Did Terry Fontenont choose Arthur Smith or was it Rich McKay?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or don’t draft a qb at 4 and hit on the draft and watch your team go 12-4 and make the playoffs 

He was a great hire so it doesnt matter who hired him. 

I'm not sure where all this Rich Mckay hate comes from. I'm not the biggest fan but he's got to be the perfect person for the liaison job between the owner and football operations. He's got plenty of

57 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yep. Hilarious how that's not even an option despite the Falcons being in much much better shape now than they were entering the 2008 season.

The  Falcons had very nice pieces in back in 2008  stating we are in much much better shape now is a HUGE exaggeration.  

1 hour ago, insight said:

The  Falcons had very nice pieces in back in 2008  stating we are in much much better shape now is a HUGE exaggeration.  

No it's not. The Falcons as an entire team is much better now than it was going into 2008. Just look at the 2008 opening day starting lineup and compare it to the lineup the Falcons ended the 2020 season with. There's no comparison. The only starters on the 2008 team that I would take over starters that ended the 2020 season is Justin Blalock, Ovie Mughelli, John Abraham, Michael Turner, Michael Boley, Jonathan Babineau and Lawyer Milloy. We're talking about only 7 starters out of 22.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

No it's not. The Falcons as an entire team is much better now than it was going into 2008. Just look at the 2008 opening day starting lineup and compare it to the lineup the Falcons ended the 2020 season with. There's no comparison. The only starters on the 2008 team that I would take over starters that ended the 2020 season is Justin Blalock, Ovie Mughelli, John Abraham, Michael Turner, Michael Boley, Jonathan Babineau and Lawyer Milloy. We're talking about only 7 starters out of 22.

I agree to disagree.

After looking at the roster again I would say the 2008 team was easily more talented than this current team.  Outside of a few players like Ryan, Julio, Grady Jarrett and maybe Deon Jones  who are blue chip players the rest of the roster was not that good in 2020 and lacked depth. 

2008 you had players like Brent Grimes, Todd Mcclure, Roddy White, Eric Weems Dominque  Foxworth who were all above average players.

59 minutes ago, insight said:

I agree to disagree.

After looking at the roster again I would say the 2008 team was easily more talented than this current team.  Outside of a few players like Ryan, Julio, Grady Jarrett and maybe Deon Jones  who are blue chip players the rest of the roster was not that good in 2020 and lacked depth. 

2008 you had players like Brent Grimes, Todd Mcclure, Roddy White, Eric Weems Dominque  Foxworth who were all above average players.

Brent Grimes wasn't a starter for the Falcons in 2008. I was looking at starter vs. starter.

• Matt Ryan (2008) vs. Matt Ryan (2020) = Matt Ryan 2020
  • Michael Turner vs. Todd Gurley = Michael Turner
  • Ovie Mughelli vs. Keith Smith = Ovie Mughelli
  • Roddy White vs. Julio Jones = Julio Jones
  • Michael Jenkins vs. Calvin Ridley = Calvin Ridley
  • Ben Hartsock vs. Hayden Hurst = Hayden Hurst
  • Todd Weiner vs. Jake Matthews = Jake Matthews
  • Justin Blalock vs. James Carpenter = Justin Blalock
  • Todd McClure vs. Alex Mack = Alex Mack
  • Harvey Dahl vs. Chris Lidstrom = Chris Lidstrom
  • Tyson Clabo vs. Kaleb McGary = Tyson Clabo
  • John Abraham vs. Dante Fowler = John Abraham
  • Jonathan Babineax vs. Grady Jarrett = Grady Jarrett
  • Grady Jackson vs. Tyeler Davidson = Grady Jackson
  • Jamaal Anderson vs. Steven Means = Steven Means
  • Michael Boley vs. Mychal Walker = Michael Boley
  • Curtis Lofton vs. Deion Jones = Deion Jones
  • Keith Brooking vs. Foyesade Oluokun = Foyesade Oluokun
  • Dominique Foxworthy vs. A.J. Terrell = A.J. Terrell
  • Chris Houston vs. Isaiah Oliver = Isaiah Oliver
  • Lawyer Milloy vs. Ricardo Allen = Ricardo Allen
  • Erik Coleman vs. Keanu Neal = Keanu Neal

Now this doesn't match up perfectly but it gives you a bit of a picture at what I'm talking about. Of course you'd take guys like Roddy White and Jonathan Babineaux over the likes of Russell Gage and Tyeler Davidson in a heartbeat. And I agree that the depth on the 2008 squad was a little better than it was on the 2020 team. But looking at the starting lineups, the 2020 team has more talent than the 2008 team. If the 2020 team had the 2008 coaching staff they would have won 11 or 12 games. The coaching disaster of the last two seasons have been the worst coaching job I've seen since the June Jones days.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I get the feeling Terry Fontenont didn't hire Arthur Smith. Reports were that Fontenont wanted Nathaniel Hackett or Joe Brady. I get the vibe that Arthur Smith may have been a Rich McKay idea. I haven't seen any evidence that Fontenont made the hire. He probably was okay with it but it may not have been his first choice.

McKay and blank wanted to keep ryan qb for life.  While publicly they said the next coach and gm will decide, they went and hired a coach that would agree to keep ryan here for life.  That's why they hired Smith, because smith sold them on turning ryan around like Tannehill.  So ultimatly blank and McKay are still pulling the strings behind the scenes.  We would have never hired a coach that said we were gonna draft a QB and trade ryan no matter how good that coach is.

Edited by BLM
2 hours ago, BLM said:

McKay and blank wanted to keep ryan qb for life.  While publicly they said the next coach and gm will decide, they went and hired a coach that would agree to keep ryan here for life.  That's why they hired Smith, because smith sold them on turning ryan around like Tannehill.  So ultimatly blank and McKay are still pulling the strings behind the scenes.  We would have never hired a coach that said we were gonna draft a QB and trade ryan no matter how good that coach is.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I think they should go ahead and let Matt and Julio finish their contracts. It's not like the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning will be on the board at 4.

11 hours ago, insight said:

I agree to disagree.

You do realize RW just had one 1000 yard season, he had drop problems and most of the fan base was calling him bust.

Foxworth wasn't that well known either, Falcons acquired him late in the offseason.

Brent Grimes wasn't the starter in 2008. 

Eric Weems was not the returner in 2008. Any one remember Adam Jennings? After he was cut, HD was returning punts and Norwood was KR. 

Did you watch the games in 2008 or you just made it up.

59 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You do realize RW just had one 1000 yard season, he had drop problems and most of the fan base was calling him bust.

Foxworth wasn't that well known either, Falcons acquired him late in the offseason.

Brent Grimes wasn't the starter in 2008. 

Eric Weems was not the returner in 2008. Any one remember Adam Jennings? After he was cut, HD was returning punts and Norwood was KR. 

Did you watch the games in 2008 or you just made it up.

Oh it's you again, the guy who said coaches are not judged on wins and loses. 

Roddy White was drafted in 2005 nobody was calling him a bust in 2008, coming off a 1,200 season.
Since you like what fans say, Fans thought Harry Douglas was a #1 receiver before he tore he knee up. 
Foxworth was not  known by you big deal , he still was the best corner on the team and better than any corner on the 2020 team. 
I never said Brent Grimes was a starter,  I pointed out how the 2008 roster was much deeper than 2020.  
If you watched the games and knew the 53 man rosters you would understand this.   
I never said Weems was the returner, my point was the  2008 ROSTER was more talented and deeper than this years team. 

You are hilarious, I posted on the Falcons forum after games in 2008 and well before then.   

You are a pretender! 

Edited by insight
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

They had never worked together and didn't know each other. When we interviewed Fontenot, we told him we really liked Arthur's interview, so Fontenot reached out to Arthur.

Based on all that, I think Fontenot realized, if he wanted the GM position, he had to give the thumbs up to Arthur Smith.

In other words, it is not really ideal. McKay picked Fontenot and Arthur, and that means they both have to cave in to McKay's opinions. So we really have 1 and a half head coaches, and 1 and a half GMs.

It's a dysfunctional set up. It leads to schizophrenia. Imagine, for example, Arthur Smith makes 90% of offseason moves according to his plan, and then, towards the end, McKay dictates something completely inconsistent with the earlier moves (something as fubar'd as hiring Dirk Koetter as OC).

It might work out ok, but it is not ideal.

Lol this is just nonsense and not the case at all. 

I think what bugs me the most about this confounded message board that we all know & love is the fact that we work so hard to find out just who we need to blame for everything. 

Even before the guys have any chance of showing what they can do, a thread will come out about whose fault it will be or who we can blame when/if things go wrong.  

I despise this backbiting approach to anything.  Business, Social, Sports, family, relationships, you name it.  It provides for certain misery & lack of peace imo.

We are all imperfect people & when you live your life in a hopelessly secular world & rely on the world for your stance, then it makes complete sense.  Yeah, that's my opinion & i'm sticking to it.    

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Following the order of things, Rick Mckay chose Smith, then chose Fontenot, and got Blank's approval for both of them.

Actually, Fontenot was doing research and interviewing HC candidates independently before taking the GM job.

DJ Shockley said it in this video. Start at about 4:15.

32 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Actually, Fontenot was doing research and interviewing HC candidates independently before taking the GM job.

DJ Shockley said it in this video. Start at about 4:15.

Interviewing candidates vs being the guy who hired the guy announced as coach BEFORE you were hired is two different things. Never once in the process did it appear Fontenot was in charge of picking his own head coach. It might work out but it appears that Rich Mckay is the defacto GM of the Falcons.

I don't think we should speculate too much.  But if we're honest, I don't believe TF is a man without conviction or principles... and if he were somehow not a supporter of AS, then he wouldn't have signed on to his hiring or chose to make Atlanta his new home.  And since he is a man of conviction, he has signed onto this hiring & is 100% supportive.  Unless you have some sort of tiny, itty bitty agenda, you can suggest all kinds of reasons he is not connected to or part of this new plan, this new regime, this new era.  If you have 100% proof otherwise, it's probably backbiting & inuendo.  My gosh folks, this is exactly what I am talking about.  Some of you just won't be happy unless you cast doubt & shadows over everything.  :D   

Does or matter, provided that they share a vision, have the same principles, get along and are happy to work together?

One of the downsides of having to make new hires at both positions in the same off-season, is that you don’t really have time to postpone your coaching search until you have hired a GM.

11 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Interviewing candidates vs being the guy who hired the guy announced as coach BEFORE you were hired is two different things. Never once in the process did it appear Fontenot was in charge of picking his own head coach. It might work out but it appears that Rich Mckay is the defacto GM of the Falcons.

Never said he did. But Fontenot did know about Arthur Smith and agreed to become GM with knowing Smith would be the HC.

Fontenot had already agreed to be Falcons GM a few weeks before he was officially hired. He said that he wanted to finish up with the Saints in the postseason before being officially being hired. Fontenot would've been hired before Arthur Smith.

You are acting like Blank and McKay just forced Smith on Fontenot. That doesn't seem to be the case.

At the end of the day, both wanted and agreed to work with each other. So it doesn't really matter either way.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:49 PM, PointSwayzee said:

What world is that 4th draft a rebound??

we got 4 starters out of the draft.

if you have a moment, look at most teams in the NFL in the same fashion. THE BEST GMs usually end up with 2 solid starter quality players each draft and some drafts they hit on more. I am in philly. Look at their drafts thru the past 5 years, 10 years. Most players arent on the team after 3 years, never start and we are talking 1st and 2nds. We may not consistently hit on firsts but in the past 2 decades we have consistently shown that we come away from most drafts with a good player or 2. We probably need to start a new thread but look at our last 10 drafts for example. Look how many people were in the league even after we got rid of them.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, slider said:

How did it suck exactly? What was this team before McKay came around?

I remember the days of Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett, Finneran, Roddy White, not bad after what we had between 1998 and 2004.

First Draft:

2004 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 8 DeAngelo Hall *  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
1 29 Michael Jenkins  Wide receiver Ohio State  
3 90 Matt Schaub *  Quarterback Virginia  
4 101 Demorrio Williams  Linebacker Nebraska  
5 142 Chad Lavalais  Defensive tackle LSU  
6 186 Etric Pruitt  Defensive back Southern Miss  
7 219 Quincy Wilson  Running back West Virginia  
      Made roster    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

Second Draft:

2005 Atlanta Falcons draft
1 27 Roddy White *  Wide receiver UAB  
2 59 Jonathan Babineaux  Defensive tackle Iowa  
3 90 Jordan Beck  Linebacker Cal Poly  
4 128 Chauncey Davis  Defensive end Florida State  
5 160 Michael Boley  Linebacker Southern Miss  
5 163 Frank Omiyale  Offensive tackle Tennessee Tech  
6 201 DeAndra Cobb  Running back Michigan State  
7 241 Darrell Shropshire  Defensive tackle South

Third Draft (Not his Best):

2006 Atlanta Falcons draft
2 37 Jimmy Williams  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
3 79 Jerious Norwood  Running back Mississippi State  
5 139 Quinn Ojinnaka  Guard Syracuse  
6 184 Adam Jennings  Wide receiver Fresno State  
7 223 D. J. Shockley  Quarterback Georgia

Fourth Draft (Rebound):

2007 Atlanta Falcons draft
1 8 Jamaal Anderson  Defensive end Arkansas from Houston
2 39 Justin Blalock  Guard Texas from Houston
2 41 Chris Houston  Cornerback Arkansas from Minnesota
3 75 Laurent Robinson  Wide receiver Illinois State  
4 109 Stephen Nicholas  Linebacker South Florida Compensatory selection
4 133 Martrez Milner  Tight end Georgia  
6 185 Trey Lewis  Defensive tackle Washburn from Jacksonville
6 194 David Irons  Cornerback Auburn from Jacksonville, thru Denver
6 198 Doug Datish  Center Ohio State from Jacksonville, thru Baltimore
6 203 Daren Stone  Safety Maine  
7 244 Jason Snelling  Running back Virginia Compensat

Rich McKay

Atlanta Falcons[edit]

In December 2003, McKay left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to become president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. In his first season of directing operations, the Falcons went to the NFC Championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles. In January 2008, the Falcons hired Thomas Dimitroff as general manager, relegating McKay to the position of team president, although McKay negotiated Matt Ryan's contract. McKay's Falcons in 2010–11 had 9 Pro Bowlers.

Sixteen years after building Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, McKay, as President and CEO of the Atlanta Falcons, worked closely with Falcons Chairman and owner Arthur Blank, the city of Atlanta, and the Georgia World Congress Center stadium authority to secure approval and financing for the Falcons to build a new $1.2 billion stadium in downtown Atlanta. The Falcons broke ground on the new building on May 19, 2014, and the stadium, known as Mercedes Benz Stadium, opened on August 26, 2017.

McKay is believed to be the only current NFL executive who has been the point person for the negotiations and construction of two NFL stadiums.

NFL committees[edit]

McKay is the longest standing member in the history of the NFL Competition Committee (26 consecutive years, 22 of which he has served in the chairmanship role), making him one of the more influential executives in the league.[5]

McKay has served on the NFL Management Council Working Group of League executives that helps advise on collective bargaining issues.[when?] During the 2011 NFL lockout, McKay helped in negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA. McKay is also a member of the NFL's Health & Safety Committee.

where is this taken from?

28 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Why are people obsessed with thinking Rich McKay will be in charge just because the HC was hired before the GM? Why does it even matter who was hired first?

19 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Never said he did. But Fontenot did know about Arthur Smith and agreed to become GM with knowing Smith would be the HC.

Fontenot had already agreed to be Falcons GM a few weeks before he was officially hired. He said that he wanted to finish up with the Saints in the postseason before being officially being hired. Fontenot would've been hired before Arthur Smith.

You are acting like Blank and McKay just forced Smith on Fontenot. That doesn't seem to be the case.

At the end of the day, both wanted and agreed to work with each other. So it doesn't really matter either way.

Exactly. It was even posted here that Fontenot was going to be the Falcons GM before Smith was ever announced as HC. I just don't get it.

By all accounts Terry was a hot GM prospect, and likely even being groomed to be Loomis' successor in New Orleans if he had chosen to stay there.  If he didn't select or at least approve the head coach, or didn't like the hierarchy of the firm, why would he have taken the job?