Do you guys ever wonder...

BAMF

It’s not like he slipped in the parking lot and AB offered him a gig. He’s like any player on any roster or PT, good enough to have gotten there. Best in his HS district, Best in his college...

maybe he could light it up or maybe he’s a safety net. But he should have been given reps late this year because there is something concerning about having no backup plan. I’m not wishing any misfortune on anyone. But wouldn’t it be comforting to know if he’s capable if his number gets called?

He wouldn’t have lost the W with Las Vegas, why not take some snaps in the 4th?  

1 minute ago, Killing Floor said:

It’s not like he slipped in the parking lot and AB offered him a gig. He’s like any player on any roster or PT, good enough to have gotten there. Best in his HS district, Best in his college...

maybe he could light it up or maybe he’s a safety net. But he should have been given reps late this year because there is something concerning about having no backup plan. I’m not wishing any misfortune on anyone. But wouldn’t it be comforting to know if he’s capable if his number gets called?

He wouldn’t have lost the W with Las Vegas, why not take some snaps in the 4th?  

My guess, the coaches were playing for jobs.  Not football player development on a team they knew was ****canning them at the end of the season.  A visual resume.  Raheem and Ulrich got coordinator jobs.  

Yeah. We need a backup. Nobody, not even me, wants to talk why you need a backup. But here’s a guy. We can hold him for pretty cheap. Throw him some snaps or “maybe/hopefully” there’s a preseason. If Benkert isn’t the guy, OK. But we need someone and Schaub is gone. Because if his number gets called you at least want him to be sharp. 

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Gotta be bad practice habits.

Same with Ollison.

He has shown in very limited carries that he can be an effective  short yardage/goal line back.

But his practice reps must not be good.

Morris alluded to him having to earn his PT....so maybe he has not been good in practice.

That would make sense...  EXCEPT that would require us to also believe that Beasley was working his *** off in Practice.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Would love to find out. He was inducted into his high school hall of fame last year. Would love to see him at least get a shot

I have a feeling Benkert is going to be among the players that get extra scrutiny by AS and TF. They would probably like nothing better than to find he's their ace in the hole for the QB succession situation.

I don’t believe Benkert is all that special in terms of his QB talent and acumen. However, I do believe that he has picked up the playbook well, that he does what is expected of him, and that he looks to improve. I believe he is ready to step into the role of 2nd team backup and assisting Ryan in the manner that Schaub did. Is he the future, I doubt it, but you never know, we’ll see how he looks in the preseason.

Its always possible they saw something in him.  More likely they saw him as the longterm heir apparent to Schaub who honestly we should have moved on from 2 years ago. College quarterbacks are way more polished now than the days of Brady and Warner getting their shot so I think finding a diamond in the rough is tougher.