike Shanahan came along.   Both a former NFL MVP and fell real short of a SB championship(Elway 3 times). Elway was looked at as an aging QB wh

Posted Images

I judge QBs by rings. Dan Fouts and Dan Marino were fun to watch but no one talks about them as much as Montana. Hardware not hype. Trophies not junk yards in meaningless games. dont tell me about the labor pains show me the baby. You think Tom Brady at NE had better weapons around him than Matt Ryan? Coffee is for closers. 

Edited by Refried Beans
8 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I judge QBs by rings. Dan Fouts and Dan Marino were fun to watch but no one talks about them as much as Montana. Hardware not hype. Trophies not junk yards in meaningless games. dont tell me about the labor pains show me the baby. You think Tom Brady at NE had better weapons around him than Matt Ryan? Coffee is for closers. 

So Nick Foles is better than Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan... many others but I've been watching the NFL for too little time to talk about the old QB. 
A quarterback is evaluated on a career, not a game.

13 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Trent dilfer has a ring. No one talks about him.

Edited by The Daywalker
12 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I judge QBs by rings. Dan Fouts and Dan Marino were fun to watch but no one talks about them as much as Montana. Hardware not hype. Trophies not junk yards in meaningless games. dont tell me about the labor pains show me the baby. You think Tom Brady had better weapons around him than Matt Ryan at New England? Coffee is for closers. 

Ryan's situation reminds me of Elway's before Mike Shanahan came along.

Both a former NFL MVP and fell real short of a SB championship(Elway 3 times). Elway was looked at as an aging QB who was a really good QB with plenty of stats for his era that many heavily questioned could he ever win a SB. Even his HOF candidacy was in questioned.

Then comes Mike Shanahan who brought in his offense that took the pressure off Elway with a creative offense and a run game. He also got a defense.

Elway was finally able to break through and make it to the mountain top and cemented his legacy. The 2nd SB title was just icing on the cake to a great HOF career.

Not saying Arthur Smith will be Mike Shanahan, but it would be a great story if he can have that impact.

15 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Stuff like this makes me hate the internet 

4 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Ryan's situation reminds me of Elway's before Mike Shanahan came along.

Both a former NFL MVP and fell real short of a SB championship(Elway 3 times). Elway was looked at as an aging QB who was a really good QB with plenty of stats for his era that many heavily questioned could he ever win a SB. Even his HOF candidacy was in questioned.

Then comes Mike Shanahan who brought in his offense that took the pressure off Elway with a creative offense and a run game. He also got a defense.

Elway was finally able to break through and make it to the mountain top and cemented his legacy. The 2nd SB title was just icing on the cake to a great HOF career.

Not saying Arthur Smith will be Mike Shanahan, but it would be a great story if he can have that impact.

A good duo QB/HC-OC is the key to win it's obvious.It's like one of the good ingredients with a good chef. Sometimes it takes one person to change a franchise, you're absolutely right.

6 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

The NFL and all major sports have adopted the what have you done for me lately notion.  I'd like to see what players think on him today.  As long as he's in a Falcons uni his my QB...

I know Rodgers has the better career, but even gaudy numbers and having more talent doesn't save him from average years or even stretches of years.

The irony is their is no objective analysis on the position or the player without rings apparently. :rolleyes:

And, Ryan has shown up big time in big games.

Team game.

Let's build the team finally.

Or keep chasing the "QB" able to "carry" a "bad team" to a SB title.

What many fail to realize is our 2016 team was rare to even MAKE the SB; let alone be in position to win it. It's rare for an offense to single-handedly carry a team to a ring but this is only a cutoff of teams that scored 500 points. If you went through these teams and looked at a 400 points allowed cut off...it's eye opening:

https://captaincomeback.blog/2021/01/25/nfl-stat-oddity-2020-conference-championship-games/

500-2020.png

1 minute ago, FalconsGM said:

A good duo QB/HC-OC is the key to win it's obvious.It's like one of the good ingredients with a good chef. Sometimes it takes one person to change a franchise, you're absolutely right.

Our chef was poisoning our ingredients last year, and the year before (and the year before) and people would rather overlook the chef and blame the ingredient instead lol

22 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Not to downgrade Tom Brady's accomplishments in any way, but for more than a decade the Patriots benefited from having absolutely no competition in the AFC East.  The Patriots had basically a free-ride to the playoffs.

Edited by brewman
21 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Lol, Marino comes up in literally every conversation about top QBs of all time

1 minute ago, brewman said:

Not to downgrade Tom Brady's accomplishments in any way, but for more than a decade the Patriots benefited from having absolutely no competition in the AFC East.  

Tom isn't seperate from the team.

What is different in Tampa than in NE?

They had the best remaining defense of AFC/NFC CG teams.

They won off the back of that defense stifling a very good offense they matched up well against.

Brady didn't have to be perfect...just like in NE where Bill helped establish him in a great situation as Brady became an elite player. Brady wasn't elite after he won a SB in 2001...etc.

But, as usual, if you aren't Brady or have a ring, you can't respect Matt Ryan on these boards.

Just dumb.

23 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

18 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That's a dumb way to judge QBs.  The QB is 1 guy out of 53.

And once again...there's that "Brady had no weapons" nonsense that people like to dribble. I made a thread yesterday that was tough for me to admit...and it's because of comments like this. 

• JD dirtybird21 changed the title to "What the NFL thinks about Matt Ryahttps://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4084060-what-the-nfl-thinks-about-matt-ryan/n"
  • JD dirtybird21 changed the title to What the NFL thinks about Matt Ryan
3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Tom isn't seperate from the team.

What is different in Tampa than in NE?

They had the best remaining defense of AFC/NFC CG teams.

They won off the back of that defense stifling a very good offense they matched up well against.

Brady didn't have to be perfect...just like in NE where Bill helped establish him in a great situation as Brady became an elite player. Brady wasn't elite after he won a SB in 2001...etc.

But, as usual, if you aren't Brady or have a ring, you can't respect Matt Ryan on these boards.

Just dumb.

I totally agree with you.  The only thing holding the Bucs back for the past few years was Jameis Winston.  As soon as the Bucs fixed that problem with a QB that didn't give games away, they're in the SuperBowl.  The Bucs had everything else in place.

Edited by brewman