Did Terry Fontenont choose Arthur Smith or was it Rich McKay?

On 1/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, E. T. said:

Co workers of mine seem to think that AB and Rich got their "Yes Man" in Font and possibly AS too. I disagreed with them, but if that was the case, I would highly HIGHLY be disappointed in ownership and Rich!

I’m sure they hired guys they believe can help win a championship. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or don’t draft a qb at 4 and hit on the draft and watch your team go 12-4 and make the playoffs 

He was a great hire so it doesnt matter who hired him. 

I'm not sure where all this Rich Mckay hate comes from. I'm not the biggest fan but he's got to be the perfect person for the liaison job between the owner and football operations. He's got plenty of

Not sure why this is important but for those who care, it does seem Blank and Rich did the hiring. From interviews, you can tell they hardly know each other but were introduced in the interview process.

The era of HCs reporting to GMs is long gone. Except for Jerry Jones, there are hardly any GMs who have power to hire/fire their HCs. Lets hope these guys can work together and do their jobs.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Didn't Font basically say he was in on the AS hire? He said he considered some NO coaches but ultimately wanted an outside perspective. 

No he did not say he hired AS. Blank and McKay did the hiring. TF and AS were both asked about who they would like to work with if they got hired. In fact they never interviewed each other and met after they were hired. In the press conference AB mentioned about As and TF reaching out when the hires were finalized. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No he did not say he hired AS. Blank and McKay did the hiring. TF and AS were both asked about who they would like to work with if they got hired. In fact they never interviewed each other and met after they were hired. In the press conference AB mentioned about As and TF reaching out when the hires were finalized. 

I'm only going off what I read in another thread about his podcast interview. It makes me think he was heavily involved in the hiring process of AS.

‐------------------

1. Talked about the HC prospects in the Saints organization but he wanted to find a guy outside the building.

2.Talked about how he did research and talked to multiple HC prospects but he and Coach Smith talked multiple times and they clicked.

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm only going off what I read in another thread about his podcast interview. It makes me think he was heavily involved in the hiring process of AS.

‐------------------

1. Talked about the HC prospects in the Saints organization but he wanted to find a guy outside the building.

2.Talked about how he did research and talked to multiple HC prospects but he and Coach Smith talked multiple times and they clicked.

If you listened to introductory press conference for AS, AB mentioned about Joe Brady and TF working together but TF reaching out to AS once Arthur Smith hire was being finalized. They both liked each other, and wanted to work together.  I think AS also mentioned how TF reached out to him and introduced himself as he was being hired. 
In any case both of them report to McKay, unlike MS who reported to TD. It’s not uncommon in NFL now to hire coaches and GM independently and have them teamed up.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

If you listened to introductory press conference for AS, AB mentioned about Joe Brady and TF working together but TF reaching out to AS once Arthur Smith hire was being finalized. They both liked each other, and wanted to work together.  I think AS also mentioned how TF reached out to him and introduced himself as he was being hired. 
In any case both of them report to McKay, unlike MS who reported to TD. It’s not uncommon in NFL now to hire coaches and GM independently and have them teamed up.

Listen to the Schefter podcast Atljbo posted, TF hired AS

3 hours ago, pren226 said:

Listen to the Schefter podcast Atljbo posted, TF hired AS

I did, now listen to AB, McKay, AS and TF press conferences. Put them all in context. TF didn’t say he hired AS, he just said he reached out to other coaches and he liked AS.

Side note: 

HC make around 6-10 M a year on average and GM make 1-3 M . Most NFL teams have moved away from HC reporting to GM or a GM hiring a coach. It’s collaborative effort. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

They had never worked together and didn't know each other. When we interviewed Fontenot, we told him we really liked Arthur's interview, so Fontenot reached out to Arthur.

Based on all that, I think Fontenot realized, if he wanted the GM position, he had to give the thumbs up to Arthur Smith.

In other words, it is not really ideal. McKay picked Fontenot and Arthur, and that means they both have to cave in to McKay's opinions. So we really have 1 and a half head coaches, and 1 and a half GMs.

It's a dysfunctional set up. It leads to schizophrenia. Imagine, for example, Arthur Smith makes 90% of offseason moves according to his plan, and then, towards the end, McKay dictates something completely inconsistent with the earlier moves (something as fubar'd as hiring Dirk Koetter as OC).

It might work out ok, but it is not ideal.

LOL.