Jump to content

Did Terry Fontenont choose Arthur Smith or was it Rich McKay?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or don’t draft a qb at 4 and hit on the draft and watch your team go 12-4 and make the playoffs 

He was a great hire so it doesnt matter who hired him. 

I'm not sure where all this Rich Mckay hate comes from. I'm not the biggest fan but he's got to be the perfect person for the liaison job between the owner and football operations. He's got plenty of

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I get the feeling Terry Fontenont didn't hire Arthur Smith. Reports were that Fontenont wanted Nathaniel Hackett or Joe Brady. I get the vibe that Arthur Smith may have been a Rich McKay idea. I haven't seen any evidence that Fontenont made the hire. He probably was okay with it but it may not have been his first choice.

I was told that the press conference stated that and who would be in control of roster.

I am sure we can believe what is said at press conference. Haha

I like our coach though and don't see the issue with him being hired first since he is going to choose the players he wants anyway. 

I might not like it if i was TF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

I agree, I would too.

The problem comes when (if) McKay ever wants to meddle in GM or HC decisions.

I have no evidence whatsoever that he does so. But if he ever wants to, it looks like he will be able to. 

And then, I know we have done boneheaded things in the past, like hiring Dirk Koetter. It's hard for me to believe a knowledgeable football HC or GM whose job was on the line would do that ... so I wonder if McKay (or Blank) made them do it.

The ideal situation is this -- you hire a genius HC and a genius GM, and you let them do whatever they want, but you hold them accountable (they better win).

It seems we don't have that. Smith and Fontenot can do whatever they want as long as they convince McKay

To me, that's not ideal. It might work out ok anyway. Here's hoping.

Meddle? He is their boss, both Arthur Smith and Fontenot report to Rich Mckay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Matty ICE said:

So ya'll think he's gonna take a job where the first thing they inform him is  that he has no say on the hiring of his coach? 

Co workers of mine seem to think that AB and Rich got their "Yes Man" in Font and possibly AS too. I disagreed with them, but if that was the case, I would highly HIGHLY be disappointed in ownership and Rich!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

The problem comes when (if) McKay ever wants to meddle in GM or HC decisions.

I have no evidence whatsoever that he does so. But if he ever wants to, it looks like he will be able to. 

I trust Arthur Blank to make sure Rich McKay operates as he wishes him to operate, however that may be. I'm sure McKay is not freewheeling without a specific mandate and job description from AB. We can all speculate and make up our soap opera scenarios in an attempt to explain those things we're not privy to...and we do, I'm included. What it comes down to is that we just ride the train in coach and what happens in first class or in the control room we have no real knowledge of. All we can do is judge the character of those in the control positions and let them do their thing.

For me, I get a good feeling about this new set up. I never liked the DQ situation from the get go. I have been wrong once, I'm almost sure of it, the archives are still being searched for evidence however.😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

We have seen what McKay does as GM, and it sucks. If he can override Smith and Fontenot on football decisions, and if he does it a lot, we're looking at 5 more years of suck. 

Rich McKay will have that authority over Smith and Fontenot.  I don't think it's a doom and gloom scenario, McKay did the same thing with Dimitroff and Mike Smith because both had no previous experience.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Yes, Fontenot could not hire anyone, seeing as he was not employed by us at the time

I'm sure he agreed/signed off on it though

I thought we hired Smith first and Fontenot latter ,, I may be wrong. But I don't believe Smith actually hired Fontenot.. I think AB was the  decisions maker for both hires.... I could see it in his eyes.. if you want something to get done right ,, You have to do it yourself.. And thanks to AB ,, He IMO could not have done  better ..  considering  how quick he jumped on the best two Coaches available.. JMO>

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

We have seen what McKay does as GM, and it sucks. If he can override Smith and Fontenot on football decisions, and if he does it a lot, we're looking at 5 more years of suck. 

How did it suck exactly? What was this team before McKay came around?

I remember the days of Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett, Finneran, Roddy White, not bad after what we had between 1998 and 2004.

First Draft:

2004 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 8 DeAngelo Hall *  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
1 29 Michael Jenkins  Wide receiver Ohio State  
3 90 Matt Schaub *  Quarterback Virginia  
4 101 Demorrio Williams  Linebacker Nebraska  
5 142 Chad Lavalais  Defensive tackle LSU  
6 186 Etric Pruitt  Defensive back Southern Miss  
7 219 Quincy Wilson  Running back West Virginia  
      Made roster    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

Second Draft:

2005 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 27 Roddy White *  Wide receiver UAB  
2 59 Jonathan Babineaux  Defensive tackle Iowa  
3 90 Jordan Beck  Linebacker Cal Poly  
4 128 Chauncey Davis  Defensive end Florida State  
5 160 Michael Boley  Linebacker Southern Miss  
5 163 Frank Omiyale  Offensive tackle Tennessee Tech  
6 201 DeAndra Cobb  Running back Michigan State  
7 241 Darrell Shropshire  Defensive tackle South

 

Third Draft (Not his Best):

2006 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
2 37 Jimmy Williams  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
3 79 Jerious Norwood  Running back Mississippi State  
5 139 Quinn Ojinnaka  Guard Syracuse  
6 184 Adam Jennings  Wide receiver Fresno State  
7 223 D. J. Shockley  Quarterback Georgia

Fourth Draft (Rebound):

2007 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 8 Jamaal Anderson  Defensive end Arkansas from Houston
2 39 Justin Blalock  Guard Texas from Houston
2 41 Chris Houston  Cornerback Arkansas from Minnesota
3 75 Laurent Robinson  Wide receiver Illinois State  
4 109 Stephen Nicholas  Linebacker South Florida Compensatory selection
4 133 Martrez Milner  Tight end Georgia  
6 185 Trey Lewis  Defensive tackle Washburn from Jacksonville
6 194 David Irons  Cornerback Auburn from Jacksonville, thru Denver
6 198 Doug Datish  Center Ohio State from Jacksonville, thru Baltimore
6 203 Daren Stone  Safety Maine  
7 244 Jason Snelling  Running back Virginia Compensat

Rich McKay

Atlanta Falcons[edit]

In December 2003, McKay left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to become president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. In his first season of directing operations, the Falcons went to the NFC Championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles. In January 2008, the Falcons hired Thomas Dimitroff as general manager, relegating McKay to the position of team president, although McKay negotiated Matt Ryan's contract. McKay's Falcons in 2010–11 had 9 Pro Bowlers.

Sixteen years after building Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, McKay, as President and CEO of the Atlanta Falcons, worked closely with Falcons Chairman and owner Arthur Blank, the city of Atlanta, and the Georgia World Congress Center stadium authority to secure approval and financing for the Falcons to build a new $1.2 billion stadium in downtown Atlanta. The Falcons broke ground on the new building on May 19, 2014, and the stadium, known as Mercedes Benz Stadium, opened on August 26, 2017.

McKay is believed to be the only current NFL executive who has been the point person for the negotiations and construction of two NFL stadiums.

NFL committees[edit]

McKay is the longest standing member in the history of the NFL Competition Committee (26 consecutive years, 22 of which he has served in the chairmanship role), making him one of the more influential executives in the league.[5]

McKay has served on the NFL Management Council Working Group of League executives that helps advise on collective bargaining issues.[when?] During the 2011 NFL lockout, McKay helped in negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA. McKay is also a member of the NFL's Health & Safety Committee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, slider said:

How did it suck exactly? What was this team before McKay came around?

I remember the days of Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett, Finneran, Roddy White, not bad after what we had between 1998 and 2004.

First Draft:

2004 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 8 DeAngelo Hall *  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
1 29 Michael Jenkins  Wide receiver Ohio State  
3 90 Matt Schaub *  Quarterback Virginia  
4 101 Demorrio Williams  Linebacker Nebraska  
5 142 Chad Lavalais  Defensive tackle LSU  
6 186 Etric Pruitt  Defensive back Southern Miss  
7 219 Quincy Wilson  Running back West Virginia  
      Made roster    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

Second Draft:

2005 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 27 Roddy White *  Wide receiver UAB  
2 59 Jonathan Babineaux  Defensive tackle Iowa  
3 90 Jordan Beck  Linebacker Cal Poly  
4 128 Chauncey Davis  Defensive end Florida State  
5 160 Michael Boley  Linebacker Southern Miss  
5 163 Frank Omiyale  Offensive tackle Tennessee Tech  
6 201 DeAndra Cobb  Running back Michigan State  
7 241 Darrell Shropshire  Defensive tackle South

 

Third Draft (Not his Best):

2006 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
2 37 Jimmy Williams  Cornerback Virginia Tech  
3 79 Jerious Norwood  Running back Mississippi State  
5 139 Quinn Ojinnaka  Guard Syracuse  
6 184 Adam Jennings  Wide receiver Fresno State  
7 223 D. J. Shockley  Quarterback Georgia

Fourth Draft (Rebound):

2007 Atlanta Falcons draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 8 Jamaal Anderson  Defensive end Arkansas from Houston
2 39 Justin Blalock  Guard Texas from Houston
2 41 Chris Houston  Cornerback Arkansas from Minnesota
3 75 Laurent Robinson  Wide receiver Illinois State  
4 109 Stephen Nicholas  Linebacker South Florida Compensatory selection
4 133 Martrez Milner  Tight end Georgia  
6 185 Trey Lewis  Defensive tackle Washburn from Jacksonville
6 194 David Irons  Cornerback Auburn from Jacksonville, thru Denver
6 198 Doug Datish  Center Ohio State from Jacksonville, thru Baltimore
6 203 Daren Stone  Safety Maine  
7 244 Jason Snelling  Running back Virginia Compensat

Rich McKay

Atlanta Falcons[edit]

In December 2003, McKay left the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to become president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. In his first season of directing operations, the Falcons went to the NFC Championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles. In January 2008, the Falcons hired Thomas Dimitroff as general manager, relegating McKay to the position of team president, although McKay negotiated Matt Ryan's contract. McKay's Falcons in 2010–11 had 9 Pro Bowlers.

Sixteen years after building Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, McKay, as President and CEO of the Atlanta Falcons, worked closely with Falcons Chairman and owner Arthur Blank, the city of Atlanta, and the Georgia World Congress Center stadium authority to secure approval and financing for the Falcons to build a new $1.2 billion stadium in downtown Atlanta. The Falcons broke ground on the new building on May 19, 2014, and the stadium, known as Mercedes Benz Stadium, opened on August 26, 2017.

McKay is believed to be the only current NFL executive who has been the point person for the negotiations and construction of two NFL stadiums.

NFL committees[edit]

McKay is the longest standing member in the history of the NFL Competition Committee (26 consecutive years, 22 of which he has served in the chairmanship role), making him one of the more influential executives in the league.[5]

McKay has served on the NFL Management Council Working Group of League executives that helps advise on collective bargaining issues.[when?] During the 2011 NFL lockout, McKay helped in negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA. McKay is also a member of the NFL's Health & Safety Committee.

Yep. I agree. McKay's a'ight. He's like our Hagen to Michael Corleone. Just call him Signor Consigliori.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

He didn’t sign off though. When Arthur Smith was decided, Fontenot hire wasn’t final. Fontenot did reach out to Arthur Smith after he was hired. 

Don't kid yourself. It was decided. They just couldn't say anything because the Saints were still in it.

TF even said they spoke prior to either one being hired. You can bet he was consulted. Probably like "Hey T-dawg. We're looking at hiring Art. Whatcha think?" 😅😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Don't kid yourself. It was decided. They just couldn't say anything because the Saints were still in it.

TF even said they spoke prior to either one being hired. You can bet he was consulted. Probably like "Hey T-dawg. We're looking at hiring Art. Whatcha think?" 😅😅

 Sure Fontenot was asked about Joe Brady, AS and other candidates interviewed. AB talked about Joe Brady working with Fontenot. AB did say As recommended TF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

What world is that 4th draft a rebound??

  At a certain point there is no where to go but up ... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

... He did get Snelling in the 7th tho so there is that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PensacolaFalcon said:

  At a certain point there is no where to go but up ... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

... He did get Snelling in the 7th tho so there is that.

Not sure what draft was worse honestly, but I guess your right with Snelling..lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insight said:

Rich McKay will have that authority over Smith and Fontenot.  I don't think it's a doom and gloom scenario, McKay did the same thing with Dimitroff and Mike Smith because both had no previous experience.  

Bro with a lot of Falcon fans, it's always doom and gloom. TD is gone, and now the cross hairs have moved to a new target.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...