Did Terry Fontenont choose Arthur Smith or was it Rich McKay?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or don’t draft a qb at 4 and hit on the draft and watch your team go 12-4 and make the playoffs 

He was a great hire so it doesnt matter who hired him. 

I'm not sure where all this Rich Mckay hate comes from. I'm not the biggest fan but he's got to be the perfect person for the liaison job between the owner and football operations. He's got plenty of

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

It was a committee of peoples that hired Author Schmidt but Rick Macays had some input but the Flacons are run by Author Blanks, and Rick Macays also gave us Kieth Brookings and Bryant Finnerman.  

But Blanks should not have fired Dan Quint either. 

Did Brookings or Finnerman have any input?

This is really a bunch of complaining about nothing. The timing of the hires was due to the Saints still being in the playoffs, but the team announced it planned to offer the job to TF before we zeroed in on Smith. TF didn’t have “a say” in hiring Smith in the sense that no one asked his permission, but he had “a say” in that he was asked about coaches and Smith was the first name he brought up. 

They didn’t hire Arthur Smith and impose him on Fontenot. Really, that’s the concern and it didn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

This is really a bunch of complaining about nothing. The timing of the hires was due to the Saints still being in the playoffs, but the team announced it planned to offer the job to TF before we zeroed in on Smith. TF didn’t have “a say” in hiring Smith in the sense that no one asked his permission, but he had “a say” in that he was asked about coaches and Smith was the first name he brought up. 

They didn’t hire Arthur Smith and impose him on Fontenot. Really, that’s the concern and it didn’t happen. 

I sure don’t think TF would accept such a high pressure-high profile job in which the very first thing his bosses did was undermine maybe the most important decision of his first year. 

11 hours ago, KamiKazee27 said:

If Smith and Fontenot don't work out McKay has to be gone right? I really wanted him gone this offseason but it just doesn't seem like that is ever going to happen.

Don't worry about McKay. He's a smart dude. He's got his thumb on the macroeconomics (big picture). AB needs a guy like that so he doesn't become Jerry Jones of old. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Not what the Falcons said and the time line. Sure they asked each other’s opinion. NFL has changed now. GMs are fired if the new coach doesn’t like the GM. HC are paid way more than a GM. 

15 hours ago, slider said:

I'm not sure where all this Rich Mckay hate comes from. I'm not the biggest fan but he's got to be the perfect person for the liaison job between the owner and football operations. He's got plenty of knowledge and nothing I've ever heard from any GM or HC suggests that McKay has ever interfered with the day to day football operation. To AB's credit, he knew trying to run the show like Jerry Jones was not the right thing to do and I speculate that he knew he needed to insert someone in there that could tell him when, he as an owner, should think twice before pushing a player in a wheelchair on the sideline for example. McKay seems to be the guy he trusts so more power to him. People just have to make up someone to blame or to credit to prove their point sometimes I guess.

If I was a busy, billionaire owner of a team I'd set it up with a Rich McKay type minding the store just like he has.

I'd love to have a draft as successful as the 1st one Rich McKay presided over as TB's GM!

GO FALCONS!!!!

54 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Not what the Falcons said and the time line. Sure they asked each other’s opinion. NFL has changed now. GMs are fired if the new coach doesn’t like the GM. HC are paid way more than a GM. 

The Falcons said they imposed AS on TF?

As for the timeline, I remember it well. Remember all those rumors (based solely on the fact they worked together for 1 season) we were pairing Brady and Fontenot? That’s because we had zeroed in on Fontenot. What people didn’t know is Fontenot had already been asked about coaches and the first name he mentioned was Arthur Smith. I’m not sure what you think “the Falcons said” but the press conferences, tweets and news clips are all there for everyone to peruse. Not to mention it just happened a couple of weeks ago so I know what I saw. 

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

People really have a way of just making **** up lol

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The Falcons said they imposed AS on TF?

As for the timeline, I remember it well. Remember all those rumors (based solely on the fact they worked together for 1 season) we were pairing Brady and Fontenot? That’s because we had zeroed in on Fontenot. What people didn’t know is Fontenot had already been asked about coaches and the first name he mentioned was Arthur Smith. I’m not sure what you think “the Falcons said” but the press conferences, tweets and news clips are all there for everyone to peruse. Not to mention it just happened a couple of weeks ago so I know what I saw. 

It is not uncommon in NFL now to have coaches prefer GMs than other way. Shanny wanted Lynch, Stefanski was first hired in Cleveland before they even started GM search. 
Detroit waited for Dan Campbell to be available as HC after Aints lost. They just announced Dorsey as the GM yesterday. 
AS was much further along than TF, it was said both were asked who they would like to work with when hired. AS wanted TF. 
The NFL coaches get paid 3-6 times more than a GM makes in a year. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It is not uncommon in NFL now to have coaches prefer GMs than other way. Shanny wanted Lynch, Stefanski was first hired in Cleveland before they even started GM search. 
Detroit waited for Dan Campbell to be available as HC after Aints lost. They just announced Dorsey as the GM yesterday. 
AS was much further along than TF, it was said both were asked who they would like to work with when hired. AS wanted TF. 
The NFL coaches get paid 3-6 times more than a GM makes in a year. 

Okay. But we know what happened here because they told us. I’m not saying TF chose Smith. I am saying Smith wasn’t imposed on him against his will. Because TF also wanted AS. 

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Okay. But we know what happened here because they told us. I’m not saying TF chose Smith. I am saying Smith wasn’t imposed on him against his will. Because TF also wanted AS. 

Impose isn’t the word I would use. From what AB, AS and TF said, AS was further along the hiring process and Falcons decided on AS before the TF. Both were ok with working together. Either ways, both reporting to McKay shows more a peer relationship than GM being the boss. 
NFL has evolved to more HC centric than GM as power center. 
Bottom line both of these guys have to work with each other with McKay as the boss. MS reported to TD. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Impose isn’t the word I would use. From what AB, AS and TF said, AS was further along the hiring process and Falcons decided on AS before the TF. Both were ok with working together. Either ways, both reporting to McKay shows more a peer relationship than GM being the boss. 
NFL has evolved to more HC centric than GM as power center. 
Bottom line both of these guys have to work with each other with McKay as the boss. MS reported to TD. 

I guess I’m rejecting any argument that they don’t want to work together. I don’t care which hire they prioritized. In fact, I prefer prioritizing the coach. But the implication that TF’s opinion about AS was not considered or not relevant doesn’t square with the facts we’ve been given. 

Just now, JDaveG said:

I guess I’m rejecting any argument that they don’t want to work together. I don’t care which hire they prioritized. In fact, I prefer prioritizing the coach. But the implication that TF’s opinion about AS was not considered or not relevant doesn’t square with the facts we’ve been given. 

I never said TFs opinion wasn’t considered. In fact AB talked about TF liking AS over Joe Brady. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

I never said TFs opinion wasn’t considered. In fact AB talked about TF liking AS over Joe Brady. 

Exactly. But in this thread there is some implication, not in your posts but certainly in others, that TF really wanted Joe Brady. There is zero evidence that would lead anyone to believe that. Speculation was based on tweets from people because Joe Brady was a low level assistant in New Orleans. It was not based on anything TF or the team said. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Exactly. But in this thread there is some implication, not in your posts but certainly in others, that TF really wanted Joe Brady. There is zero evidence that would lead anyone to believe that. Speculation was based on tweets from people because Joe Brady was a low level assistant in New Orleans. It was not based on anything TF or the team said. 

There were reports a week before Arthur Smith hiring saying  Nathaniel Hackett was paired up with Terry Fontenont. D-Led speculated that Rick Smith and Arthur Smith would get hired by the Falcons. The Fontenont and Smith pairing seemed to come out of nowhere. 

I do remember when we hired Dan Quinn it was actually up to Dan Quinn if he wanted to keep Dimitroff or not. 

1 minute ago, PointSwayzee said:

He brought us Abe and Coleman so I have to give credit on the DLine for sure. Then he went and picked JA98, who looked about as athletic as a fencepost. Still never know how he got like 14 sacks at Arkansas. 

Babs was a pretty good choice. But yea that JA98 pick got him kicked upstairs I think.

In the interviews done so far, Fontenot said he didn't know Smith but he was familiar with him from starting to research him a year or two ago. Blank asked his opinion on all the coaching candidates scheduled and asked what he thought; Fontenot told Blank he really liked Smith (and presumably a couple other coaches). Also asked Fonts thoughts when Blank and McKay narrowed it down to 2nd interviews, and Font said he really liked Smith. 

So it sounds like the narrowing down was done by Blank and McKay but Font basically picked from there.

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There were reports a week before Arthur Smith hiring saying  Nathaniel Hackett was paired up with Terry Fontenont. D-Led speculated that Rick Smith and Arthur Smith would get hired by the Falcons. The Fontenont and Smith pairing seemed to come out of nowhere. 

I do remember when we hired Dan Quinn it was actually up to Dan Quinn if he wanted to keep Dimitroff or not. 

That’s right. And the reason it came out of nowhere is the speculation by reporters and Twitter personalities was loose. And wrong.